News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Where was Kayvon all day?

Started by andrew_nyGiants, September 18, 2023, 07:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

Bust.   Very little impact since being drafted.
Poor pick by Schoen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GBLUE

its getting concerning. i think he is WAY overhyped, and maybe bought in a little too much to it himself. you watch parsons(i know hes one of a kind), and the dude just NEVER stops fighting. you dont see that from kayvon, he gets completely engaged with his man and cant fight it off. theres guys smaller than him out there beating tackles on a regular basis. its gotta be a technique thing. but hes gotta figure it out. hes playing like a 4th rounder right now. it took him a while last year to find his footing (albeit from an injury), lets hope he turns it up hard and fast, like..now.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: B1GBLUE on September 18, 2023, 05:03:31 PMits getting concerning. i think he is WAY overhyped, and maybe bought in a little too much to it himself. you watch parsons(i know hes one of a kind), and the dude just NEVER stops fighting. you dont see that from kayvon, he gets completely engaged with his man and cant fight it off. theres guys smaller than him out there beating tackles on a regular basis. its gotta be a technique thing. but hes gotta figure it out. hes playing like a 4th rounder right now. it took him a while last year to find his footing (albeit from an injury), lets hope he turns it up hard and fast, like..now.

Basically how I feel.

I was very high on him coming in, and then I felt reasonably good about him going into the offseason (albeit not over the moon) given how he showed up down the stretch of his rookie season. While it was a different position, it reminded me a little of Thomas' rookie season.

I was looking for him to have a big second season, and while that is theoretically still possible, I have to agree with the majority of posts here that it's not looking great. With that said, unlike with Neal, we at least have seen Thibodeaux have good games. If you pull up the highlights from his game against the Commanders last year (in Washington), it was very impressive.

With that said, a big part of being good is being consistent, and we just have not seen that from him. In fact the majority of his play so far in the league has been uninspiring.

I have not thrown in the towel on him yet by any means, but, like with our other top 7 pick from 2022, it needs to start getting materially better in very short order. The days of the 3-4 year learning curve in the NFL are a relic of the past. Legitimately good players are almost always good by their second year now.

spiderblue43

He looked pouty on the sidelines...
even after the win. Not good  He's gonna be trashed if this selfish act continues. Sadly, he's  :o
lost in this defense. I would feature Simmons as our big play guy.

Philosophers

I read that he had no tackles either.

Guess he was managing his brand.   =))

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Philosophers on September 18, 2023, 05:47:59 PMI read that he had no tackles either.

Guess he was managing his brand.   =))

He had 1 QB Hit.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 18, 2023, 06:33:12 PMhttps://x.com/CarlBanksGIII/status/1703898675553210816?s=20

"We haven't seen him
Miss tackles"

Hahahahh he has to get close to the ball in order to make a tackle!...Banks is wrong here. Thibs is here to disrupt and pressure the QB as per Wink himself. Shame on Banks for trying to protect the guy. He has been basically useless in my mind from what I see.

Dgoodmantrublu

Banks is 100 percent correct. The biggest play of the game was a run stop that occurred late in the game because he set the perfect edge allowing for a run stop to put Arizona in 3rd and long. He was also doubled on a ton of plays. This scheme isn't one where an edge has ever had double digit sacks.

PSUBeirut

Listening to that from Banks actually increases my worry for Thibs....just a gut feeling but I'm wondering if a guy like Thibs who loves the spotlight isn't going to put as much energy or effort into a role he feels is more "containment" or otherwise...unsexy.  ie I wonder if Thibs would ever be happy or flourish in a system that doesn't allow him chances to make bigger, game altering impacts (assuming he even has the ability to do this).

BTW as an aside I watched some a-hole named Van Ginkel for Miami yesterday just completely dominate with a pass rush and it really did make me wonder how our Giants can't find one good rusher to put consistent pressure on a QB.  It's a sad state of affairs.

Trench

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 18, 2023, 06:57:10 PMBanks is 100 percent correct. The biggest play of the game was a run stop that occurred late in the game because he set the perfect edge allowing for a run stop to put Arizona in 3rd and long. He was also doubled on a ton of plays. This scheme isn't one where an edge has ever had double digit sacks.

Nope. Not what I saw

Dgoodmantrublu

Well we often see different things. I think that has been established. Have a great night!

beaugestus

In Thibs defense, I have noticed that he was setting the edge and at times was dropping back in coverage. I agree with Banks we have no idea what he being asked to do in Winks D. As far as I have noticed like Ed stated he seems to lack an inside move.

DaveBrown74

Whatever he is being asked to do, the fact remains that he plays a position that is one of the primary sources of exerting pressure on the opposing QB, and we have seen absolutely none of that so far. I get Banks' point that PFF grades are not gospel (I think everyone here understands that), but it's hard to buy any explanation that defends Thibs' play to such a point that he is completely absolved of the lack of pass rush and seen to be doing just fine. With that said, I'm not going to disagree with Banks on this subject, as he is obviously many multiples more knowledgeable than I. Whatever the case is, our pass rush is objectively non-existent, and Thibs himself repeatedly said during the offseason that he wanted to get more sacks (than just 4) this year. Those last two points are absolute facts. Anything else kind of feels like spin to me, and I'm someone who has been a Thibs supporter.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 19, 2023, 09:50:13 AMWhatever he is being asked to do, the fact remains that he plays a position that is one of the primary sources of exerting pressure on the opposing QB, and we have seen absolutely none of that so far. I get Banks' point that PFF grades are not gospel (I think everyone here understands that), but it's hard to buy any explanation that defends Thibs' play to such a point that he is completely absolved of the lack of pass rush and seen to be doing just fine. With that said, I'm not going to disagree with Banks on this subject, as he is obviously many multiples more knowledgeable than I. Whatever the case is, our pass rush is objectively non-existent, and Thibs himself repeatedly said during the offseason that he wanted to get more sacks (than just 4) this year. Those last two points are absolute facts. Anything else kind of feels like spin to me, and I'm someone who has been a Thibs supporter.

Agree with all of this.

If our defense is not generating any pressure at all - which it's not - then it's an indictment of the coaching staff if they're not asking their edge rushers to pressure the QB.

And regardless of what's being asked of him, it seems virtually impossible for someone drafted that high to get 60+ snaps and not have a single tackle or even assist.

And if Banks is correct and they're not asking him to pass rush to instead do other things, then why the hell did we draft him?