News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tell me again why we do this?

Started by Ed Vette, November 07, 2023, 03:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

The Giants' record for the last ten years is:

63-107-1  .368 winning %

Points For- 3364
Points Against- 4121

Besides Games at the stadium and on TV, watching podcasts, analyzing footage, and reporting on training camp, some of us have spent a half year to almost a full year of our lives Online here discussing Giants Football. Rich has spent 3.4 years of his life dedicated to this team and this organization.

To put this in perspective, let's look back at the Wilderness Days of 1964 - 1974.

55-95-4  .357 winning % 

The true outliers have been the Parcells and Coughlin generations. Pockets of about 7-8 years of good competitive and championship Football.

I don't know about any of you but Owa Tagu Syam...

The thing is, we have become so used to this that we have become numb and complacent and accepting of this crappy product almost year in and year out, with a little taste of success only to fall back into the abyss. I loved going to the games but I have to say that I'm so happy that I walked away from my seat license to save a lot of money and a lot of time.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

You've seen this team win 4 Super Bowls. Many fans of other teams would sign up for that.

TDToomer

I thought the Wilderness Years went through the 1980 season? Why stop at 1974 when the Giants were atrocious for another  6 more seasons?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

Quote from: TDToomer on November 07, 2023, 03:44:46 PMI thought the Wilderness Years went through the 1980 season? Why stop at 1974 when the Giants were atrocious for another  6 more seasons?
A comparison span of time.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AYM

Thus again the idea that the Giants are basically the same as the Lions (teams that won in the 50s and collapsed afterward due to inept ownership), except we were lucky enough to have LT and Eli save us from ourselves, and the Lions were not.

MagicRat

Smell my cheese you mother!

PSUBeirut

Gluttons!!!  It's all good, I'm here for the next 40 years, if I'm lucky.  Hopefully we can see a couple more championships. <:-P

Bill Brown

I do it because I'm still at a point in my life that I continue to have hope. I don't expect that will ever change.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gman329

Because we have no choice!  From my first games in Yankee Stadium, with Charlie Conerly at QB, it's been ingrained over 60+ years. It's part of our DNA!  I could talk a big game and say I quit the Giants and will adopt another team.....but I'd be full of sht!  I could no more do that than go to the moon.  I am now, always have been, and will die a NY Giant fan.  It's just the way it is. 

uconnjack8

I started watching football in the early 80's.  So it's a different perspective.  For fans my age, the Parcells and Coughlin era is sandwiched some less prosperous times,  but even then there was a Super Bowl appearance.

In that time getting to see 4 Super Bowl championships really shouldn't be under appreciated regardless of the down days.

When the Giants beat the Broncos for their 1st Lombardi, my father said to me "enjoy it, because you may never see it again".  He might have felt that way because of his NY Rangers fandom, but I think it was more than that.

AZGiantFan

I suspect I've become a bad fan, because it has become easier and easier to emotionally check out on the team and harder and harder for them to suck me back in.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

BluesCruz

Actually its trying to figure out a way out of the wilderness that makes it all interesting

According to the Charts Bew McAdoo should have been allowed to run his own shop and not be bullied the fans and a cowering owner

a chart of todays QBs shows his choice of Geno Smith was in retrospect brilliant

He also argued for drafting Mahommes and was ignored in the draft room

too many cheifs absolutely destroying the soup

if you hire a HC, stand out of his way....we cannot seem to do that

maybe Daboll is just seeing a lull and will turn it around given the chance- which in iteslf is dubious

As for Daniel Jones .... he is snakebit.  Give Tommy Divito a real chance- open up the playbook, at least for entertainments sake- thats all we have left for this year (unless Seattle wants to return Geno)

again though part of the fun of the board is figuring out the pathway to success

there are 32 teams and we have won more than the average teams Lombardi's- go ask a Jets fan
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 08, 2023, 03:22:44 AMI suspect I've become a bad fan, because it has become easier and easier to emotionally check out on the team and harder and harder for them to suck me back in.

That's exactly how I feel, Rich. My Sundays emotions are no longer dependent on the Giants winning or Loosing.  I'm attending this Sundays game in Dallas, but no longer focus on the game itself.  It's now an extra thanksgiving where I get to see my oldest son, brother and other family members...it's more about that now, than the game itself.  Plus, the beer helps. 

DaveBrown74

Once the games are no longer relevant, it's hard to care as much, even for a passionate fan. I would even suggest that if you care as much about this Sunday's game (from a winning standpoint) as you did week one at home against Dallas when everyone had an 0-0 record, your sense of priority may be a bit off. Plus, you have this conflict now of winning perhaps not being the best thing for the franchise, given we're likely in the market for a QB, which means you want as high a pick as possible.

I will certainly be watching on Sunday and rooting for them (as I always do during games), plus I'm kind of curious to see how DeVito handles this challenge, but in no way do I care as much whether they win or not as I did earlier this season when the games mattered. Once they lost the Seattle game in spectacular fashion the way they did, I kind of knew the season was over at that point. I guess I was hoping it wouldn't go completely off the rails the way it did, but let's face it, this is nothing we haven't seen before. Plenty of times. Sadly, Giants fans have become used to this type of season.