News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Moral Superiority

Started by MightyGiants, December 23, 2019, 08:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

There were a lot of fans after the game acting like they were morally superior and the Giants' victory vindicated their views and beliefs.

I am not sure why anyone wanting Daniel Jones being terrorized by the Skin's Chase Young twice a year is morally superior to those that wanted Chase Young terrorizing QBs on behalf of the Giants.

Look, there are two views fans take.  Some take the long term view (and prefer defeats in meaningless games to gain better draft picks) and others prefer the short term thrill that comes with winning meaningless games.   Neither side is right and neither side is wrong.  It's like chocolate VS vanilla, there is no right and wrong and liking one flavor or the other doesn't make one morally superior or a better person.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Sadly the vitriol that marks our politics is creeping over to other facets of life. Fans of good faith can view the situation differently and still be good fans. Anyone who questions the fandom of others should probably reconsider their participation here. It

T200

The lack of respect with regards to other fans' viewpoints and perspectives is baffling to me.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Cottage

Every year there are dozens of players not drafted in the top 5, that turn into very good players, and even stars.  We should not root for tanking IMO.  Also, Chase Young is as likely to be a bust, as he is to be a star in the NFL. 

This week was a very entertaining game, and our 2 most important young stars both balled out!  Take the win.

MightyGiants

MB, and T200,

I think you're both right.

I think the toxic nature of our current politics is slipping into our everyday right.

I also think that people tend to forget it's better to be kind and a good friend than obsessing about proving you were right (ironically it doesn't seem to matter if you actually were right or not)

In the end, I have to think there is a better way to deal with people that have differing points of view than what we have been seeing.  Civility isn't just about not openly calling someone else an insulting name.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

coggs

Yesterday was fine until 2 certain people started saying people weren't real fans or they were phony because they disagrees on the benefit of winning yesterday vs the benefit of the better draft pick. 

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 23, 2019, 08:21:01 AM
There were a lot of fans after the game acting like they were morally superior and the Giants' victory vindicated their views and beliefs.

I am not sure why anyone wanting Daniel Jones being terrorized by the Skin's Chase Young twice a year is morally superior to those that wanted Chase Young terrorizing QBs on behalf of the Giants.

Look, there are two views fans take.  Some take the long term view (and prefer defeats in meaningless games to gain better draft picks) and others prefer the short term thrill that comes with winning meaningless games.   Neither side is right and neither side is wrong.  It's like chocolate VS vanilla, there is no right and wrong and liking one flavor or the other doesn't make one morally superior or a better person.

While I agree with the overall premise that it
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Ed Vette

Quote from: babywhales on December 23, 2019, 09:51:49 AM

How many times have you had to say this?

Sadly there will be more

Too many. Three people shut down.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin