News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

LT only rookie ready for NFL on Day 1

Started by ozzie, April 22, 2024, 08:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

Quote from: ozzie on April 22, 2024, 08:13:52 AMhttps://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/21/bill-belichick-new-york-giants-lawrence-taylor-only-nfl-ready-day-1-rookie-ever/

According to Bill Belichik, LT has been the only rookie that was NFL ready on Day 1

This is absolutely true.   Rookies are not NFL-ready; they need to be developed (by quality coaching staff) into NFL players.   That's the part of the drafting equation so many ignore.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

BB said he was the only rookie he coached that was NFL ready on day 1, not of all time. Barry Sanders held out of training camp as a rookie and had 80 yards or so with almost no practice in his first game.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

bamagiantfan

Quote from: TDToomer on April 22, 2024, 10:47:50 AMBB said he was the only rookie he coached that was NFL ready on day 1, not of all time. Barry Sanders held out of training camp as a rookie and had 80 yards or so with almost no practice in his first game.

Barry Sanders' final (Junior) year remains for me one of the most underappreciated performances in college football history. I don't know if he was ready Day one for the NFL. I only know the NFL wasn't ready Day 1 for him.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

ozzie

Quote from: TDToomer on April 22, 2024, 10:47:50 AMBB said he was the only rookie he coached that was NFL ready on day 1, not of all time. Barry Sanders held out of training camp as a rookie and had 80 yards or so with almost no practice in his first game.
Yes TD, I misquoted that. BB did say LT was the only rookie HE Coached.
Thanks for correcting that.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

ozzie

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 22, 2024, 08:21:00 AMThis is absolutely true.   Rookies are not NFL-ready; they need to be developed (by quality coaching staff) into NFL players.   That's the part of the drafting equation so many ignore.
It's funny you brought this up, Rich. Just yesterday my friend and I were discussing that in the NFL, if you're drafted anywhere in the first 3 rounds, you're expected to contribute almost immediately. If you get drafted into the NHL or MLB, it could be years before the club brings you up to the "Big Squad". You play in their system, get conditioning and coaching and they groom you to be ready for the big leagues. There are exceptions of course, but most draftees are given time to develop.
I don't know how the NBA handles this as I am not a big hoops fan.
Funny how different leagues take different approaches to this.

John Mara

TDToomer

Quote from: ozzie on April 22, 2024, 01:37:45 PMIt's funny you brought this up, Rich. Just yesterday my friend and I were discussing that in the NFL, if you're drafted anywhere in the first 3 rounds, you're expected to contribute almost immediately. If you get drafted into the NHL or MLB, it could be years before the club brings you up to the "Big Squad". You play in their system, get conditioning and coaching and they groom you to be ready for the big leagues. There are exceptions of course, but most draftees are given time to develop.
I don't know how the NBA handles this as I am not a big hoops fan.
Funny how different leagues take different approaches to this.

The NBA had a D-league but from what I understand only 2nd round picks and undrafted players get assigned there. NBA top picks go straight to the NBA and learn on the job. If they are not ready they are mostly practice players/reserves.

I love that MLB and NHL have a dedicated minor league and that the NHL allows draft and follows where players are encouraged to continue their development in Canadian Junior leagues or at the NCAA level instead of being minor league pros as teenagers when they are not mentally ready.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs