News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

2022 The Giants had 11 draft picks and 5 in the top 100

Started by MightyGiants, September 26, 2023, 09:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RelaxTension

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 27, 2023, 06:04:15 AMHard to say.  It might just be a case that Mckinney is a poor fit for Wink's system
The new excuse for bad defensive play these days..
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

MightyGiants

Quote from: RelaxTension on September 27, 2023, 09:51:37 AMThe new excuse for bad defensive play these days..

I am not making an excuse.   Frankly, McKinney underperformed last season (when healthy).   There is a harsh but little-discussed cost when you change coaches and schemes.   Whenever you make such changes, there is always a risk of a player being a square peg trying to fit a round hole.  The more drastic the changes, the greater the chances of players not fitting the new scheme.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 27, 2023, 09:59:48 AMI am not making an excuse.   Frankly, McKinney underperformed last season (when healthy).   There is a harsh but little-discussed cost when you change coaches and schemes.   Whenever you make such changes, there is always a risk of a player being a square peg trying to fit a round hole.  The more drastic the changes, the greater the chances of players not fitting the new scheme.

Rich - what's crazy is current management drafted Thibs.  Is he a bad fit or is he a talent miss?  I'm tending toward the latter.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on September 27, 2023, 12:02:14 PMRich - what's crazy is current management drafted Thibs.  Is he a bad fit or is he a talent miss?  I'm tending toward the latter.

I looked at PFF's grades last year and this year (same system).   Last year KT played well.   I am at a loss to explain his drastic drop in performance in all aspects

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

Looks like this was a need draft especially at the top although after Gettleman, there were lots of needs.  I'm of the camp to not panic and that's it's still early.

AZGiantFan

I posted this as part of the thread drift in the injuries thread, but it really fits better here:

To be fair, that draft [2022] was largely based on the remnants of Gettleman's scouting structure.  That wasn't something it was reasonable to expect Schoen to be able to completely overhaul immediately, although he made what changes he could.  He was hired on Jan. 21, 2022, by which time all of the in-season college scouting had been done.  And any input from the Bills & Eagles scouting staff was of limited value as it would only include whatever he and Brandon Brown could remember from raw scouting reports.  I doubt either team let them take scouting reports with them.

Setting up the draft board is a team effort and we had 2 guys with some prior team info none of the rest of the team had, the Gettleman team's scouting reports, and largely the Gettleman team doing the post processing in the three months between his hiring and the draft.  For these reasons I personally cut him a lot of slack for the 2022 draft.

Frankly I think expectations were skewed by the team's success in 2022, which I think was more of a coaching phenomena than a drafting phenomena.  It got us thinking that we were much closer than just entering into year 2 of the rebuild.  And the cloud in the silver lining was that 2022's success degraded our drafting and waiver wire position.

On the GM side it was more about clearing out some players/contracts, revamping the front office and restructuring the scouting operation for 2023.  And the fact that we seem to have gotten 3 starters, a potential #1 receiver, and other promising guys shows the quality of his revamping work far more than a less than stellar (so far) 2022 draft, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

bighitterdalama

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 27, 2023, 06:04:15 AMHard to say.  It might just be a case that Mckinney is a poor fit for Wink's system

Richie, in his first three seasons, Landon Collins was 2016 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, a one-time 1st Team All Pro, a two-time Pro Bowler, a defensive player of the month, and three times defensive player of the week. McKinney, now in his 4th season, has one defensive player of the week award.

My take is that McKinney is getting closer to being the older, rather than the younger, Landon Collins. McKinney has some work to do in order to turn that around. I hope that he does so.

MightyGiants

Quote from: bighitterdalama on September 28, 2023, 02:29:18 PMRichie, in his first three seasons, Landon Collins was 2016 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, a one-time 1st Team All Pro, a two-time Pro Bowler, a defensive player of the month, and three times defensive player of the week. McKinney, now in his 4th season, has one defensive player of the week award.

My take is that McKinney is getting closer to being the older, rather than the younger, Landon Collins. McKinney has some work to do in order to turn that around. I hope that he does so.

I would agree, McKinney doesn't exactly have a proven body of work
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE