News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Watching A Potential Giants QB In JJ McCarthy

Started by Philosophers, November 10, 2023, 04:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

With the upcoming game against __th ranked Penn State tomorrow as well as #1 ranked OSU in 3 weeks, Giants fans will have two outstanding games to watch JJ McCarthy play.  I would not be surprised if the entire Giants scouting, personnel, coaching and management will be at one of those games.  As a Michigan fan and someone who has watched every game he has played in, I want to offer a few tips for you to pay attention to if you catch either or both games.  Please note that I am not yet 100% sold on JJ as the Giants solution.  There are a lot of things I really like about him but there are things I want to see more of between now and end of season and if they make it into the College Football Playoffs.

Mechanics - JJ has gorgeous mechanics.  He throws it using his large muscles in his legs, butt and hips and gets really nice hip rotation.  He holds it differently than John Elway did, but I see a lot of parallels to his mechanics.  That said, he engages his whole body in throws unlike say Warren Moon who just flicked his wrist and a perfectly thrown spiral with amazing touch left his arm.  Since JJ uses his entire body, I worry about his ability to consistently throw the short ball as well as it needs to be thrown.  In that case, it is a lighter grip and more of a flick than an entire body motion.  I want to see these short throws and the results.

Strength of arm versus getting air under long passes - JJ throws ropes.  Plain and simple.  If there is one criticism I had earlier in his career is that on long passes, he does not get enough air under his passes so his WRs can run under them.  Less touch and more howitzer.  He has gotten better this year but I want to see more of it.

Scrambling to pass versus scrambling to run - here is where JJ has really changed up his game.  He used to scramble to run, but now his head and eyes are always up scanning the field to make throws.  I think this is one of his greatest developments.  He scrambles really well to both his left and right.  One stat to remember is that I think this year, JJ has a completion rate of something 92% when throwing outside the pocket. 

Downfield Mentality - JJ is not a dump it off type of QB like DJ is.  He is looking downfield nearly all the time.  He is a big chunk yardage type of QB.  Against Ohio State last year, he was only 12-24 but he threw for something like 263 yards.  This year he is throwing for over 76% pass completions but he is still doing it with a downfield mindset.

Conclusion - When watching either game, I would look for these traits I mentioned rather than just look for overall stats.  He is still a work in progress.  Remember he is only 20 years old.  He still can return to Michigan for another season and right now he said he is 50-50.  I think he comes out, but who knows?  Also, I would not get too high or too low on him based in either or both games.  Just see if you are seeing these traits. 

spiderblue43

Wow. Great post! I am going to dive deep with JJ this ā“month. Will reference your take.  :ok:

Jclayton92

It will also be nice to see how he reacts to the adversity of not having Harbaugh there. I'll watch the game closely but will be in person at a different game with two other Qbs, Jaxson Dart and Carson Beck.

Dgoodmantrublu

I don't think Beck will enter the draft this season.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on November 10, 2023, 04:34:33 PMWith the upcoming game against __th ranked Penn State tomorrow as well as #1 ranked OSU in 3 weeks, Giants fans will have two outstanding games to watch JJ McCarthy play.  I would not be surprised if the entire Giants scouting, personnel, coaching and management will be at one of those games.  As a Michigan fan and someone who has watched every game he has played in, I want to offer a few tips for you to pay attention to if you catch either or both games.  Please note that I am not yet 100% sold on JJ as the Giants solution.  There are a lot of things I really like about him but there are things I want to see more of between now and end of season and if they make it into the College Football Playoffs.

Mechanics - JJ has gorgeous mechanics.  He throws it using his large muscles in his legs, butt and hips and gets really nice hip rotation.  He holds it differently than John Elway did, but I see a lot of parallels to his mechanics.  That said, he engages his whole body in throws unlike say Warren Moon who just flicked his wrist and a perfectly thrown spiral with amazing touch left his arm.  Since JJ uses his entire body, I worry about his ability to consistently throw the short ball as well as it needs to be thrown.  In that case, it is a lighter grip and more of a flick than an entire body motion.  I want to see these short throws and the results.

Strength of arm versus getting air under long passes - JJ throws ropes.  Plain and simple.  If there is one criticism I had earlier in his career is that on long passes, he does not get enough air under his passes so his WRs can run under them.  Less touch and more howitzer.  He has gotten better this year but I want to see more of it.

Scrambling to pass versus scrambling to run - here is where JJ has really changed up his game.  He used to scramble to run, but now his head and eyes are always up scanning the field to make throws.  I think this is one of his greatest developments.  He scrambles really well to both his left and right.  One stat to remember is that I think this year, JJ has a completion rate of something 92% when throwing outside the pocket. 

Downfield Mentality - JJ is not a dump it off type of QB like DJ is.  He is looking downfield nearly all the time.  He is a big chunk yardage type of QB.  Against Ohio State last year, he was only 12-24 but he threw for something like 263 yards.  This year he is throwing for over 76% pass completions but he is still doing it with a downfield mindset.

Conclusion - When watching either game, I would look for these traits I mentioned rather than just look for overall stats.  He is still a work in progress.  Remember he is only 20 years old.  He still can return to Michigan for another season and right now he said he is 50-50.  I think he comes out, but who knows?  Also, I would not get too high or too low on him based in either or both games.  Just see if you are seeing these traits. 

Phil: It was already a must-see game for me, but nice post and good analysis. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 10, 2023, 09:58:58 PMIt will also be nice to see how he reacts to the adversity of not having Harbaugh there. I'll watch the game closely but will be in person at a different game with two other Qbs, Jaxson Dart and Carson Beck.

From a Michigan perspective I want JH there.  From a Giants perspective, you are right Jess.  That will be a good twist he will have to deal with. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on November 10, 2023, 10:59:30 PMFrom a Michigan perspective I want JH there.  From a Giants perspective, you are right Jess.  That will be a good twist he will have to deal with.
Ole Miss is dealing with their own situation. A soft kid got kicked off the team and recorded kiffin kicking him off the team but it seemed to backfire as most agreed with kiffin. Amazingly it got leaked the week of the biggest game at ole miss since Elis final season, more specifically the Lsu game.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 11, 2023, 12:06:44 AMOle Miss is dealing with their own situation. A soft kid got kicked off the team and recorded kiffin kicking him off the team but it seemed to backfire as most agreed with kiffin. Amazingly it got leaked the week of the biggest game at ole miss since Elis final season, more specifically the Lsu game.

I read about this - it's the 'mental health' break who didn't report or respond to the coaches calls for two weeks, right?

I think the coach could have dealt with it better but also you can't disappear for two weeks.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Philosophers on November 10, 2023, 04:34:33 PMWith the upcoming game against __th ranked Penn State tomorrow as well as #1 ranked OSU in 3 weeks, Giants fans will have two outstanding games to watch JJ McCarthy play.  I would not be surprised if the entire Giants scouting, personnel, coaching and management will be at one of those games.  As a Michigan fan and someone who has watched every game he has played in, I want to offer a few tips for you to pay attention to if you catch either or both games.  Please note that I am not yet 100% sold on JJ as the Giants solution.  There are a lot of things I really like about him but there are things I want to see more of between now and end of season and if they make it into the College Football Playoffs.

i have a feeling about this kid. something about a pro style offense is always a plus. with a head coach thats had lots of nfl experience and success. also- we wouldnt have to potentially mortgage the future to move up to get him. lets see how things shake out in april. but we might be able to trade down, get more capital, and still grab him. i think that would be ideal.

Philosophers

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 11, 2023, 08:48:43 AMi have a feeling about this kid. something about a pro style offense is always a plus. with a head coach thats had lots of nfl experience and success. also- we wouldnt have to potentially mortgage the future to move up to get him. lets see how things shake out in april. but we might be able to trade down, get more capital, and still grab him. i think that would be ideal.

He's been well coached playing in a pro style offense.  He is playing against a very good defense in a very hostile environment.  Sounds like a Giants QB going to Phillie.

Jclayton92

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 11, 2023, 08:25:01 AMI read about this - it's the 'mental health' break who didn't report or respond to the coaches calls for two weeks, right?

I think the coach could have dealt with it better but also you can't disappear for two weeks.
He disappeared for almost a month after getting benched and they kept asking to speak with him and that the head coach wanted to speak with him and he kept ignoring them. He also didn't use any of the mental health resources available to him etc. It was a big show, the audio got leaked the day ole miss counter filed against him. Kiffin saw it wasn't mental health and that the kid was just stirring up trouble which Is why he asks him what world he lived in.

spiderblue43

Philosopher..

I'm glued to this one-both qbs (McCarthy/Allar). If JJ gets in done in a big spot here..kudos. :yes:

Philosophers

Quote from: spiderblue43 on November 11, 2023, 12:05:37 PMPhilosopher..

I'm glued to this one-both qbs (McCarthy/Allar). If JJ gets in done in a big spot here..kudos. :yes:

Allar reminds me of where McCarthy was one year ago at this stage of his football career.  I like him as well.

Think of this game as a Phillie - Giants game.  Hostile environment, playing against a good team.  How well does he manage game and make key plays and throws?

How are the decisions he makes and the reads as well?

sooners56

I'm not impressed with JJ or this Allar QB.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Ed Vette

A key flaw that I see in his game (albeit in limited film) and it's correctable to some extent is that he attempts to set up his mechanics for every pass in the pocket. At the next level, he's going to have to get many passes off in less than two seconds with a quick release with accuracy. He's not going to be able to open his stance for perfect mechanics on every play.

McAdoo was able to help Eli by changing his front foot off the snap and close his stance before release. He was getting killed when the pass rush evolution upped its game and his Oline was downgraded significantly.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin