News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants # of draft picks as of right now

Started by Alamo, March 10, 2023, 08:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alamo

The Giants have 11 2023 draft picks.Please correct me now..We have one 6th rd,and three 7th rounders.I would trade these 4 picks for two 5th rounders if I was a GM.
Being it is so hard to find starting quality players down the draft.In 2024,I would go for more picks,to load up on good backups,to cover for my 1st two years of getting as many starting quality players as possible. I think in 2024,we will have a team that could win the big trophy we all want,after 3 DRAFTS !!

True Blue

Quote from: Alamo on March 10, 2023, 08:40:38 AMThe Giants have 11 2023 draft picks.Please correct me now..We have one 6th rd,and three 7th rounders.I would trade these 4 picks for two 5th rounders if I was a GM.
Being it is so hard to find starting quality players down the draft.In 2024,I would go for more picks,to load up on good backups,to cover for my 1st two years of getting as many starting quality players as possible. I think in 2024,we will have a team that could win the big trophy we all want,after 3 DRAFTS !!

It's nice in theory, but in terms of pick value, I could be mistaken but I do not think the 6 and 7s would be enough to snag two fifths, with late rounds being such a gamble, I'd rather get a few more bites of the apple. But if they like a player enough I'm ok with trading up or down.

Jclayton92

Teams always need special team players and depth pieces which is were all those late round picks come in at.

Painter

These are the picks currently available to the Giants now including the 2 Comp. picks:

Rd 1, No. 25
Rd 2, No. 57
Rd 3, No. 89
Rd 3, No. 100* (from KC)
Rd 4, No. 128
Rd 5, No. 162
Rd 5, No. 172*
Rd 6, Pick 209 (from CHI)
Rd 7, No. 242
Rd 7, No. 245 (from BAL)
Rd 7, No. 254*

* compensatory picks

God only knows the extent to which our Jr.GMs will propose to wheel and deal, mix and match and swap up and down those current bites of the apple before and during April 28-30.

Cheers!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Painter on March 10, 2023, 10:05:10 AMThese are the picks currently available to the Giants now including the 2 Comp. picks:

Rd 1, No. 25
Rd 2, No. 57
Rd 3, No. 89
Rd 3, No. 100* (from KC)
Rd 4, No. 128
Rd 5, No. 162
Rd 5, No. 172*
Rd 7, No. 242
Rd 7, No. 245 (from BAL)
Rd 7, No. 254*

* compensatory picks

God only knows the extent to which our Jr.GMs will propose to wheel and deal, mix and match and swap up and down those current bites of the apple before and during April 28-30.

Cheers!

I think each of our picks from 5th round on will be one number less (overall draft number, not round) because yesterday the Texans were fined as well as have to forfeit their 5th round pick for violating rules concerning Deshaun Watson. Since they are at the top of the draft order for each round, all those picks following that pick moves up one spot. Probably won't make a big difference or (knowing this amounts to anything other than a hill of beans), but just for reference, the list being posted is off a bit.

Ex: NY Giants 5th Rd (162) should be 5th Rd (161).

I suspect some savvy sleuths on the internet will fix the numbers at some point.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on March 10, 2023, 10:05:10 AMThese are the picks currently available to the Giants now including the 2 Comp. picks:

Rd 1, No. 25
Rd 2, No. 57
Rd 3, No. 89
Rd 3, No. 100* (from KC)
Rd 4, No. 128
Rd 5, No. 162
Rd 5, No. 172*
Rd 7, No. 242
Rd 7, No. 245 (from BAL)
Rd 7, No. 254*

* compensatory picks

Cheers!

We saw in last year's draft a willingness by Joe Schoen to trade down (as he did in round two).  I wonder if this year we will see a willingness to trade up.   Unlike Gettlemen, who seemed adverse to trading down and was eager to trade up, I think Joe Schoen has the mental flexibility to willingly and easily move up or down to achieve his goals.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 10, 2023, 10:18:42 AMWe saw in last year's draft a willingness by Joe Schoen to trade down (as he did in round two).  I wonder if this year we will see a willingness to trade up.  Unlike Gettlemen, who seemed adverse to trading down and was eager to trade up, I think Joe Schoen has the mental flexibility to willingly and easily move up or down to achieve his goals.

