News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wow..What cry babies

Started by Alamo, March 08, 2023, 03:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloryDays

Quote from: Rambo89 on March 08, 2023, 08:16:12 PMYou like others believe that QBs are interchangeable and make a good case for that.

No, I just think Jones is much better than you and many others think he is. I have been saying it for a while, certainly before 2022. How he showed this past year with a little improvement in his line, proves that may be me and many others know a little bit. Him getting the contract puts a seal of approval on this fact, that he is good, but needs better supporting cast.

Rambo89

Quote from: GloryDays on March 08, 2023, 08:24:26 PMNo, I just think Jones is much better than you and others think he is. I have been saying it for a while, certainly before 2022. How he showed this past year with a little improvement in his line, proves that may be me and many others know a little bit. Him getting the contract puts a seal of approval on this fact, that he is good, but needs better supporting cast.

Now that he is getting paid big money more needs to be expected of him.  Do you agree?  Or do you think that just replicating his 2022 is good enough?
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Rambo89 on March 08, 2023, 08:26:47 PMNow that he is getting paid big money more needs to be expected of him.  Do you agree?  Or do you think that just replicating his 2022 is good enough?

I guess it means everything to you, but not to me. The cost of keeping a workable QB is the cost of doing business in the NFL. Jones has worked his ass off while constant changing of head coaches, offensive coordinators, and a GM. He had to learn 4 systems in 3 years and he had no one who could catch a ball consistently. Before the big bucks - he worked his ass off and did exactly what the coaches asked him to do. After the big bucks, he will work his ass off and do exactly what the coaches ask him to do. Getting paid doesn't suddenly turn someone into superman, and only a fool would think that. It didn't make Golladay turn into a superstar (or for that matter, even a workable WR). It didn't turn Nate Solder into a pro bowl OT. It won't turn Dexter or AT into anything other than Dexter and AT. They'll get paid big bucks soon. Are they supposed to suddenly be much better because of it? Salary has never been the fuel of stardom

It boggles my mind that so many people are hung up on money as if they had to pay it out of their own pocket. I shake my head in awe as I read these posts where people are so opinionated and wriled up about how much money a player should make. It's such a waste of time

My father used to have a gun shop. People would come in wanting to sell their guns because they needed money at the time. My father would make an offer, and they'd reply, "do you have any idea how much this gun is worth"? And my Dad would casually say, "it's worth whatever someone is willing to give you for it". That's how it goes for everything in real life. How much something or someone is worth, is whatever someone is willing to pay you for it and not a penny more. The Blue Book might tell you your car is worth 20k, but if no one is willing to give you more than 15k, then it's worth 15k - case closed. It never makes something or someone worth more or less than whatever someone is willing to pay

The Giants think they got a good deal and were willing to pay the cost, and DJ thinks he got a good deal. So why is he suddenly supposed to be the second coming of Mahommes? If all it took to make a player great is to increase his salary, why haven't we done that earlier  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Rambo89

Lol Lawrence and Thomas are elite players at their positions.  They should be paid big money.  You won't hear excuses about their supporting cast.

But it's clear by your response that Jones needs to do nothing to justify his contract.  No matter what happens it was a great move for you even if he is a middle of the road QB and the Giants max out at 9-10 wins.  Because you like the kid and nothing else matters

GloryDays

Quote from: Rambo89 on March 08, 2023, 08:26:47 PMNow that he is getting paid big money more needs to be expected of him.  Do you agree?  Or do you think that just replicating his 2022 is good enough?
I generally expect more from the Giants Rambo... I think as fans we all do; however, I see it much differently than you do. When you say " now that he is getting big money, he needs to play better " it implies that Jones, or any young player's performance is commensurate with his pay! As if the player only plays to that level. " I am getting only $2 million a year, then I give you $2 million's worth" !! you see how ridiculous that sounds? What you and others who say that he needs to perform in line with his pay, are really saying  is that " now that Schoen and Daball decided to pay him at a franchise QB level, they better be right about choosing him.
I really think that with the O line and WR deficiencies, Jones actually did an admirable job. I see it so clearly that, as those two areas improve, Jones production WILL improve. I have no doubt about that; because of how he has performed with what he had.

Fletch

Yea that's because they pretty much got it right.

I never really watch Daniel Jones and the gmen and think "wow look at d jones "! Just like I never watched him and thought " now there goes a number six pick". He never makes any special plays. If his line blocks and his receivers get open he can throw short  passes like in min. Vikings . If they don't  he does nothing special. Really the only play all season that have me hope for the future was the Davis Webb / goladay play. Instead of doing more of that — they pretty much gave up on the idea of jones throwing back shoulder  when he got picked off week 1

Mara like fans here just like the kid. They'll make endless excuses for him. Meanwhile the giants look to be going the way of the Knicks for me . Once upon a time I used to stay home on sat. Nites to watch a Knicks bulls playoff game but now, you could not pay me watch an NBA game.

Between the flag football rules and now the Giants latest debacle  I think I e just about had it. You really think the giants are going to beat the KC chiefs with that QB and a new wide receiver ?

Rambo89

Quote from: GloryDays on March 08, 2023, 11:30:27 PMI generally expect more from the Giants Rambo... I think as fans we all do; however, I see it much differently than you do. When you say " now that he is getting big money, he needs to play better " it implies that Jones, or any young player's performance is commensurate with his pay! As if the player only plays to that level. " I am getting only $2 million a year, then I give you $2 million's worth" !! you see how ridiculous that sounds? What you and others who say that he needs to perform in line with his pay, are really saying  is that " now that Schoen and Daball decided to pay him at a franchise QB level, they better be right about choosing him.
I really think that with the O line and WR deficiencies, Jones actually did an admirable job. I see it so clearly that, as those two areas improve, Jones production WILL improve. I have no doubt about that; because of how he has performed with what he had.

Here's the thing in the NFL with the salary cap when you get paid big money you are taking up a bigger chunk of the cap meaning less money for the rest of the roster.  Now that Jones has a bigger chunk of the cap they need more out of him.  The excuses need to end.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 08, 2023, 04:44:13 PMYou're attempting to create your own narrative to justify your predictions over the last two-years.  You have a small problem though; the portion in bold completely defies reality; in point of fact, the Giants structured the contract to give them the ability to replace DJ in just 2-years; in fact, they paid more upfront to avoid any long-term commitment.  You don't do that if you're 100% sure you have your guy.  In reality, this isn't a big contract; David Carr is getting paid $18M more in actual dollars, and has an extra year of actual commitment.  The structure of the deal tells us EVERYTHING we need to know about how the Giants feel about DJ; there is no long term commitment; moreover, this isn't a top 10 QB deal. In short, the exact opposite of your narrative. 

I think it absolutely fair to be skeptical of DJs abilities; after all, the structure of the contract indicates the Giants have the same trepidations. 

Matt,

No matter how you try to manipulate the numbers, it's absolutely clear that the Giants view Jones as their franchise QB and their QB moving forward.  Also your claims about Carr are simply not accurate

From Over the Cap

Daniel Jones signed a 4 year contract with the New York Giants worth a base value of $160.0 million with $82 million guaranteed at signing and total guarantee of $105 million.

Derek Carr signed a four year, $150 million contract with the Saints on March 6, 2023. $100 million of the contract is guaranteed, with $60 million fully guaranteed at signing.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

Quote from: kingm56 on March 08, 2023, 06:19:37 PMAgain, you're trying to define your own reality; the Giants can move on in just 2 years with 'only' $82M paid.  If they move on, none of DJ's incentives will come to fruition. BTW, performance-based incentives are not tools used when teams 'believe in a kid.' In effect, this is a two year deal; so, stop pushing the narrative the Giants 'believe in this kid', when they have clear trepidations.  In fact, their concerns are so significant, they paid extra upfront to reduce their long-term commitment, which is completely antithetical to your narrative.
Agreed, and I like the deal for both sides.  It is a 2 year deal with two 1-year team options. If after 3 years, he is living up to the deal, contract will be re-done.  The salary for year 4 will be converted to a signing bonus as part of an extension.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 08, 2023, 07:51:13 PMWhat's pathetic is calling people names who don't share your opinion. Regardless of 'Danny's stats', he's infinitely more qualified to offer an opinion on the subject than you. Lately, experts and pundits validly seems purely based on their ability to validate opinions.  Nobody is picking on DJ, they're doing their jobs.

Dan is pretty qualified to give opinions on quarterbacks, but the reality is Dan is no more qualified than anyone on this board when it comes to giving opinions about a contract.  Dan is a former QB, not a former GM, scout, front office guy, or even coach.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: coggs on March 09, 2023, 08:18:32 AMAgreed, and I like the deal for both sides.  It is a 2 year deal with two 1-year team options. If after 3 years, he is living up to the deal, contract will be re-done.  The salary for year 4 will be converted to a signing bonus as part of an extension.

I think it's more correct to characterize Jones' deal as a three-year deal with an escape possible after two.  If you study the contract it's pretty clear it's intended to last 3 years.  In year four the team is likely to extend Jones with another contract or release him.  There is an escape route after two years, but that is a less than ideal option for the team to exercise.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Alamo

Quote from: kingm56 on March 08, 2023, 07:51:13 PMWhat's pathetic is calling people names who don't share your opinion. Regardless of 'Danny's stats', he's infinitely more qualified to offer an opinion on the subject than you. Lately, experts and pundits validly seems purely based on their ability to validate opinions. 
Nobody is picking on DJ, they're doing their jobs.
He more then anyone else,being a former QB in the NFL,knows even a great QB needs guys who can catch,and block..If he was a good QB when he played,he didn't have good WR's and a good Oline,because his stats do not reflect that he did..It was either that,or he wasn't vg..For a guy who has been in Jones's position,he should understand what is going on..OR,he is one jealous sob..

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 09, 2023, 08:10:01 AMMatt,

No matter how you try to manipulate the numbers, it's absolutely clear that the Giants view Jones as their franchise QB and their QB moving forward.  Also your claims about Carr are simply not accurate

From Over the Cap

Daniel Jones signed a 4 year contract with the New York Giants worth a base value of $160.0 million with $82 million guaranteed at signing and total guarantee of $105 million.

Derek Carr signed a four year, $150 million contract with the Saints on March 6, 2023. $100 million of the contract is guaranteed, with $60 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Rich,

I'm not manipulating anything. You can't get around reality either; in effect, this is a 2 year/$82M deal, with an option for a 3rd/$112M. No way DJ will see the 4th year; same for Carr, he's won't see any of his 4th year monies either.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 09, 2023, 09:30:21 AMRich,

I'm not manipulating anything. You can't get around reality either; in effect, this is a 2 year/$82M deal, with an option for a 3rd/$112M. No way DJ will see the 4th year; same for Carr, he's won't see any of his 4th year monies either.

Matt,

How to you explain former Packers VP Andrew Brandt saying the Jones contract is bigger and over the cap saying that Jones' contract is bigger?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 09, 2023, 09:32:14 AMMatt,

How to you explain former Packers VP Andrew Brandt saying the Jones contract is bigger and over the cap saying that Jones' contract is bigger?

Rich,

How you explain Andrew Brandt saying in reality it's an $82M deal?  That was literally in the tweet you posted.  DJ will never see the full $160M, and you know it.