News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Former GIants OT Chad Wheeler was found guilty of domestic violence

Started by MightyGiants, November 10, 2023, 11:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

QuoteWheeler was not drafted out of college due to injuries and off-the-field issues.[5] On April 30, 2017, the New York Giants signed Wheeler as an undrafted free agent. He received a three-year, $1.68 million contract that includes $30,000 guaranteed and a signing bonus of $20,000.[11][12] As one of the top undrafted free agents, Wheeler received multiple offers and opted to sign with New York, who gave him one of the largest contracts among undrafted free agents.[13]

He competed with Adam Bisnowaty and Michael Bowie throughout training camp for the job as the backup offensive tackle.[14] Head coach Ben McAdoo named Wheeler the backup left tackle, behind Ereck Flowers, to begin the regular season.[15]

On October 1, 2017, Wheeler made his regular season debut in the Giants' 23–25 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He earned his first career start against the Kansas City Chiefs in relief of injured Justin Pugh, and backup Bobby Hart.[16]

Wheeler entered the 2018 season as a backup tackle behind left tackle Nate Solder and right tackle Ereck Flowers. In Week 3, Wheeler was named the starting right tackle after struggles from Ereck Flowers, and remained there the rest of the season.[17]

Wheeler was waived/injured by the Giants during final roster cuts on August 31, 2019,[18] and reverted to the team's injured reserve list the next day. He was waived from injured reserve with an injury settlement on September 9.[19]

There were reasons teams didn't draft Wheeler
QuoteOn December 19, 2015, Wheeler was involved in an incident on the USC campus. Los Angeles Police responded to a call at 8:45 AM at an apartment in South Los Angeles near the USC campus. The police arrived and a suspect, who was identified as Wheeler, was confronted by police who were concerned he might grab a weapon and got into an altercation with them that led the police to shoot him with multiple bean bag rounds, a type of non-lethal force.[28] Wheeler was detained by the police but not arrested, and was instead transported to a local hospital to be held under protective custody for a psychiatric evaluation.[29] As a result of the incident, Wheeler missed the Holiday Bowl.[5] Wheeler later apologized for the incident.[30

He later played for the Seahawks until this:

QuoteFormer NFL player Chad Wheeler was found guilty on Thursday for two counts of domestic violence following an incident in 2021 with his then-girlfriend, Alleah Taylor, according to ESPN's Brady Henderson.

The incident took place when Wheeler was playing for the Seahawks, and was waived by the team after it took place. Wheeler hasn't been on an NFL team since.

The charges against him accused him of pinning Taylor down, choking her twice until she lost consciousness, and expressing surprise when she regained consciousness.

Taylor suffered severe injuries, including a fractured humerus and dislocated elbow. A King County jury found Wheeler guilty of first- and second-degree assault/domestic violence, but not guilty of unlawful imprisonment.

Wheeler, who has bipolar disorder, pleaded not guilty, claiming he was experiencing a "manic episode". Taylor expressed uncertainty about the alleged assault being related to Wheeler's mental health, according to the report.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Wheeler

https://brobible.com/culture/article/the-50-best-new-memes-taking-off-around-the-internet-today/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Any man who is violent with a woman for ANY reason is the scum of the earth in my book. And it sounds like this was a particularly egregious example. I regret that this "man" was ever associated with our team for even one minute.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 10, 2023, 12:04:57 PMAny man who is violent with a woman for ANY reason is the scum of the earth in my book. And it sounds like this was a particularly egregious example. I regret that this "man" was ever associated with our team for even one minute.

I'm inclined to disagree in this specific case. If we've learned anything about CTE the last 20 years is that people with it lack impulse control and are prone to violent outbursts. That doesn't excuse Wheeler's actions but if his brain is damaged and that damage affects his behavior it's had to call him the scum of the earth. He's dealing with a mental illness that as football fans were going to have to get accustomed to, because CTE isn't going away.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on November 10, 2023, 12:35:43 PMI'm inclined to disagree in this specific case. If we've learned anything about CTE the last 20 years is that people with it lack impulse control and are prone to violent outbursts. That doesn't excuse Wheeler's actions but if his brain is damaged and that damage affects his behavior it's had to call him the scum of the earth. He's dealing with a mental illness that as football fans were going to have to get accustomed to, because CTE isn't going away.

Firstly, how do we know he has CTE? He may well have it, but this cannot be diagnosed before death.

Secondly, this is not the first time he has gotten in trouble. He had an incident as a 21 year old in 2015 at USC that involved the cops coming and having to physically restrain him. Did he have CTE then too?

I get all your points but I just can't be understanding on any level when it comes to an enormous man brutalizing a woman to the point of putting her in the hospital with extremely severe injuries. He nearly killed her, and he's lucky he didn't. 100% of my sympathy is for her, and only her. I hope he serves several years in prison. I realize that that won't make him a better person, but at least he won't be able to hurt more women during that period, plus he deserves to be punished significantly for this regardless.

Ed Vette

There are definitely mental illness issues going on with him. The last incident happened in 2021 and I don't know why it's necessary to bring this up now. Hopefully, he's gotten help because a man that size can do serious harm to anyone when he goes off.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 10, 2023, 03:35:15 PMFirstly, how do we know he has CTE? He may well have it, but this cannot be diagnosed before death.

Secondly, this is not the first time he has gotten in trouble. He had an incident as a 21 year old in 2015 at USC that involved the cops coming and having to physically restrain him. Did he have CTE then too?

I get all your points but I just can't be understanding on any level when it comes to an enormous man brutalizing a woman to the point of putting her in the hospital with extremely severe injuries. He nearly killed her, and he's lucky he didn't. 100% of my sympathy is for her, and only her. I hope he serves several years in prison. I realize that that won't make him a better person, but at least he won't be able to hurt more women during that period, plus he deserves to be punished significantly for this regardless.

His behavior is a dead giveaway. Sort of like Luke Pettigout who when went from being just another normal guy to a dude who threw his wife out of a moving car. The USC police detaining him for a mental health hold is another sign. I'm not excusing his behavior, far from it, but all the signs are there.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on November 10, 2023, 05:18:29 PMHis behavior is a dead giveaway. Sort of like Luke Pettigout who when went from being just another normal guy to a dude who threw his wife out of a moving car. The USC police detaining him for a mental health hold is another sign. I'm not excusing his behavior, far from it, but all the signs are there.

Fair enough. I get where you're coming from, and I appreciate that CTE (if it's what he has) is largely untreatable. I also fully understand that you're not excusing the behavior.

To Ed's point, this incident occurred years ago, so there is no obvious need to get in the weeds on it in Nov of 2023. I'm glad the victim has received some closure.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 10, 2023, 04:05:00 PMThere are definitely mental illness issues going on with him. The last incident happened in 2021 and I don't know why it's necessary to bring this up now. Hopefully, he's gotten help because a man that size can do serious harm to anyone when he goes off.

He was just convicted
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jaime

I've had experience with this type of individual, as well as bipolar disorder. As mentioned, a man his size can do
alot of damage before being restrained. It's my experience that someone who has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, has an imbalance of neuro-transmitters in their brain. There are numerous meds that can effectively treat that disorder. You can't have it both ways, meaning, you can't claim the disorder was the driving force for your criminal behavior, then be guilty of not taking your prescribed  medication to treat your Bipolar disorder.

The above is based on my life experience. I do not have any formal education regarding these matters.

Dgoodmantrublu

He doesn't need help. His victim needs help. He needs to be locked up for the rest of his life.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 10, 2023, 10:09:09 PMHe doesn't need help. His victim needs help. He needs to be locked up for the rest of his life.

Agreed on the victim. That's not something you just get over in a year or so. She will be plagued with PTSD and other such issues for a long time if not forever. Horrible stuff.

Obviously, since it wasn't a murder, he won't be locked up for the rest of his life. But this is definitely a serious felony assault that should result in a meaningful amount of time in prison. And if he's as unable to control his violent behavior being suggested, the odds of him getting out early for good behavior seem pretty low.