News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NYG's blocking is so bad they get their own category

Started by MightyGiants, November 22, 2023, 10:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

It's a little higher than I expected them to be.  #:-S  /sarcasm/
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Sem

The Giants may not have great talent along the line, (excluding Thomas of course), but no O-Line should be this bad if they have competent coaching.

BluesCruz

I think they are definitely getting better.  The addition of Justin Pugh has made a difference.  The new Center is coming up to speed.  Thomas is back
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 22, 2023, 12:11:49 PMI think they are definitely getting better.  The addition of Justin Pugh has made a difference.  The new Center is coming up to speed.  Thomas is back

A recent 9 sack assault begs to differ with you.

kartanoman

When you've reached rock bottom, logic dictates there's no place else to go but up, right?

We will see how Schoen and Daboll objectively analyze and evaluate these metrics in the off-season. If next season comes around, and there is no noticeable improvement, you may draw your own conclusion as to what the outcome should be.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

I think it starts with a new OL coach.

Second, I think the Giants have to figure out if their offensive philosophy is hurting their OL performance.  Are they running conflicting schemes or too complicated something which is causing problems.

Third, are they doing enough to create an integrated unit?  Unit outings, dinners, competitions?

Fourth, eval of the talent.

Fifth, better units are built with 4th-6th rounders than our 1st-2nd rounders.  Why is that?  Eval of talent?  Maybe the bad OL coach is giving bad advice to the scouts on draft prospects.

Seems all five need to be addressed.

madbadger

I don't understand how Johnson is still employed by the Giants. No returning lineman is better today than they were at the end of last year.

Dgoodmantrublu

6 of those sacks were the fault of the QB. 1 was on Barkley. Only 2 were on the OL. Not all sacks are OL sacks.

Quote from: Philosophers on November 22, 2023, 12:19:36 PMA recent 9 sack assault begs to differ with you.

brownelvis54

32nd in the run
32nd in the pass

At least we are consistent.
The KING is in the building

uconnjack8

If I were Barkley I would be thinking about trying to sign with one of the teams to the right.   

Dgoodmantrublu

9 different OL combos in 11 games. AT missed the vast majority of the games. JMS missed a bunch of games. It is not really that shocking they've struggled so much.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Philosophers on November 22, 2023, 12:19:36 PMA recent 9 sack assault begs to differ with you.

Then again they blocked very well for the run in the 2nd half and Tommy had many many clean pockets all day

a lot of the sacks were immaterial and Tommy held the bqll intentionally to see if someone popped open.  He seems to prefer trying to escape rather than toss the ball away

all in all our offense has begun to look respectable even gone from a weakness to a strength.

The future looks good right now for Tommy and the O

Devito has a touch that I havent seen in a giants QB since Tarkenton.
He is very cool under pressure.  His passes are very accurate and paced well

He leads receivers whereas Jones often throws behind the receiver or the receiver must break stride to get the throw

He seems to believe if he cannot see a defined opening to a receiver, the ball stays in his hands.  When he sees a defender closing in, he steps up not back or sideways   both of which invite fumbles from hand swipes

Anyway Devito and the rejuvinated D have made Giants games watchable again
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Gmo11

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 23, 2023, 08:25:57 AMThen again they blocked very well for the run in the 2nd half and Tommy had many many clean pockets all day

a lot of the sacks were immaterial and Tommy held the bqll intentionally to see if someone popped open.  He seems to prefer trying to escape rather than toss the ball away

all in all our offense has begun to look respectable even gone from a weakness to a strength.

The future looks good right now for Tommy and the O

Devito has a touch that I havent seen in a giants QB since Tarkenton.
He is very cool under pressure.  His passes are very accurate and paced well

He leads receivers whereas Jones often throws behind the receiver or the receiver must break stride to get the throw

He seems to believe if he cannot see a defined opening to a receiver, the ball stays in his hands.  When he sees a defender closing in, he steps up not back or sideways   both of which invite fumbles from hand swipes

Anyway Devito and the rejuvinated D have made Giants games watchable again

Are you related to Devito?