News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

You don't often hear a coach have to tell a player this

Started by MightyGiants, May 31, 2023, 10:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

When a QB has hope (in the form of receivers you think will be able to get separation) the QB has more energy.

Also, in a normal year the receivers upon whom a QB be asked to rely are (mostly) known to him.

But this yr there's cause to expect Waller, Campbell and (soon?) Hyatt will play major roles in every game. 

None of them were on the team last year.  Jones has a lot of work to do, and I'm sure he knows it.

To an extent that even includes Robinson.  The fall-back guys of course are Barkley, Bellinger and Slayton.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

BluesCruz

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 31, 2023, 10:43:07 AMWhen a QB has hope (in the form of receivers you think will be able to get separation) you have more energy.

Also, in a normal year the receivers upon whom a QB be asked to rely are (mostly) known to him.

But this yr there's cause to expect Waller, Campbell & (soon?) Hyatt will play major roles in every game. 

None of them were on the team last year.  Jones has a lot of work to do, and I'm sure he knows it.

To an extent that even includes Robinson.  The fall-back guys of course are Barkley, Bellinger and Slayton.

Bob

And lets not forget Hodgins....I'm not sure these new guys are better than him.....he kind of amazed me coming in half way through the season, he was terrific....and a great teammate from what I can determine
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Bob In PA

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 31, 2023, 10:50:02 AMAnd lets not forget Hodgins....I'm not sure these new guys are better than him.....he kind of amazed me coming in half way through the season, he was terrific....and a great teammate from what I can determine
BC: He is still a "mystery" to me.  I didn't know which category to put him in, so I punted. You caught me. LOL

The thing about him is, IMO, opponents showed very little respect (or simply didn't know anything about him) and treated him somewhat as a nonentity (judging by the personnel they deployed to cover him).

This made things "easy" for him because the focus was on the most likely weapons Jones would utilize.

OTOH, there is something about the Jones-to-Hodgins combo that really "clicked" and I can't explain it.

It's possible there's some type of "magic" between them of the type possessed by many now-legendary combos. A lot of touchdowns happened (more than their "fair share" IMO).  Of course, I'm PRAYING for it to be true) but there is not nearly enough evidence to declare it at this time. 

Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 31, 2023, 11:09:40 AMBC: He is still a "mystery" to me.  I didn't know which category to put him in, so I punted. You caught me. LOL

The thing about him is, IMO, opponents showed very little respect (or simply didn't know anything about him) and treated him somewhat as a nonentity (judging by the personnel they deployed to cover him).

This made things "easy" for him because the focus was on the most likely weapons Jones would utilize.

OTOH, there is something about the Jones-to-Hodgins combo that really "clicked" and I can't explain it.

It's possible there's some type of "magic" between them of the type possessed by many now-legendary combos. A lot of touchdowns happened (more than their "fair share" IMO).  Of course, I'm PRAYING for it to be true) but there is not nearly enough evidence to declare it at this time. 

Bob

A WR who runs a 4.61 isn't going to keep DCs and DBs up at night.   Although Hodgins has so many gifts that he can be productive even if he is likely never going to be explosive.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 31, 2023, 11:24:37 AMA WR who runs a 4.61 isn't going to keep DCs and DBs up at night.   Although Hodgins has so many gifts that he can be productive even if he is likely never going to be explosive.
Rich: You don't need speed to score most types of TD's. You need to be tricky and knowledgeable of the game.

It's great to have long bombs and/or short throws that go the distance (both of which every team strives for).

But some guys seem to have a knack for scoring "short" TD's from the green zone. Hodgins could be one. We'll see.

Bob

PS. I'll never forget Buddy Ryan "complaining" Chris Carter "only scores TD's." There's obvious disparagement in that remark (and Ryan sure was a horse's a$$ to imply that Carter never got open unless he was in or near the end zone) but that attitude fails to take into account that most green-zone plays are run differently than "regular" plays, and there's less room for WR's to operate and you near the end-zone, and it takes a special kind of guy to come through when the chips are down.

Philosophers

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 31, 2023, 12:15:32 PMRich: You don't need speed to score most types of TD. You need to be tricky and knowledgeable of the game.

It's great to have long bombs and/or short throws that go the distance (both of which every team strives for).

But some guys seem to have a knack for scoring "short" TD's from the green zone. Hodgins could be one. We'll see.

Bob

PS. I'll never forget Buddy Ryan "complaining" Chris Carter "only scores TD's." There's obvious disparagement in that remark (and Ryan sure was a horse's a$$ to imply that Carter never got open unless he was in or near the end zone) but that attitude fails to take into account that most green-zone plays are run differently than "regular" plays, and there's less room for WR's to operate and you near the end-zone, and it takes a special kind of guy to come through when the chips are down.

Carter was a magician at contorting his body to make every catch.  Never dropped them.

Michael Irvin also was I think a 4.6 speed guy.  He was so damn physical that he just fought off defenders and made catches.

Hodgins has role models to follow but he has to have 100% hands.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on May 31, 2023, 01:03:50 PMCarter was a magician at contorting his body to make every catch.  Never dropped them.

Michael Irvin also was I think a 4.6 speed guy.  He was so damn physical that he just fought off defenders and made catches.

Hodgins has role models to follow but he has to have 100% hands.

Phil: I agree, especially about the hands. I don't think he had a drop last year (but too lazy to check it LOL).

I seldom hate players but I hated Irvin, who constantly got away with what I'd call offensive pass interference.

