News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Donovan McNabb: ‘I’m not a big Daniel Jones fan’

Started by MightyGiants, September 26, 2023, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgoodmantrublu

He vomited in the huddle when faced with the same situation Eli came through on twice. QB rating was low for Eli because he played his career in a complex system and he took chances late in games when behind. McNabb played dink and dunk and choked when he was needed the most.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 27, 2023, 12:41:19 PMand had a higher career QB rating than Eli Manning, who will be getting a gold jacket.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 27, 2023, 12:44:52 PMHe vomited in the huddle when faced with the same situation Eli came through on twice. QB rating was low for Eli because he played his career in a complex system and he took chances late in games when behind. McNabb played dink and dunk and choked when he was needed the most.

I didn't say he was better than Eli. More was just refuting your point that he "sucked." I appreciate you may have been exaggerating a little with that word.

In any case I don't disagree that he was a perhaps a bit overrated.

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 27, 2023, 12:41:19 PMand had a higher career QB rating than Eli Manning, who will be getting a gold jacket.

QB rating is probably the worst way to compare QBs. No offense but it's a plug and chug formula that doesn't take into context how the actual play performed.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on September 27, 2023, 01:07:49 PMQB rating is probably the worst way to compare QBs. No offense but it's a plug and chug formula that doesn't take into context how the actual play performed.

None taken.

I fully disagree that it's anything close to the worst way to compare QBs. No stat is perfect, far from it, but QB rating implements components that I would say are very important: YPA, completions, passing TDs/INTs. Obviously, it's not perfect. But over time it tells you plenty.

I will say this, and no offense to you either, but I think it tells you a good bit more about how effective and efficient a QB is than just straight-up total passing yards, which is the stat you happened to key on.

zephirus

A bit off topic but since we're bringing up the subject of QB Rating and stats in general.

When looking at the all-time interceptions leaders someone once said "They don't let you throw that many interceptions if you're not good" and I can't think of a more true statement.  Here are some names in the top 20 all-time interception leaders: Favre, Tarkenton, Unitas, Marino, Manning x2, Brees, Fouts, Moon, Elway, Tittle, Namath.  Tom Brady missed the cut by a mere 8 interceptions.

files58

This from a guy who the Giants should have put out a "Buddy Ryan" decree for doing the following. Listen to the end for what Aikman has to say. That's all you need to know about the source. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-8Z37p10QY

madbadger

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 27, 2023, 12:43:14 PMTake it seriously or not. He was massively overrated. Defenses carried that team. Only two seasons with over 61 percent completion percentage in a WCO. Never threw for 4k yards in a season. Most seasons were around 3300. He just wasn't that good.

Did Eli suck?

Dgoodmantrublu

Eli played in a complex downfield system. He had one year with a top ten defense. He had several seasons over 4k yards. And Eli was super clutch in the biggest moments. So much better than McNabb.

Quote from: madbadger on September 27, 2023, 03:14:43 PMDid Eli suck?

nb587

I don't think the question here is McNabb vs Eli.  It's the comment that Jones is the same type as McNabb.  I'm not sure what the word type is but if Jones has the career that McNabb had,  I'll be ok with that.  But, he has a long way to go to get there

GloryDays

And I wasn't a big fan of McNabb... So? Who does he think he is to offer his slanted opinion?!

DaveBrown74

We're getting bent out of shape about nothing. McNabb can say whatever he wants about any subject. Who cares?

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 27, 2023, 05:38:58 PMWe're getting bent out of shape about nothing. McNabb can say whatever he wants about any subject. Who cares?

Totally ridiculous that anyone should care.

Dgoodmantrublu

I diverted this convo. I just can stand McNabb even though I'm probably closer to his opinion on Jones than to most Giants fans. Apologies.