News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who are you rooting for in tonight's game

Started by MightyGiants, November 09, 2023, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Granted the Bears own both picks

Panthers (1-7)
Bears (2-7)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

In the short term, a Bears win is better. But I think Chicago has more games they'll probably win so a Panthers win might be better.

sooners56

Panthers as Bears likely win a few more games. Panthers might not win another game
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

jgrangers2

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 09, 2023, 02:22:29 PMIn the short term, a Bears win is better. But I think Chicago has more games they'll probably win so a Panthers win might be better.

I expect the Bears to pick up another win or two so rooting for the Panthers tonight

Gmo11

Tough call!  A bears win puts the Giants ahead likely for good in the race for #2 but also kinda eliminates them from contention for #1.  A Panthers win muddies up waters and anything is in play. I could rooting for either side but since I believe Caleb williams is the clear QB1 I would say I'm probably rooting for the Panthers in the hopes the Giants can get in the game for the #1 pick.

MightyGiants

Don't forget, the Commanders own the Bears' second-round pick. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Panthers. They have a shot because Fields is doubtful. That makes both picks with 2 wins and the Bears probably won't want a QB and would trade out for more picks. The Giants have a connection. It might give the Panthers and Young some confidence to squeak out another win or two because it looks like they won't win another game this year. I do think AZ has a tough schedule and their best chance is the next two games. The Giants beat them head to head so I doubt the Giants get the number one pick. Doesn't matter because I don't see the Giants picking Caleb unless Mara gives full autonomy to Schoen.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

spiderblue43

Bears trod their way 16-13. Bryce Young just awful..errant..no feel..hmm. He doesn't like to stand in the pocket and smallish. No clue against zone. :boooo:

uconnjack8

Quote from: spiderblue43 on November 09, 2023, 11:10:44 PMBears trod their way 16-13. Bryce Young just awful..errant..no feel..hmm. He doesn't like to stand in the pocket and smallish. No clue against zone. :boooo:

So the #1 pick from last year's draft, that the Panthers traded away picks to get, was at least matched by a rookie UDFA from a division II school.

Cannot feel good if you are Carolina's decision makers.

DaveBrown74

The Master of the Universe who bought the Panthers assumed that since he was smarter than most in financial markets he'd be smarter than most in football. He's learning the hard way that that's not so obviously the case.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 09, 2023, 03:03:14 PMPanthers. They have a shot because Fields is doubtful. That makes both picks with 2 wins and the Bears probably won't want a QB and would trade out for more picks. The Giants have a connection. It might give the Panthers and Young some confidence to squeak out another win or two because it looks like they won't win another game this year. I do think AZ has a tough schedule and their best chance is the next two games. The Giants beat them head to head so I doubt the Giants get the number one pick. Doesn't matter because I don't see the Giants picking Caleb unless Mara gives full autonomy to Schoen.

Not so sure about that.  Fields hasnt made the kind of progress in year 3 that makes you say he's definitely the guy.  Why not pick a QB at #1 and trade the 2nd pick, or even draft a difference maker at another position?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 10, 2023, 08:42:03 AMNot so sure about that.  Fields hasnt made the kind of progress in year 3 that makes you say he's definitely the guy.  Why not pick a QB at #1 and trade the 2nd pick, or even draft a difference maker at another position?

They have a new GM and they may indeed fall in love with Williams, Maye, or both, and decide to bail on Fields, but I don't know that that's a definite given. Fair point about the lack of upward ascension in year three, but I would put it at like 65/35 right now myself (in favor of them drafting a QB). I don't think it's obvious (and I fully realize you're not saying it is).

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 10, 2023, 08:42:03 AMNot so sure about that.  Fields hasnt made the kind of progress in year 3 that makes you say he's definitely the guy.  Why not pick a QB at #1 and trade the 2nd pick, or even draft a difference maker at another position?
I think it depends on how he finishes the season. If he plays like he did against Washington and Denver, then they may decide to keep him. I agree that this is his pivotal year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

spiderblue43

Ed,

I listen to Bears radio a lot and plenty want Fields gone. It may be a forgone conclusion regardless of how he plays.

He was erratic and regressing before his injury and never demonstrated pocket oresence and consistency.

If the Bears have #1 or 2 pick courtesy of the Panthers; I think they take a qb..move Fields.

Ed Vette

Quote from: spiderblue43 on November 10, 2023, 09:57:25 AMEd,

I listen to Bears radio a lot and plenty want Fields gone. It may be a forgone conclusion regardless of how he plays.

He was erratic and regressing before his injury and never demonstrated pocket oresence and consistency.

If the Bears have #1 or 2 pick courtesy of the Panthers; I think they take a qb..move Fields.
I didn't know he was that unpopular. With two picks it's a plausible theory. Especially when they have an excellent rushing attack.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin