News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Which Loss Was Most Telling

Started by Ed Vette, November 09, 2023, 08:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: TDToomer on November 09, 2023, 01:46:03 PMSo many similarities. The Giants were kind of expected to build off their 9-7 1994 team that would have made the playoffs under todays format with Brown taking the next step at QB. With Hershel Walker brought in and Wheatley drafted in the first round to complement Hampton some predicted the Giants would lead the NFL in rushing. Phil Simms number was retired that game. It was so deflating. I think Emmett Smith took the very first play of the game to the house.
I too felt the pain.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

GloryDays

The opener against Dallas was so disappointing because it exposed what I was fearful of, that the O line is still crap, but that game also showed that we have weaknesses in other areas and at the very least, the team was not prepared to fight.

kartanoman

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 09, 2023, 02:04:48 PMI too felt the pain.

I still remember the handling of Simms' benching in 1991, his injury in 1992, his redemption in 1993 and his shocking release in 1994 in leading up to his jersey retirement halftime. The man is still bitter about it today and every time this subject gets brought up I have to fight back tears in writing this because our tough, valiant knight, unconquerable, determined to be the final man standing in the end. Indeed, he was, as he was given a night to be the martyr, for all he had done for a football organization that was about to go into a downward spiral, for a while, as he was being placed on a pedestal for all to see as the standard of the very definition of what "tough guy" was all about in those days. They might have called time on his career, but they couldn't take away his achievements which he worked so hard and so long for.

Consider this. There was a point in history when Phil Simms was mentioned in the same breath as the great Joe Montana.  For those of you who were too young to be involved in that era, Montana was a god-like entity in this Bill Walsh fabled land called Camelot. But as the Giants eventually overwhelmed the 49ers with their amazing defense, and the offensive line blew the 49ers off the line for Joe Morris and Lee Rouson to run roughshod over them, they then had to contend with this #11 guy who made their all-star secondary spin around 'til they were dizzy in trying to stop the likes of dangerous receivers such as ... Stacy Robinson, Bobby Johnson, Lionel Manuel, Phil McConkey. Oh yes, there IS that one legendary figure, Mark Bavaro, who was Phil's go-to target. But Simms completely out-dueled Montana in 1985 and 1986 over a span of three games where Simms tossed a total of eight (8) TDs to Montana only one (1). Camelot lay in complete ruins after the '86 Divisional Playoff 49-3 thrashing in Giants Stadium. But when it was all said and done in Pasadena, CA, our #11 made history as the very first Super Bowl MVP going to Disneyland / Disneyworld. How sweet it was!

Phil never climbed back to the top of the Everest of the game again, despite his teammates carrying him up there one final time in 1990 after he injured his foot. He missed games in every season following the magical 1986 campaign but still led the Giants to winning football four more times and the playoffs three more times. His renaissance final season of 1993 is remembered for how efficient he played and his leadership nearly was enough to will a vastly inferior Giants team to a divisional championship over the best team in football at the time, the Cowboys. He should have been voted the NFL MVP for all the intangible things he meant to the Giants and to the NFL at a time when New York was hurting football-wise and the final curtain call for he and LT was one of the great stories of 1993.

He will likely stay on the outer fringe of the Hall of Fame. So be it. You can look no further than the Giants' Ring of Honor where you will see his name and his number 11 displayed for all to see from here until the end of time. Within the Giants' Legacy Club, you can see the bust of the "Great Phil Simms," as his old head coach describes him. He belongs to us, the "Old Giants Stadium" faithful who were there when he started his first full game against an undefeated Tampa Bay team, that would eventually make it to the NFC Championship game, and Simms and Billy Taylor beat them (NOTE: ironically, Simms also beat the NFC Champion that year, the LA Rams, in Los Angeles, for the Giants' first win in LA in 20 years at that point). If you watched the Cardinals' game earlier this season, and noticed a bunch of #11 jerseys all in a row, that was myself and my family.

Phil Simms was a quarterback for the people of North Jersey at a time when a tough quarterback was needed. We gave him grief when we thought he wasn't showing that toughness but we sure had his back when he did. He lives in our folklore because of it and that's why, as he said in his 1995 speech, "I will always, remember, the Giant fans."

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

ralphpal1

The 49ers game
Even when D Jones had time to.throw he was off
It felt that D Jones was rattled before the pocket collapsed
It felt he was so rattled he threw it before he had to

4 Aces

Dallas.

I was looking forward to week 1 this year more than any in a long time. I legitimately thought we might be a dominant team.

To get smacked 40-0, DJ terrible, Waller & Andrew Thomas hurt, Neal a turn-style. Talk about everything going wrong. And it stayed that way.   

Jaime

For me, it was Seattle. Time to prepare, and 2nd time in a row we are a no show on our home field. That's when I knew Daboll had to go.
NO GUTS, NO GLORY.

And I don't want any part of Barkley.
Draft a QB.
Draft a RT
Draft a DT
Draft a G
Draft a TE
Draft a RB
Sign a G
Sign a Swing T

FIRE HC Daboll           For the life of me, I can't understand how some here are on board for more Daboll???

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jaime on November 10, 2023, 09:56:35 PMFor me, it was Seattle. Time to prepare, and 2nd time in a row we are a no show on our home field. That's when I knew Daboll had to go.
NO GUTS, NO GLORY.

Draft a QB.
Draft a RT
Draft a DT
Draft a G
Draft a TE
Draft a RB
Sign a G
Sign a Swing T

FIRE HC Daboll           For the life of me, I can't understand how some here are on board for more Daboll???
You make a good point about the lack of preparation on a long week.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: Jaime on November 10, 2023, 09:56:35 PMFor me, it was Seattle. Time to prepare, and 2nd time in a row we are a no show on our home field. That's when I knew Daboll had to go.
NO GUTS, NO GLORY.

Draft a QB.
Draft a RT
Draft a DT
Draft a G
Draft a TE
Draft a RB
Sign a G
Sign a Swing T

Jamie, my friend. While your emotions may be right on, we simply cannot keep firing coaches every two years. While most are not thrilled with Dabol this season I have to give him another year, especially if we draft our next QB. But after that it's do or die.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on November 11, 2023, 12:23:22 PMJamie, my friend. While your emotions may be right on, we simply cannot keep firing coaches every two years. While most are not thrilled with Dabol this season I have to give him another year, especially if we draft our next QB. But after that it's do or die.
I see it your way, Lenn. It's far too disruptive and if the GM is solid, they can continue to build the team another year. If however Daboll has a meltdown, and I don't expect that to happen then they would have no choice. Judge needed to go. I'm not so sure about McAdoo. He should have gotten more support.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

The first game because it exposed the inefficacy of the soft camp, not playing players in pre-season, and not settling on an ol so the players could gel together.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TDToomer

Quote from: kartanoman on November 09, 2023, 07:50:10 PMI still remember the handling of Simms' benching in 1991, his injury in 1992, his redemption in 1993 and his shocking release in 1994 in leading up to his jersey retirement halftime. The man is still bitter about it today and every time this subject gets brought up I have to fight back tears in writing this because our tough, valiant knight, unconquerable, determined to be the final man standing in the end. Indeed, he was, as he was given a night to be the martyr, for all he had done for a football organization that was about to go into a downward spiral, for a while, as he was being placed on a pedestal for all to see as the standard of the very definition of what "tough guy" was all about in those days. They might have called time on his career, but they couldn't take away his achievements which he worked so hard and so long for.

Consider this. There was a point in history when Phil Simms was mentioned in the same breath as the great Joe Montana.  For those of you who were too young to be involved in that era, Montana was a god-like entity in this Bill Walsh fabled land called Camelot. But as the Giants eventually overwhelmed the 49ers with their amazing defense, and the offensive line blew the 49ers off the line for Joe Morris and Lee Rouson to run roughshod over them, they then had to contend with this #11 guy who made their all-star secondary spin around 'til they were dizzy in trying to stop the likes of dangerous receivers such as ... Stacy Robinson, Bobby Johnson, Lionel Manuel, Phil McConkey. Oh yes, there IS that one legendary figure, Mark Bavaro, who was Phil's go-to target. But Simms completely out-dueled Montana in 1985 and 1986 over a span of three games where Simms tossed a total of eight (8) TDs to Montana only one (1). Camelot lay in complete ruins after the '86 Divisional Playoff 49-3 thrashing in Giants Stadium. But when it was all said and done in Pasadena, CA, our #11 made history as the very first Super Bowl MVP going to Disneyland / Disneyworld. How sweet it was!

Phil never climbed back to the top of the Everest of the game again, despite his teammates carrying him up there one final time in 1990 after he injured his foot. He missed games in every season following the magical 1986 campaign but still led the Giants to winning football four more times and the playoffs three more times. His renaissance final season of 1993 is remembered for how efficient he played and his leadership nearly was enough to will a vastly inferior Giants team to a divisional championship over the best team in football at the time, the Cowboys. He should have been voted the NFL MVP for all the intangible things he meant to the Giants and to the NFL at a time when New York was hurting football-wise and the final curtain call for he and LT was one of the great stories of 1993.

He will likely stay on the outer fringe of the Hall of Fame. So be it. You can look no further than the Giants' Ring of Honor where you will see his name and his number 11 displayed for all to see from here until the end of time. Within the Giants' Legacy Club, you can see the bust of the "Great Phil Simms," as his old head coach describes him. He belongs to us, the "Old Giants Stadium" faithful who were there when he started his first full game against an undefeated Tampa Bay team, that would eventually make it to the NFC Championship game, and Simms and Billy Taylor beat them (NOTE: ironically, Simms also beat the NFC Champion that year, the LA Rams, in Los Angeles, for the Giants' first win in LA in 20 years at that point). If you watched the Cardinals' game earlier this season, and noticed a bunch of #11 jerseys all in a row, that was myself and my family.

Phil Simms was a quarterback for the people of North Jersey at a time when a tough quarterback was needed. We gave him grief when we thought he wasn't showing that toughness but we sure had his back when he did. He lives in our folklore because of it and that's why, as he said in his 1995 speech, "I will always, remember, the Giant fans."

Peace!

I love everything about this post and it needs to be reposted. Back in 1986 I liked Simms enough to chose Philip as my Confirmation name. It has nothing to do with Saint Philip. All due respect to Eli but Phil is my favorite Giants QB ever. I needed a practice football jersey to wear in 4th grade town football and my dad got me a white #11. I wore it on Halloween with my helmet.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

ralphpal1

If you are going to fire daboll it should of happen the second they accepted the kick in overtime against the Jets
There is no explantion for that
Especially since we have minus 9 yrds for the whole.game

Woody

I was in  North Carolina yesterday watching my Grand daughter play in a softball tournament and did not see the game.
After reading reports and reactions to the game it appears I made a good choice not to pay attention or try to keep up with it.
I have given Daboll the benefit of the doubt to this point.
However after watching post game interviews from him and Barkley this morning on Giants app........yikes there is a major issue going on with the team. And it is not good....Barkley to his credit is a real pro and did not throw anyone under the bus ...however, all the signs are there that this team is a real mess ...
Daboll looked totally defeated in his post game interview.

I know some will say it has been this way for a while and " you just seeing it ?"
Yes I have seen it , but ...for the first time for me .... This was different ....When Shawn O'Hara describes the game in his opening comments...." This was like watching JV vs. varsity football" as they were never in game from the start.
Something has to happen very soon to shake up this team...I mean this week....hire somebody ...the offensive coordinator or somebody. . Or Daboll will have to go as bad as that sounds.
Not him being fired ...but it would be the what ? Fourth  consecutive coach they didn't last three years?
As long as Mr Mara owns team ..nothing will change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk