News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Here’s why Daniel Jones is better than Jets’ Aaron Rodgers

Started by MightyGiants, May 30, 2023, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on May 30, 2023, 01:30:14 PMRich - I am not sure Rodgers ever got over the drafting of Jordan Love and his relationship with the team changed ever since.  Think he was immature in the way he handled it.  Every team has to plan for the next positional change.  That said, I think he sees the Jets as a new lease on life.  I also think he is really excited about playing in a much bigger market in NYC.  Let's see what happens.

https://theathletic.com/4564360/2023/05/31/aaron-rodgers-packers-succession-trade/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

Quote from: Philosophers on May 30, 2023, 01:30:14 PMRich - I am not sure Rodgers ever got over the drafting of Jordan Love and his relationship with the team changed ever since.  Think he was immature in the way he handled it.  Every team has to plan for the next positional change.  That said, I think he sees the Jets as a new lease on life.  I also think he is really excited about playing in a much bigger market in NYC.  Let's see what happens.

Ironically, Rodgers hated Farve for treating him exactly the way Rodgers then treated Love.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 31, 2023, 08:23:44 AMAnd I thought Tiki had problems with being arrogant and a diva   :what:   Rodgers makes Tiki look like the consummate team player
Kind of adds to your validation of hate for him. Just wait until he gets a load of NY. As soon as the Honeymoon is over, he's either going to be the best QB in Jets history or the biggest distraction. Another Diva with no filter.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 31, 2023, 08:43:22 AMKind of adds to your validation of hate for him. Just wait until he gets a load of NY. As soon as the Honeymoon is over, he's either going to be the best QB in Jets history or the biggest distraction. Another Diva with no filter.

To clarify, I dislike Rodgers and do not respect him as a man, but I do not hate him.  Hate is such a strong emotion that tends to drain and harm the wielder more than the target.  So I don't hate Rodgers or any football player for that matter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 31, 2023, 08:43:22 AMKind of adds to your validation of hate for him. Just wait until he gets a load of NY. As soon as the Honeymoon is over, he's either going to be the best QB in Jets history or the biggest distraction. Another Diva with no filter.

I can't see him not being an improvement over Wilson under any circumstances, but it definitely seemed like last year was the beginning of the end for him. He's at the age precipice where just about every QB goes into collapse mode. I have no reason to think he'll be any different from the norm.

I guess the question is can he play well enough to get the Jets to the playoffs and possibly even contend, or will he be a total disaster? If he plays about like he did last year I would surmise that the Jets have a good enough roster around him to make the playoffs, but for them to be an actual SB contender he would need to revert to his pre-2022 form. I feel like the odds of that happening are pretty low.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 31, 2023, 09:07:22 AMI can't see him not being an improvement over Wilson under any circumstances, but it definitely seemed like last year was the beginning of the end for him. He's at the age precipice where just about every QB goes into collapse mode. I have no reason to think he'll be any different from the norm.

I guess the question is can he play well enough to get the Jets to the playoffs and possibly even contend, or will he be a total disaster? If he plays about like he did last year I would surmise that the Jets have a good enough roster around him to make the playoffs, but for them to be an actual SB contender he would need to revert to his pre-2022 form. I feel like the odds of that happening are pretty low.

In some ways, this conversation reminds me of the what-if of Tiki returning for the 2007 season with the Giants.  How much will Rodger's arrogance and diva personality offset the improvement he brings to the QB position?

While I am not a huge fan of predicting (despite the many predictions threads I post for content) I would guess that Rodger's talent will get the Jets into the playoffs as a wildcard but I don't the Jets are in the same league as the conference powerhouses like the Chiefs, Bengals, and Bills.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 31, 2023, 09:04:24 AMTo clarify, I dislike Rodgers and do not respect him as a man, but I do not hate him.  Hate is such a strong emotion that tends to drain and harm the wielder more than the target.  So I don't hate Rodgers or any football player for that matter.
So he's just on your list of despicable human beings just like Elon Muck. Gotcha.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 31, 2023, 09:07:22 AMI can't see him not being an improvement over Wilson under any circumstances, but it definitely seemed like last year was the beginning of the end for him. He's at the age precipice where just about every QB goes into collapse mode. I have no reason to think he'll be any different from the norm.

Jeff, did you see a lot of the Packer games last season? Can you justify your labeling him being in collapse mode? Or did he have an off year like 2015 and 2017 where his YPA dropped significantly? From a career average of 7.7 to a Jones comparable 6.8. Like Jones who's gotten a laundry list of excuses, he had one Receiver with over 700 yards. I'm asking because I didn't see many Packer games to say if his career collapsed or not. I know he wasn't happy with what he had to work with last year.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 31, 2023, 09:24:59 AMSo he's just on your list of despicable human beings just like Elon Muck. Gotcha.

Yup, although, in fairness, there are quite I have quite a few people on that list  ;)

A surefire way to get on that list is to harm others or worse misuse the power that you have to harm others.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Wow, this is a funny, rather entertaining thread. I mean that with all the respect and love to each of you. It's kind of cool how we cast the "hero vs. villain" plot to drum up some creative script writing which would make for great entertainment. At the end of the day, especially with quarterbacks, you are talking about field generals who rely on self-confidence to face all kind of adversities on and off the field during their careers.

I completely understand the majority here who laud the stoic "Phil Simms" type which is come in humble, do your very best to help the team, work your tail off, face adversity head on and just deal with it without complaining and celebrate ultimate victory with class. The New York Football Giants have been fortunate to have leaders under center who have possessed these qualities and have been successful (e.g. Simms, Collins, Manning and now Jones).

Aaron Rodgers has had an amazing career with moments in time I can recall which simply leave me shaking my head in disbelief. He is also one of the leagues' most hyped-up quarterbacks since he is one of the faces of the NFL over the last decade and change. If he shows some cockiness, well, all I can say is that he has more than backed it up throughout his career and going to the Jets might be the best thing that ever happened to him since that starving franchise still looks to the flamboyant Broadway Joe as their messiah of quarterbacks. Rodgers can handle that role fairly well, I'd imagine, and may surprise a lot of people by taking the Jets to contention if he's still got game.

Last season's performance in Green Bay was helter-skelter and, despite that, they were in the Wild Card battle until the final week. He's moved on and the Packers are now Love's team, for better or worse, and he gets the reset button pushed in New York. But what that has to do with Danny Dimes is still a head scratcher for me.

Aaron Rodgers and Daniel Jones are different quarterbacks who are at opposite ends of the spectrum of their respective careers where Aaron has won a Super Bowl, has endless NFL honors which make him a first year HoF inductee, and then yo have Daniel Jones who will be playing in the same system for a second season for the very first time in his career. The man is looking for stability in order to accomplish anything at this point. I'm not sure how one is "better" than the other unless you have some specific criteria you are comparing them with.

But, in the end, does it matter? The Giants are happy, the Jets are happy, season 2023 could prove to be an exciting one in the NY Metro area. Wouldn't it be better if NY football is better than the rest of the league because of Jones and Rodgers, instead?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

BluesCruz

Both guys are very good

Neither is like the other, ergo tough to compare

Rodgers is a lot craftier, and certainly a more confident QB.  Jones is a bull, a very determined tough individual

I wish the Jets well unless they face the Giants in the SB.......which when you go through
the Giants off season upgrades is a possibility.  Vegas has the Jets closing in on the big game.  They are loaded and just needed a QB

We will see in the fall who has the momentum.  If we can finally defeat the Boys and Eagles solidly, I will start to get the SB vibes.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

I wonder if the league is kicking themselves for not scheduling that Jets at NYG for week 18+. Regardless, I can smell the Hype now.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

@kartanoman

The one thing that strikes me about Rodgers is despite all his individual accolades; he has only one SB victory and appearance despite starting in the league for 15 seasons.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Speaking of Rodgers, he hurt himself last week warming up (tweaked his calf) and this is where he's at this week

https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1663931763100450818

Rodgers turns 40 on December 2nd.   Just because Brady was able to maintain his body well into his 40s (while playing a young man's game) doesn't mean other QBs will be able to duplicate that impressive feat.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE