News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How long do you give a QB

Started by ralphpal1, November 11, 2023, 07:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 08:17:43 AMVERY timely topic, since that's now the issue with Jones (IMO).

Even if Giants draft a QB & even if it's a high 1st-rounder, that doesn't mean Jones won't start the first game.

If he does and keeps winning, he's not an "old man" by any stretch of the imagination.

Even if it's a high 1st-rounder, the first question will be how long can Jones keep the new guy on the bench.

I'll never forget how long Aaron Rodgers sat waiting for Brett Favre to play himself out of a job. There was even talk of trading Rodgers at one point.

Bob
Bob, do you actually believe Jones has a shot at 2025 with the Giants? I don't. Hey, he's not nearly as bad as he's been this year, but they won't take a chance with all these injuries.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 08:43:34 AMBob, do you actually believe Jones has a shot at 2025 with the Giants? I don't. Hey, he's not nearly as bad as he's been this year, but they won't take a chance with all these injuries.
Ed: Yes, unless they draft a quarterback AND he's taken in the high 1st-round AND doctors okay Jones to play.

So you're asking two questions at once.  First, is he "good enough" to lead a good team?

Second, is his career basically "over" (as happened with the sad case of RB David Wilson) due to injury?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 08:49:33 AMEd: Yes, unless they draft a quarterback AND he's taken in the high 1st-round AND doctors okay Jones to play.

So you're asking two questions at once.  First, is he "good enough" to lead a good team?

Second, is his career basically "over" (as happened with the sad case of RB David Wilson) due to injury?

Bob
He's not good enough to be the Franchise QB but his career isn't over yet. It's just over as a NYG past 2024. Imo
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 08:54:22 AMHe's not good enough to be the Franchise QB but his career isn't over yet. It's just over as a NYG past 2024. Imo
Ed: I will reluctantly agree with that view (if warranted) but only after the off-season and next draft.

Right now Schoen/Daboll POSSIBLY can't lose anything more (in terms of credibility) than they've already lost.

For one thing the medical could change REQUIRING them to take a high first-round QB. For another, even if that doesn't happen they still could justify taking (for example) a Harrison, Jr., or even a player on defense with the high 1st-rounder (or trade down). Too many possibilities, even if I were to agree with you 100 percent as of today.

Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 12, 2023, 09:02:13 AMEd: I will reluctantly agree with that view (if warranted) but only after the off-season and next draft.

Right now Schoen/Daboll POSSIBLY can't lose anything more (in terms of credibility) than they've already lost.

For one thing the medical could change REQUIRING them to take a high first-round QB. For another, even if that doesn't happen they still could justify taking (for example) a Harrison, Jr., or even a player on defense with the high 1st-rounder (or trade down). Too many possibilities, even if I were to agree with you 100 percent as of today.

Bob
Bob, you do realize you're deeply in the minority here, right? He's got as much a chance of being the Giants QB in 2025 as Marianne Williamson has in the Oval Office.

Of course, they could renegotiate his contract. But that's a long shot.

If they don't draft a QB in the first round, it's because Tommy Boy looks to be the next Tom Brady. ;)
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 09:12:19 AMBob, you do realize you're deeply in the minority here, right? He's got as much a chance of being the Giants QB in 2025 as Marianne Williamson has in the Oval Office.

Of course, they could renegotiate his contract. But that's a long shot.

If they don't draft a QB in the first round, it's because Tommy Boy looks to be the next Tom Brady. ;)

Ed: I try to always look at the "bright side" here because I only perceive two other people on here whom I can think of (off hand) who consistently try to do the same.

That doesn't stop me from making a rare "rant" post as my irritation with team ownership/management has continued to fester over the past 50 or 60 years.

The tag line at the end of this & every post I make here will not change until it becomes absolutely necessary.

Bob

Dgoodmantrublu

So I was thinking about year 4 when things went sour.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 12, 2023, 05:15:33 AMActually, it was year two that the wheels came off for him and for the Browns. He had some success as a rookie and challenged Barkley for OROR. Year two he and the team completely flopped. Year three both he and the team were materially improved. Year three was actually the best year of his career. He has been largely bad since, with the exception of having some intermittent success this year.

EDjohnst1981

60 odd games will be fair. It's what Jones got.

Also, it's the time period when anyone who wasn't all in on Jones, and saw him for what he was, wasn't labelled a 'hater' on this board.