News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Player Development Underwhelming

Started by Philosophers, May 13, 2024, 10:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

On the best Giants teams we saw a player development progression where over 2-3 years they went from say marginal backup to a very solid starter or ok starter to impactful starter.  Look at Linval Joseph, Barry Cofield, Kareem McKenzie, David Diehl, Ahmad Bradshaw, etc., etc.

Over the past 10 years, that has really fallen off

How many players on the Giants current roster can you point to and really applaud their development?

MightyGiants

I think the Giants have two outstanding position coaches who have done a solid job developing talent

D-line coach- Andre Patterson
DB coach/passing game coordinator- Jerome Henderson

Both of these coaches have done a great job getting the most out of questionable talent

Then there is the imported O-line coach, Carmen Bricillo, who has never coached an O-line that was top 10 according to PFF

I think ILB coach, John Egorugwu, has done a pretty good job in the past 2-years coaching up the ILBs

Beyond that, I think the other position coaches have been average at best.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I agree that the team has not done a good job of getting the most out of their players, but I would disagree with some of those names in terms of being considered "marginal backups" at any point in time. 

Linval Joseph played his best ball after he left the Giants. 
Kareem McKenzie was a starter for the Giants day 1 and a good one.
Bradshaw didn't get many opportunities early.  Never saw him as marginal, but he did develop into a bigger role

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 13, 2024, 01:33:50 PMI agree that the team has not done a good job of getting the most out of their players, but I would disagree with some of those names in terms of being considered "marginal backups" at any point in time. 

Linval Joseph played his best ball after he left the Giants. 
Kareem McKenzie was a starter for the Giants day 1 and a good one.
Bradshaw didn't get many opportunities early.  Never saw him as marginal, but he did develop into a bigger role

Pick whatever names you want.  Kevin Boss, Billy Ard, Jim Burt, etc.  The point is mid-late round picks who developed and became good starting players.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on May 14, 2024, 10:30:35 AMPick whatever names you want.  Kevin Boss, Billy Ard, Jim Burt, etc.  The point is mid-late round picks who developed and became good starting players.

Well I would start with actual Giants mid-round picks and not FAs or 2nd round picks.   Sorry if my point upset you.

I also feel like when Reese was GM fans weren't calling it a development issue but a drafting issue.  He had a streak of poor 3rd rounders that never contributed and I don't recall anyone saying it was development.

There is one factor over the last 10 years that I think has probably had an effect on development - the carousel of coaching changes.  Players drafted in the mid to late rounds are drafted with a development plan in mind.  When their is new coaches in place 2 years later, they won't look at that player the same or have a role in mind for them. 

Painter

However true that may be, and, in any case, of no consolation, it can be said for at least half the teams in the League except perhaps Jerrah's Boys who through some twist of fate haven't played for a Conference Championship in what will be 29 years, or almost 2 1/2 times longer than Our Heroes. That gotta hurt! Then again, it's been even worse for Washington's NFC Least.

Cheers!

londonblue

Development has been a big issue but the current roster does suggest it is improving IMO.

We have day 3 draft picks and UDFA set to start or play prominent roles in Slayton, Bellinger, McFadden. We have Brightwell, Coughlin who have both played important ST roles (and the departed Cam Brown gets a nod).

We have also rescued cast-off day 3 and UDFA from others and made something of them in Pinnock (drafted & cut by Jets with zero nfl snaps), Hodgins (4 nfl receptions) & McCloud (no nfl tackles etc.).

Holmes might be on his way out but Anderson, Fox, Davidson, Riley, Beavers, Belton, Hawkins III, Owens and this year's rookies will all get a chance to establish roles. I think it is fair to expect at least two of them to contribute positively and a couple more to be on ST.

And we cannot forget the UDFA QB who won games as a rookie...

I actually think Round 3 is our Kryptonite. Hopefully Hyatt and Phillips change that.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

It's just amazing how woefully deficient the 2024 Gmen are to say the 2006 team.  Just go position by position.

Want to get really deptessed?  Look at the 2nd stringers