This was before (and probably WHY) they changed the rule so if you extended your arm, you have committed a foul.

Bob

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 31, 2023, 11:24:37 AMA WR who runs a 4.61 isn't going to keep DCs and DBs up at night.  Although Hodgins has so many gifts that he can be productive even if he is likely never going to be explosive.

I agree Rich, but you don't have to be fast (explosive) to be a good receiver in this league, assuming you are strong in other areas. Conversely we have seen plenty of fast-as-hell receivers who ended up amounting to nothing.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 31, 2023, 11:24:37 AMA WR who runs a 4.61 isn't going to keep DCs and DBs up at night.   Although Hodgins has so many gifts that he can be productive even if he is likely never going to be explosive.
Fast is good. I prefer a quick receiver with great hands and superb route-running ability. Steve Smith comes to mind. Injuries derailed his career as well.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on May 31, 2023, 01:28:39 PMFast is good. I prefer a quick receiver with great hands and superb route-running ability. Steve Smith comes to mind. Injuries derailed his career as well.

I think Steve Smith is a good comparison
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

I realize that it's hard to stay on topic especially when the fruit of DJ's labor seems to face the challenge of Receiver unfamiliarity reducing a presumed benefit from a more talented, hopefully deeper and more productive Receiver corps. But then I was reminded by the impeccables at PFF that the 23rd ranked Giants biggest strength is its Rushing Attack. Barkley led, of course.

Head coach Brian Daboll leaned on the running game in his first year at the helm. The Giants shortened games and made clutch plays when needed. Led by a healthy Saquon Barkley and Daniel Jones' legs, the Giants bullied their way into the playoffs. Their running game could be even better if their other young offensive linemen (Evan Neal and John Michael Schmitz) develop on the same track as stud left tackle Andrew Thomas.

There's an encouraging note in there I guess, but no mention of any difference in terms of the role, emphasis and production of the Passing Attack. But at least it wasn't cited as a weakness.

Rather the Biggest Weakness in 2023 is named to be the Back seven on defense

The Giants have a talented defensive line, but their back seven leaves a lot to be desired. Their linebackers finished as the fourth-lowest-graded group in the NFL, while their safeties were second worst. The cornerbacks were a little better at 22nd, with Adoree' Jackson being a bright spot. New York's end result masked the low-grading profile of this unit, so the team will need to be better on the back end to avoid regression to the mean in close games.

"Regression to the mean", there's a PFF favorite for you.

Oh! And wait I was wrong, there was a Receiver mentioned it was TE Darren Waller

The Giants sent a third-round pick to Las Vegas for Waller. He brings needed athleticism and versatility to their tight end room. Giants tight ends ranked in the bottom 10 in receiving grade, receptions and receiving yards during the 2022 regular season. Waller should be an excellent scheme fit working across the field in Daboll's system. Health is the key for Waller, as he's missed 14 games over the past two years after terrific seasons in 2019 and 2020. A healthy Waller would be huge for an offense searching for big plays through the air.

So they might actually be searching for big plays through the air just not via WR,or are they risking a contradiction?

And while not suggesting another, contra, it does seem the addition of Deonte Banks, not to mention Okereke who they chose not to, might just lessen the Back 7 Weakness?

Banks was the third-ranked cornerback on PFF's big board. He is an athletic freak with the potential to be a CB1 if he's developed properly. Adoree' Jackson was the Giants' only cornerback in 2022 to play 100 snaps and grade out with at least a 70.0 mark. Banks fulfilling that potential soon would make a huge impact on a unit that plays more man coverage than any other team.

But that said, The Giants are due for some regression to the mean. Where did we hear that before? They finished 9-7-1 despite being the fourth-lowest-graded team in the NFL overall. They're heavily reliant on the running game, and their back seven on defense has major question marks. A last-place finish in the NFC East wouldn't be that shocking.

In any case, they suggest that we take the Under on 7.5 Wins. And in case you're still interested here's PFF's current projection of the Giants regressive,  Projected 2023 starting lineup

OFFENSE                                               DEFENSE
QB Daniel Jones (75.8)                DI Dexter Lawrence (91.6)
RB Saquon Barkley (80.3)            DI Leonard Williams (74.2)
RB Matt Breida (69.5)                  Edge Kayvon Thibodeaux (72.5)
WR Darius Slayton (66.0)            Edge Azeez Ojulari (59.6)
WR Isaiah Hodgins (76.1)           Edge Oshane Ximines (56.6)
WR Wan'Dale Robinson (72.0)    LB Bobby Okereke (73.3)
TE Darren Waller (72.4)               LB Jarrad Davis (57.5)
LT Andrew Thomas (90.3)           CB Adoree' Jackson (70.8)
LG Ben Bredeson (57.5)              CB Deonte Banks (72.0*)
C John Michael Schmitz (92.3*)  CB Darnay Holmes (44.3)
RG Mark Glowinski (65.6)             S Xavier McKinney (61.1)
RT Evan Neal (41.8)                      S Jason Pinnock (61.8)

Cheers!

Bob In PA

Nice, Larry.  Thanks for posting all that.  Bob

@Painter

MightyGiants

Darius Slayton made comments along similar lines.  DJ has practices outside the facility since OTA rules limit facility practices.   Slayton half-jokingly said if DJ had his way, he would be throwing from sun up to sun down.  He then laughed and commented that DJ wasn't the one running and catching those throws.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE