News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Watching A Potential Giants QB In JJ McCarthy

Started by Philosophers, November 10, 2023, 04:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on November 11, 2023, 03:41:39 PMThat's just it, I don't think he's going in the 1st round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't care if he's available in the 6 th round. I don't want a quarterback with one foot in the grave. The position is far too important to be entrusted to a guy with that injury resume. Thanks but no thanks.

Jclayton92

I don't get it. Look at Mccarthys numbers they are excellent. It isn't his fault that his team beats up on every team and he takes a seat by the 3rd quarter or that they didn't need to pass because their run game was destroying one of the better defenses in the country without their head coach. The kid was 7/8 today, and did everything asked of him in a win against a great school.

Philosophers

Quote from: sooners56 on November 11, 2023, 02:35:25 PMExpecting to see a QB that stands out against a top defense. Game plan/game play  hasnt really let him throw the ball but so far only 60 yards passing. He doesn't look like an NFL QB to me. Hand off after hand off tells me team doesn't think JJ can win throwing the ball. As I wrote he throws a bad pass but gets bailed out by refs.

As I wrote in another post Michigan's OTs are their weak link.  Early on Penn State's edges were successful.  Michigan changed up to power run game and PSU could not stop it.

Philosophers

What I suggested you look for in my original post were traits.

1.  He saw clock was low so he called time outs rather than not be aware and get a penalty.

2.  None of his throws were bad decisions or bad throws.

3.  His scrambling was very good.

4.  He read defenses correctly.

Play calling by coach was way too conservative.  Like I said, should not get too high or low from ine game but just focus on traits.

DaveBrown74

Giants fans looking to get some good data (either positive or negative) on McCarthy didn't get it in this game. In their biggest game of the season he only threw the ball eight times. One might call that fact a negative (we'd be drafting McCarthy, not Harbaugh), but as stated earlier he didn't do anything wrong. With that said in many games Jones didn't do anything "wrong" last year either. They just didn't lean on him that much.

I have watched McCarthy play before on numerous occasions, and while he has looked good he has never really popped off the screen for me. I'd like to see him perform at a high level in one or more of their remaining tough games this season. Ie, OSU and any playoff games.

Dgoodmantrublu

Hard to make any evaluation off of today and that sucks. Because he hasn't played against a single other good opponent all year. I need to see a lot against Ohio State or in the playoff.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 11, 2023, 05:33:21 PMHard to make any evaluation off of today and that sucks. Because he hasn't played against a single other good opponent all year. I need to see a lot against Ohio State or in the playoff.

He played in some big games last year. Was very good in a win in OSU (in fact he was much better than Stroud in that game). He was meh in a home game against PSU (albeit they won). He was good but not elite in a playoff loss to TCU, and the TCU D was bad. I would say mixed overall but his game at OSU was clearly excellent.

spiderblue43

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 11, 2023, 05:33:21 PMHard to make any evaluation off of today and that sucks. Because he hasn't played against a single other good opponent all year. I need to see a lot against Ohio State or in the playoff.

I was disappointed by the lack of passing by Michigan. Not JJ's fault, of course,but I'd like to see him take control against Ohio State.

Dgoodmantrublu

I understand what he did last year. But to take a guy top 5, you need to see if he took a jump. Can't judge that off what he's done this year.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 11, 2023, 06:02:44 PMHe played in some big games last year. Was very good in a win in OSU (in fact he was much better than Stroud in that game). He was meh in a home game against PSU (albeit they won). He was good but not elite in a playoff loss to TCU, and the TCU D was bad. I would say mixed overall but his game at OSU was clearly excellent.

JT39

I don't think McCarthy is too 5 regardless. But he could be someone at the end of round 1 to trade back into if we don't get a guy with our first pick.

Drew Allar on the other hand? Needs to transfer immediately. He's being ruined by Franklin and that offense.

Dgoodmantrublu

I guarantee he's not available at the end of the round. I predict 4 QBs go in the top 10.

Caleb
Maye
McCarthy
Daniels

Nix and Penix may go fairly high as well.

Quote from: JT39 on November 11, 2023, 06:39:38 PMI don't think McCarthy is too 5 regardless. But he could be someone at the end of round 1 to trade back into if we don't get a guy with our first pick.

Drew Allar on the other hand? Needs to transfer immediately. He's being ruined by Franklin and that offense.

Philosophers

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 11, 2023, 06:46:43 PMI guarantee he's not available at the end of the round. I predict 4 QBs go in the top 10.

Caleb
Maye
McCarthy
Daniels

Nix and Penix may go fairly high as well.

I agree.  Traits and decision making are heavily factored in by NFL teams.  Early on, PSU beat Michigan around the edges so Michigan's coaches decided to run the ball and PSU could not stop it.  That's not on JJ, but rather the HC.  Maybe if JJ was on another team, that HC would have chosen to chip the edge rushers and let him sling it around.