News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why did the NFL allow Jalen Carter to fall to #9?

Started by shadowspinner0, September 26, 2023, 04:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4 Aces

RE: Parsons and Carter

No one's disputing they are great players. Everyone knew that entering the draft. The thought was they'd implode at some point and not realize their potential in the NFL.

They are both off to great starts. We'll see if they stay out of trouble because lots of teams thought they wouldn't.

Philosophers

Quote from: shadowspinner0 on September 26, 2023, 04:14:47 PMNot citing some conspiracy that the NFL gave Carter to the Eagles but how teams allowed this ultra promising prospect to fall to one of the best teams in the NFL. People keep citing "character concerns" yet that didn't stop the Eagles from drafting him and making a great team even better. Eagles go to the Super Bowl and they draft Jalen Carter. The Giants have this miserable season and draft Thibs. 

It's hard to read past your post title.  The NFL does not dictate what teams draft players.  Each teams makes independent decisions.  Eagles concluded they understood his maturity and character and took a chance in him.  First eight drafting teams chose not to.

nicky1000

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 27, 2023, 07:04:48 AMWhat is a "low character guy" though, exactly? Is it a guy who may have had a bad incident, such as a DUI, but who kept his nose clean after that, interviewed well, and broadly got very positive feedback from coaches and other sources?

Low character is killing someone in a DUI or DV issues. But
Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 27, 2023, 07:04:48 AMWhat is a "low character guy" though, exactly? Is it a guy who may have had a bad incident, such as a DUI, but who kept his nose clean after that, interviewed well, and broadly got very positive feedback from coaches and other sources?

Or is it a guy who had zero actual noteworthy negative incidents but has a reputation for taking plays off, not always being focused on football, having a me-attitude versus a team attitude, etc.

Based on how we have drafted for some time now, it sort of feels like we cross all of example A off our board, but don't necessarily cross example B off the board. Or we don't due enough due diligence on example B.

I mean look at our team right now. Sure, nobody on the team had a DUI or a bar fight in college that he got caught for, but if we're so discriminating about "character", how do you explain guys like McKinney or even Thibodeaux being on the team?

Or is it a guy who had zero actual noteworthy negative incidents but has a reputation for taking plays off, not always being focused on football, having a me-attitude versus a team attitude, etc.

Based on how we have drafted for some time now, it sort of feels like we cross all of example A off our board, but don't necessarily cross example B off the board. Or we don't due enough due diligence on example B.

I mean look at our team right now. Sure, nobody on the team had a DUI or a bar fight in college that he got caught for, but if we're so discriminating about "character", how do you explain guys like McKinney or even Thibodeaux being on the team?

He killed a guy. Low character. I am
just saying a team on a roll like Philly can take a chance on a talent stud like that because they are the big stack at the table. We are/were the stack. We have to thread the needle. I don't disagree though. Sure, we cross off those guys but then we talked ourselves into a guy who has some good highlights but is not an all day every play effort guy.