I suspect that Schoen is fixed on some targets that are high on his draft board. I also suspect that he is on top of other teams' wish list that puts a certain target in jeopardy. I can see him trading up to snag that targeted player. If his high target players are already gone, I can see him trading down and accumulating picks. It will be an interesting draft. Really happy we have competence in the war room

Alamo

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 10, 2023, 10:18:42 AMWe saw in last year's draft a willingness by Joe Schoen to trade down (as he did in round two).  I wonder if this year we will see a willingness to trade up.   Unlike Gettlemen, who seemed adverse to trading down and was eager to trade up, I think Joe Schoen has the mental flexibility to willingly and easily move up or down to achieve his goals.

Love to see him move up in the 1st round and get one of the top 2 WRs. Need a big fast receiver who can stretch the field.That would help WanDale and the other small guys to get loose underneat for short passes that they could turn into 25/30 yard gains..We need that bad.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Alamo on March 10, 2023, 11:20:26 AMLove to see him move up in the 1st round and get one of the top 2 WRs. Need a big fast receiver who can stretch the field.That would help WanDale and the other small guys to get loose underneat for short passes that they could turn into 25/30 yard gains..We need that bad.

Lucky for us to be in the WR market because this draft (I believe anyway) is going to go on two runs (QBs and ERs) right out of the gate. There could also be a run on CBs. So that sets up pretty good sitting at no. 25. There will (should) be a really good WR available to us (knock on wood  :knockONwood: ), if that's the direction Schoen wants to go. One or more of Quentin Johnston, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Jordan Addison, Jalin Hyatt, and Zay Flowers will be available to us. Boards are changing all the time. Johnson was clear cut leader among mocks, but Flowers has taken over as the top WR on a lot of boards and I even see Johnson as a 2nd round pick  :-??

Keep in mind (and I'm preaching to myself here), mock drafts are close to meaningless. They give us a general idea of what teams might be looking at, but in the end, don't mean squat. Jeremiah (who knows more than the average fan...I think  :-?? ) has Addison as the first WR off the board and in the top 10 overall. He has Johnson as the 4th ranked WR...so who the hell knows. I don't think Schoen has to trade up to get a no.1 WR. In fact, he could trade down to an early 2nd rd pick (and other assets) if most of the top WRs are still on the board when it's his turn and another team is deperate for the last ranked ER or CB or QB or some specific player they believe will be gone

Philosophers

Unlike last year, the Giants are now a better team so we need more starters to get better.  For that I value rounds 1-5.  We have plenty of ST type players.

If we slide back in round 1 a bit and pick up any more picks in rounds 2-5, I'd be thrilled especially if it gets us some of my favorite players later.

Painter

Quote from: Alamo on March 10, 2023, 11:20:26 AMLove to see him move up in the 1st round and get one of the top 2 WRs. Need a big fast receiver who can stretch the field.That would help WanDale and the other small guys to get loose underneat for short passes that they could turn into 25/30 yard gains..We need that bad.

Obviously, we don't know what value the FO and staff may attach to one or more of the 5 most frequently mentioned 1st Round potential WRs. And while Mock Drafts are little more than the product of Wild Ass Guessing, it seems a bit odd that from a total of 100+, there is not one WR who has achieved anything remotely like a consensus of even 20% of them.

Personally, I don't think it likely that the Giants would invest very much to move up even for Quentin Johnston who best meets your desired size/speed measurables and an X- and WR1.
Who after that would regard as a worthy target?

Cheers!

GloryDays

I personally believe in the more picks theory, specially when it comes to the late rounds.. the difference in quality of prospects who slide to the 5th and those picked 60-70 spots later is not that much, so the more picks, the more chances you have to hit on a good player.

nb587

Surprised that CB is not identified as a critical need.  If you don't have really good WRs, you won't score alot but you could still win.  If you dont have really good CBs, tougher to win.  CB us a critical need here.