News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Here’s why Daniel Jones is better than Jets’ Aaron Rodgers

Started by MightyGiants, May 30, 2023, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I confess I thought the article was going to be clickbait (even though it came from NJ.com).   After reading it, I am hard-pressed to disagree with the case Giants beat writer Bob Brookover laid out.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2023/05/giants-have-the-big-apples-best-qb-heres-why-daniel-jones-is-better-than-aaron-rodgers.html
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Rich - I think the biggest mistake in the article is that it fails to mention a big difference between DJ and Rodgers.  DJ works his a$$ off and is loved by his teammates both for his work ethic as well as just being a great guy.  Nobody ever says that Aaron Rodgers.  They say he is aloof, first to criticize other players, etc.  I remember a backup to Rodgers years ago saying how he and Rodgers used to go out to socialize and Rodgers did all this really weird behavior and always had to dictate what they did going out.  Rodgers does not have a relationship with his family anymore.  He is just a weird, creepy guy now.  That is not leadership.

Rodgers had the worst year in 2022 since his early days.  It's not fair to compare his one worst year with DJ.  That's a silly thing the writer did.  With potentially better everything around him and his ability, Rodgers can potentially post top QB type numbers in the NFL, something DJ is much less likely to do.

I like guys who you want to follow, who are leaders because of their actions, not just their words.  I'll follow DJ, but I would not for a second, call him the better QB in NY.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on May 30, 2023, 12:59:41 PMRich - I think the biggest mistake in the article is that it fails to mention a big difference between DJ and Rodgers.  DJ works his a$$ off and is loved by his teammates both for his work ethic as well as just being a great guy.  Nobody ever says that Aaron Rodgers.  They say he is aloof, first to criticize other players, etc.  I remember a backup to Rodgers years ago saying how he and Rodgers used to go out to socialize and Rodgers did all this really weird behavior and always had to dictate what they did going out.  Rodgers does not have a relationship with his family anymore.  He is just a weird, creepy guy now.  That is not leadership.

Rodgers had the worst year in 2022 since his early days.  It's not fair to compare his one worst year with DJ.  That's a silly thing the writer did.  With potentially better everything around him and his ability, Rodgers can potentially post top QB type numbers in the NFL, something DJ is much less likely to do.

I like guys who you want to follow, who are leaders because of their actions, not just their words.  I'll follow DJ, but I would not for a second, call him the better QB in NY.

I think you make some great points, Joe.  I will say, that to Rodger's credit, he seems to be on his very best behavior since coming to the Jets.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 30, 2023, 01:03:01 PMI think you make some great points, Joe.  I will say, that to Rodger's credit, he seems to be on his very best behavior since coming to the Jets.

Rich - I am not sure Rodgers ever got over the drafting of Jordan Love and his relationship with the team changed ever since.  Think he was immature in the way he handled it.  Every team has to plan for the next positional change.  That said, I think he sees the Jets as a new lease on life.  I also think he is really excited about playing in a much bigger market in NYC.  Let's see what happens.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

One issue I have with this article is this sentence, in the final paragraph:

"There's no denying, however, that Jones was the better quarterback a season ago."

Whichever side you come out on on the above question about how was better in 2022, to say there is "no denying" that Jones was better in 2022 is just silly and very clearly proves bias in my opinion. Rodgers had the higher PFF grade, the higher DYAR, and a heck of a lot more passing yards and TDs. Their passer ratings were similar (slight edge to Jones). Jones was obviously dramatically better on the ground.

One may think Jones was better than Rodgers last year and may well be right, but to say that that is not even a discussion is rather absurd in my view. If it's truly undeniable, then we might as well completely throw PFF out forever, and Outsiders clearly don't know what they're talking about either.

President Rick

IMO, here's why....Daniel Jones is a New York GIANT.  AR isn't.  Period.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 30, 2023, 03:11:34 PMOne issue I have with this article is this sentence, in the final paragraph:

"There's no denying, however, that Jones was the better quarterback a season ago."

Whichever side you come out on on the above question about how was better in 2022, to say there is "no denying" that Jones was better in 2022 is just silly and very clearly proves bias in my opinion. Rodgers had the higher PFF grade, the higher DYAR, and a heck of a lot more passing yards and TDs. Their passer ratings were similar (slight edge to Jones). Jones was obviously dramatically better on the ground.

One may think Jones was better than Rodgers last year and may well be right, but to say that that is not even a discussion is rather absurd in my view. If it's truly undeniable, then we might as well completely throw PFF out forever, and Outsiders clearly don't know what they're talking about either.

I saw it differently.  Bob had a methodology which he was very open and transparent with.  By his methodology, Jones was the clear-cut winner.  That is what justified his comment.

You may not agree with his methodology or conclusion, but that doesn't really make his comment about not denying Jones is the clear-cut winner as proof of bias.

Nor is this the only breakdown that has Jones on top.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/11pg4b7/aggregate_qb_ranking_using_pff_passer_rating_dvoa/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 30, 2023, 03:43:32 PMI saw it differently.  Bob had a methodology which he was very open and transparent with.  By his methodology, Jones was the clear-cut winner.  That is what justified his comment.

You may not agree with his methodology or conclusion, but that doesn't really make his comment about not denying Jones is the clear-cut winner as proof of bias.

Nor is this the only breakdown that has Jones on top.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/11pg4b7/aggregate_qb_ranking_using_pff_passer_rating_dvoa/

I guess if he wants to say it's undeniable specifically in his eyes only, then that's fine, but to make a general statement that is applicable to everyone, which is how it read to me, seems wildly off base. That would essentially be saying his methodology is the only one, and anyone else's (such as PFF for example) is invalid. If others' methods were not invalid, then the statement that Jones was better than Rodgers in 2022 would not be "undeniable."

katkavage

More dead time silly stuff to stir the impatient masses.

ralphpal1

Let's see what they do this year
I also think Rodgers is going to do amazing on the Jets
I also think D Jones does amazing for the giants

nb587

Quote from: Philosophers on May 30, 2023, 01:30:14 PMRich - I am not sure Rodgers ever got over the drafting of Jordan Love and his relationship with the team changed ever since.  Think he was immature in the way he handled it.  Every team has to plan for the next positional change.  That said, I think he sees the Jets as a new lease on life.  I also think he is really excited about playing in a much bigger market in NYC.  Let's see what happens.
I disagree with immaturity line.  The Packers had specific needs and were in serious contention for a division title and maybe a conference title as well.  I totally get Rodgers thinking that if they look to make his team better, they have a chance to have a great year.  Instead, they draft a guy who will back him up for a few years.  In my opinion, that's not him being immature, I think he's right.  We might see this year if the Packers made the right move. I'm not so sure they did.

I agree with you about Rodgers on the Jets.  I think Rodgers has a lot left in the tank and they could be good.  And, if they had better coaching, they could be serious contenders.  I expect a big year from Rodgers as much as I could care less about them.

Ed Vette

The Bell curve on Rodgers is past it's peak. Jones is on the rise. The peak of each Bell Curve is not equal. Jones had a better 2022 overall. Switch teams on both players last year and Rodgers would have easily been the better QB.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 30, 2023, 07:23:09 PMThe Bell curve on Rodgers is past it's peak. Jones is on the rise. The peak of each Bell Curve is not equal. Jones had a better 2022 overall. Switch teams on both players last year and Rodgers would have easily been the better QB.

Ed,

I am not following.  Per PFF, Rodgers had the 3rd best pass blocking combined with the 23rd receiving group.   Jones had the 24th pass blocking and the 27th receiving group.  Plus, DJ's legs helped save a lot of plays that broke down, that's not something Rodgers seems capable of anymore.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 30, 2023, 07:32:14 PMEd,

I am not following.  Per PFF, Rodgers had the 3rd best pass blocking combined with the 23rd receiving group.   Jones had the 24th pass blocking and the 27th receiving group.  Plus, DJ's legs helped save a lot of plays that broke down, that's not something Rodgers seems capable of anymore.
Yeah, ok. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin