News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Donovan McNabb: ‘I’m not a big Daniel Jones fan’

Started by MightyGiants, September 26, 2023, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

"Well, you know what, when you look at their offense — and (Giants head coach Brian) Daboll was supposed to be kind of a QB whisperer so to speak — I really didn't see that last year," McNabb said. "I was looking forward to this upcoming season to see changes in Daniel Jones because, to be honest with you, I'm not a big Daniel Jones fan."

"I want the same energy from everybody who watched the Denver Broncos last year with Russell Wilson when he got his contract," he said. "I thought that the world came down on Russell more than they are right now and Daniel Jones."

https://nypost.com/2023/09/23/donovan-mcnabb-slams-giants-qb-not-a-big-daniel-jones-fan/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

What is Jones doing right now to make anyone a fan of his outside the immediate fan base? Answer not much.

Not that he doesn't have peaks ie Vikings or the 2nd half of the cards game, but he lacks consistency right now and that dates back to last season. Hot, cold, hot, cold, cold, hot, cold, etc that's how most of last season went. We can't continue to have 5 good/great games and the rest average to below average every season. He's making 40 million a year and despite his circumstances we need to see more.

Dgoodmantrublu

McNabb sucked. He's the exact type of QB Jones is. Can run, but is a check down captain. He was carried by great Eagles defenses.

BlueMoshik

Daniel Jones was very consistent last year. Not spectacular, but very good and consistent.

Rambo89

Who cares what McNabb says especially on Russell Wilson who is at the back end of his career.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

I don't care what McNabb says but I also don't necessarily take it as gospel when an ex-player says positive things (about any player) either. Not all of these retired guys even watch the games consistently anymore.

JT39

When you become irrelevant- sometimes you need to say things to get your name back in the public eye.

sooners56

Mcnabb feels the same way as most people do. Aside from some of the Giants fan base, I don't know a single person who thinks Jones is good.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

zephirus

McNabb has always been a blowhard who creates racial tension where there is none.  I think everyone can remember his famous "black on black crime" when T.O. suggested that Brett Favre was a better quarterback than McNabb.  There's a world of difference between Russell Wilson and Daniel Jones.  Russell Wilson wormed his way out of Seattle after demanding input on personnel matters and (allegedly) demanding the firing of Pete Carroll and John Schneider. They traded him for a massive amount of draft picks and then, for literally no reason, gave Wilson more guarantees on his contract.  He's a former Superbowl winning quarterback with a much longer track record than Daniel Jones.  The expectations from Broncos fans were higher for good reason - they gave up more and had a right to expect more.

Daniel Jones, for me, is a very average quarterback.  I didn't like the contract they offered him and I like it even less 3 games into this season.  What I will say in his defense is he's a very unassuming guy.  He accepts the criticism.  He doesn't lash out, throw teammates under the bus or demand coaching changes.  He just goes to work.  I can forgive a man for being of average talent when they exhibit those character traits.  He's a Giant, and I'll root for him and scream for his success until I'm blue in the face - regardless of how that meshes with what I see when I take off my blue glasses and evaluate his skill as a quarterback dispassionately.

babywhales

Quote from: sooners56 on September 27, 2023, 09:42:59 AMMcnabb feels the same way as most people do. Aside from some of the Giants fan base, I don't know a single person who thinks Jones is good.

I heard D Brown make the same comments

I agree with your view of the national perception on Jones.

He can excel if everything or most things go correct.

When less than ideal he clams up, misses opportunities when they are present  and generally plays it save. 

It's looking like not enough gun slinger in him to take on the big dogs
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Dgoodmantrublu

This is what happens when you have so many awful games on national tv. Not all of this has been on him. But you can't absolve him of all blame for these performances.

Quote from: sooners56 on September 27, 2023, 09:42:59 AMMcnabb feels the same way as most people do. Aside from some of the Giants fan base, I don't know a single person who thinks Jones is good.

katkavage

Everyone has an opinion, from Carl Banks to Donovan McNabb. Who cares. Jones, in four plus years, has been a middling to slightly above that QB. He has the potential to become above average. Or he could remain as mediocre. Either way, he is the Giants QB for now and will have a long, lucrative NFL career whether with the Giants or elsewhere as either a starter or backup.

madbadger

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 26, 2023, 09:56:48 PMMcNabb sucked. He's the exact type of QB Jones is. Can run, but is a check down captain. He was carried by great Eagles defenses.

Hard to take your opinion seriously when you say that a six time pro bowl quarterback sucked.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on September 27, 2023, 12:38:52 PMHard to take your opinion seriously when you say that a six time pro bowl quarterback sucked.

and had a higher career QB rating than Eli Manning, who will be getting a gold jacket.

Dgoodmantrublu

Take it seriously or not. He was massively overrated. Defenses carried that team. Only two seasons with over 61 percent completion percentage in a WCO. Never threw for 4k yards in a season. Most seasons were around 3300. He just wasn't that good.

Quote from: madbadger on September 27, 2023, 12:38:52 PMHard to take your opinion seriously when you say that a six time pro bowl quarterback sucked.