News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is this what you expect to hear from a team captain?

Started by MightyGiants, September 25, 2023, 10:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

I would have no issue with his words if he at least provided what the real reason is

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on September 25, 2023, 10:28:56 AMI would have no issue with his words if he at least provided what the real reason is

He is tied for 4th with 3 missed tackles.  The team has 29 in just 3 games.  Hard not to see that tackling is a fundamental problem with this defense.  You simply are not going to win many games missing 10 tackles a game.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Too many team captains.  By naming as many as the Giants have they have devalued what it means to be a captain.  It's clear McKinney should have never been named one.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

LOL!  Chris Bisignano is the Giants' "Insider."  The price for being an insider is not making waves.  I think Chris fears his comments (with our help  ;) ) just might make waves. He is trying to walk this controversy back.

https://x.com/GiantInsider/status/1706320863589486877?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

MightyGiants

Here is a longer quote and better context.  While better, it's still not what I want to hear from a team captain

Quote"Obviously, we've got to tackle, but that's not why we lost two games. We've got to be better with it, but that's not the reason to us having last two games, in my opinion. The fundamentals matter, and we've got to be a lot better in that aspect, which we will. But that's not the reason why the games are going how they're going," McKinney said. "[There's] a lot of other different things that we've got to correct and be better with, and like I said, fundamentals matter and they're always going to matter, and we'll be better with it. I'm not going to stress too much over that, because I know that we're a good tackling team.

"Obviously, we're just going through a little hiccup, but like I said, we'll correct it, and we'll keep moving forward. Not going to stress over it, though."

Sorry, but you are what your record says you are and 29 missed tacks means you are not a good tackling team no matter how much you claim you are.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 25, 2023, 12:26:17 PMHere is a longer quote and better context.  While better, it's still not what I want to hear from a team captain

Sorry, but you are what your record says you are and 29 missed tacks means you are not a good tackling team no matter how much you claim you are.
Well that's a completely different context. Who was the XXXXXXX who cherry picked his comments on Twitter?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Woody

First couple of years Mckinney played fast and hard....he does not play that way now. Missed tackles are problems with any f=defense ...if he thinks it is not then I am not sure what football world he lives in.
San Fran game their players did not allow many ,very few , after catch yards to the Giant receivers ...night and day difference between Giants and Niners tackling....Giant recievers were hit and tackled immediately after catching the ball . Not so with Mckinney and other Giant players..
also, after watching some good defensive ends play this week it is painfully clear why the Stud dud and other Giant lineman don't get to QB....they are too slow .....some of these DE's around the league absolutely fly and power they way to the QB....Our own Stud Dud Thbs is not fast or strong enough to get it done.

MightyGiants

Here's my issue with McKinney's: the tackling problem will be fixed, no worries, claim.  If it's so easy to fix the problem, why wasn't it fixed after game one?  Why wasn't it fixed after game two?  What makes him believe it will be fixed after game three?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 25, 2023, 12:34:52 PMWell that's a completely different context. Who was the XXXXXXX who cherry picked his comments on Twitter?
And that's why it's so important to not jump to conclusions when stuff like this comes out.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Here are the three questions involving tackling

Q: The tackling has been a big issue for you guys the last two games. What's going on there for you guys and how do you deal with it?

A: Just need to be better tacklers. It's something we've got to practice, but then most importantly on Sundays, just got to be better. I think it's pretty simple.

Q: When people bring up tackling, and you talk about the idea of what you need to focus on, through your career in the season when you have a bad game collectively, what works that following week, from what you've seen, to kind of get back to where you need to be and where you believe you will be? In terms of those fundamentals as far as being able to make those tackles and not miss them.

A: I mean, obviously, we've got to tackle, but that's not why we lost two games. We've got to be better with it, but that's not the reason to us having last two games, in my opinion. The fundamentals matter, and we've got to be a lot better in that aspect, which we will. But that's not the reason why the games are going how they're going. (There's) a lot of other different things that we've got to correct and be better with, and like I said, fundamentals matter and they're always going to matter, and we'll be better with it. I'm not going to stress too much over that, because I know that we're a good tackling team. Obviously, we're just going through a little hiccup, but like I said, we'll correct it, and we'll keep moving forward. Not going to stress over it, though.

Q: Just to play off what you just said, in your mind, why have you lost two games?

A: Didn't start fast, defensively, at least. I don't think we've started fast. I don't think that we've gotten—we don't have any turnovers. I think those are two of the big keys in my mind. Right now, we're just trying to figure out a way where we can be able to force these turnovers. For me as an individual, that's something that I'm constantly trying to figure out, is how to be able to force turnovers and get the ball back for our offense. I think that's two of the reasons. Even the game that we won, we still didn't have any turnovers that game. So, really in the three games that we've played, I think that's the biggest thing for me and for our defense.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Two McKinney's full comments, he and the defense need to be focusing on TACKLING.   A good tackling defense will be a good defense.  Turnovers are nice but they are often the byproduct of being a sound tackling defense.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE