News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

2022 The Giants had 11 draft picks and 5 in the top 100

Started by MightyGiants, September 26, 2023, 09:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

For Joe Schoen that should be a major part of the core of the team he puts together.

2022   1   Kayvon Thibodeaux   5   
2022   1   Evan Neal   7   
2022   2   Wan'Dale Robinson   43   
2022   3   Joshua Ezeudu   67   
2022   3   Cordale Flott   81         
2022   4   Daniel Bellinger   112   
2022   4   Dane Belton   114      
2022   5   Micah McFadden   146   
2022   5   D.J. Davidson   147      
2022   5   Marcus McKethan   173      
2022   6   Darrian Beavers   182   

While admittedly early for a definitive judgment, how many of these 11 appear on track for a second contract?   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

You should do this at the end of the season, Rich.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sooners56

Although early, I'd say ZERO appear to be on track to have a 2nd contract.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Stringer Bell

2022  1  Kayvon Thibodeaux  5 --  disappointment thus far. Some validity to questions around how he's being used, but 1) he hasn't performed even when asked to pass rush, and 2) why draft an edge rusher so high if you're just going to ask him to set the edge, drop back in coverage?

2022  1  Evan Neal  7  -- major disappointment thus far. Has actually looked worse than last year, which is a major concern. Again, some valid questions here around coaching and development, but the eye test right now tells me Neal will not succeed at tackle. The sooner they make a decision on whether to move him, the better his chance to be successful.

2022  2  Wan'Dale Robinson  43  -- persistently injured, Robinson now seems like a luxury pick on a team full of holes. With the OL struggling to provide protection, he's a guy that should be helping with quick throws and YAC. His production in his first game was lacking.

2022  3  Joshua Ezeudu  67  -- uneven performance thus far. Wasn't able to beat out either starting guards, then performs admirably in emergency duty at LT. Team needs to give him a position and have him dive in with both feet. Shows WAY more athleticism than Neal, so I'd like to see a chance at RT.

2022  3  Cordale Flott  81  -- injured, and not even able to unseat Holmes when healthy. Had more hope for Flott, but he hasn't been able to step up. With Robinson looking like a lost cause and the potential to lose Jackson in the offseason, the team needs Flott to contribute.

2022  4  Daniel Bellinger  112  -- after a solid rookie season, hasn't found his footing in his backup role to Waller. Need him to be a force as a blocker, but too many mistakes thus far.

2022  4  Dane Belton  114  -- injured. Pinnock has seemingly staked his claim to one of the safety spots, but between McKinney's poor play and ending contract, there will likely be a spot up for grabs. I'm not convinced Belton is the man for the job, which is too bad, as a 4th round safety should be a contributor.

2022  5  Micah McFadden  146  -- has looked too slow and not athletic enough for much of his NFL career, then has game of his life against the 49ers. There's a chance for MM to be a fixture on this defense, but he needs to be a film rat and hone his instincts to make up for his lack of athleticism.

2022  5  D.J. Davidson  147  -- someone I didn't really think about, Davidson has had a strong year thus far. Let's hope the injury in last game doesn't derail the momentum he built.

2022  5  Marcus McKethan  173  -- pretty uneven in spot duty due to injuries to starters. Maybe with a better OL coach, McKethan could develop into something.

2022  6  Darrian Beavers  182  -- injured. Not sure he's a part of the team's future.

In summary, between disappointing performance of high 1st rounders and injuries, this draft class is not looking promising early on in Year 2. How long this rebuild will take will be impacted a great deal by these players' ability to step up.

They improve and Giants have a good offseason, this team can compete as soon as next year. They continue to struggle and underperform, and it sets them back another 2-3 years.

MightyGiants

@Stringer Bell

Excellent summary.  I appreciate the work you put in.  :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

I thought with all the Intel coming in from Buffalo,  Philly. KC, etc that we would crush the draft.  The second half looks ok,but first 4 picks are not living up to the billing so far

Rambo89

Quote from: sooners56 on September 26, 2023, 10:24:23 AMAlthough early, I'd say ZERO appear to be on track to have a 2nd contract.

I always go back to the Giants 2018 draft which was praised after the 2018 season.  A year later and since it's gone done as one of the worst drafts in Giants history.  Think we need to give this one more time.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: gregf on September 26, 2023, 11:17:48 AMI thought with all the Intel coming in from Buffalo,  Philly. KC, etc that we would crush the draft.  The second half looks ok,but first 4 picks are not living up to the billing so far

Greg,

I had completely forgotten this aspect of it.  I remember Schoen saying he was done with the first 4 rounds in Buffalo and how the Eagles were upset that the Giants had signed Brandon Brown away so late in the draft process.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AYM

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 26, 2023, 10:29:30 AM2022  1  Kayvon Thibodeaux  5 --  disappointment thus far. Some validity to questions around how he's being used, but 1) he hasn't performed even when asked to pass rush, and 2) why draft an edge rusher so high if you're just going to ask him to set the edge, drop back in coverage?

2022  1  Evan Neal  7  -- major disappointment thus far. Has actually looked worse than last year, which is a major concern. Again, some valid questions here around coaching and development, but the eye test right now tells me Neal will not succeed at tackle. The sooner they make a decision on whether to move him, the better his chance to be successful.

2022  2  Wan'Dale Robinson  43  -- persistently injured, Robinson now seems like a luxury pick on a team full of holes. With the OL struggling to provide protection, he's a guy that should be helping with quick throws and YAC. His production in his first game was lacking.

2022  3  Joshua Ezeudu  67  -- uneven performance thus far. Wasn't able to beat out either starting guards, then performs admirably in emergency duty at LT. Teams needs to give him a position and have him dive in with both feet. Shows WAY more athleticism than Neal, so I'd like to see a chance at RT.

2022  3  Cordale Flott  81  -- injured, and not even able to unseat Holmes when healthy. Had more hope for Flott, but he hasn't been able to step up. With Robinson looking like a lost cause and the potential to lose Jackson in the offseason, the team needs Flott to contribute.

2022  4  Daniel Bellinger  112  -- after a solid rookie season, hasn't found his footing in his backup role to Waller. Need him to be a force as a blocker, but too many mistakes thus far.

2022  4  Dane Belton  114  -- injured. Pinnock has seemingly staked his claim to one of the safety spots, but between McKinney's poor play and ending contract, there will likely be a spot up for grabs. I'm not convinced Belton is the man for the job, which is too bad, as a 4th round safety should be a contributor.

2022  5  Micah McFadden  146  -- has looked too slow and not athletic enough for much of his NFL career, then has game of his life against the 49ers. There's a chance for MM to be a fixture on this defense, but he needs to be a film rat and hone his instincts to make up for his lack of athleticism.

2022  5  D.J. Davidson  147  -- someone I didn't really think about, Davidson has had a strong year thus far. Let's hope the injury in last game doesn't derail the momentum he built.

2022  5  Marcus McKethan  173  -- pretty uneven in spot duty due to injuries to starters. Maybe with a better OL coach, McKethan could develop into something.

2022  6  Darrian Beavers  182  -- injured. Not sure he's a part of the team's future.

In summary, between disappointing performance of high 1st rounders and injuries, this draft class is not looking promising early on in Year 2. How long this rebuild will take will be impacted a great deal by these player's ability to step up.

They improve and Giants have a good offseason, this team can compete as soon as next year. They continue to struggle and underperform, and it sets them back another 2-3 years.

Solid write up.

I'm starting to think the KT pick was done without really understanding what Martindale wants from his edges. For what the Giants claim they're asking KT to do, we didn't really need to spend the #5 overall pick on that type of role player.

As far as Neal, too many teams (including Dallas who we can assume knows a little about OL) had him rated highly. I think just like Thomas improved when Columbo was sacked, Bobby Johnson probably needed to go during this mini-bye and a new guy with a fresh approach brought in. At the very least, it may be worth it to get a coach to concentrate just on working with Neal. I'm no expert on linemen, but just watching him, it seems like the problem is he's unsure what to do the first second or so on a lot of plays.

Robinson was a luxury pick, but before he was hurt it seemed like he was starting to make an impact.

Bellinger I think could be a long term functional starter at TE, not a star, but reliable.

Nobody else in the draft has done much one way or the other yet ...

But the 2022 draft is looking a little concerning at the moment. Schoen isn't above criticism for these picks.

Philosophers

If top picks don't play up it will be like the Trey Lance disaster for the 49ers

DragonSoul

You usually need about 3 years to see how things pan out. IMHO it is fun to play this speculation game, but it is futile.

I remember when people were calling Andrew Thomas a bust, and now he is one of the best LT in the league if not top 1-3.

nicky1000

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 10:31:54 AM@Stringer Bell

Excellent summary.  I appreciate the work you put in.  :ok:

Is McKinney becoming Landon Collins 2.0 only a lesser version?

MightyGiants

Quote from: nicky1000 on September 27, 2023, 12:47:22 AMIs McKinney becoming Landon Collins 2.0 only a lesser version?

Hard to say.  It might just be a case that Mckinney is a poor fit for Wink's system
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: DragonSoul on September 26, 2023, 11:45:56 PMYou usually need about 3 years to see how things pan out. IMHO it is fun to play this speculation game, but it is futile.

I remember when people were calling Andrew Thomas a bust, and now he is one of the best LT in the league if not top 1-3.

Thomas is not the best example to make the point you're trying to make IMO. He started off very poorly but then looked better later in his rookie year. Then in year two he was legitimately good.

I think if a rookie is very bad, that's one thing, but you're hopefully looking for signs of improvement by late in the rookie season and then definitely clear signs of improvement in year two. When a rookie is awful, and then he is awful again in year two, to me that's a really bad sign. That was the case with Zach Wilson for example.

sooners56

In todays NFL, it doesn't take more than a year and a few games into next season to really grasp what a player is and will be.   Maybe in the past it took players a few years to know (Strahan, Tuck, etc) but all the big bad defenders were known by the end of year 1 really (watt, bosa, Garrett, parsons, etc). The same goes for Olineman and WRs. Rarely does it take more than 2 years to know what kind of player you have.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!