News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting stats on DJ's protection.

Started by DragonSoul, September 27, 2023, 10:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSoul

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7CeDBea4AASwfZ?format=jpg&name=large

Also, oline is ranked last in the NFL. And every game even going into week 4 will be a different lineup. How can they gel and lean on one another when a player or two is always changed? Hopefully this coming game it will finally be set and they can finally grow as a group.

MightyGiants

I think the second stat is the more damning one.  Pressure under 2 seconds will blow up almost any play from any offense.  It's hard to put up a consistent offense if you are averaging nine blown-up plays due to major blocking failures a game. 

Until or unless they can fix this issue, the offense will continue to struggle.  I feel optimistic good health will fix the issues with the left side of the line; I am not sure what can fix the issues Neal is having.  However, I will say this, coaches can usually coverup the deficiencies of one weak OT via scheme providing the other OT is sound.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Here's a pretty good article on just how bad the O-line is.

Giants' offensive line unsurprisingly ranks dead last in PFF's latest rankings

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-giants/giants-offensive-line-unsurprisingly-ranks-dead-last-in-pffs-latest-rankings/

QuoteOnly 11 guards are allowing a 9%-plus pressure rate this season, and three of them — Mark Glowinski, Shane Lemieux and Marcus McKethan — play for the Giants.
    Zoltán Buday of Pro Football Focus
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

I saw another "interesting" stat on Jones online. It states Jones has gone 36 STRAIGHT games without having multiple passing touchdowns in back to back games!...can anyone confirm if this indeed is true?

RelaxTension

How is Bobby Johnson still allowed to coach them?
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

MightyGiants

Quote from: RelaxTension on September 27, 2023, 12:37:30 PMHow is Bobby Johnson still allowed to coach them?

He was hand-picked by Daboll (they worked together in Buffalo).  I believe he was one of the first position coaches hired.  In those situations, it usually takes quite a bit for the coach to get fired.  As I have said before, I think this team is missing assistant O-line coach Tony Sparano Jr., who was hired by the Colts and has that line blocking well.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

RelaxTension

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 27, 2023, 12:46:05 PMHe was hand-picked by Daboll (they worked together in Buffalo).  I believe he was one of the first position coaches hired.  In those situations, it usually takes quite a bit for the coach to get fired.  As I have said before, I think this team is missing assistant O-line coach Tony Sparano Jr., who was hired by the Colts and has that line blocking well.
Have the Bills olines played good back when these two were coaching them?
I'm sorry I don't usually watch many of the games besides the Giants.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 27, 2023, 11:03:41 AMI think the second stat is the more damning one.  Pressure under 2 seconds will blow up almost any play from any offense.  It's hard to put up a consistent offense if you are averaging nine blown-up plays due to major blocking failures a game. 

Until or unless they can fix this issue, the offense will continue to struggle.  I feel optimistic good health will fix the issues with the left side of the line; I am not sure what can fix the issues Neal is having.  However, I will say this, coaches can usually coverup the deficiencies of one weak OT via scheme providing the other OT is sound. 

Agree 100%. While being worst in the league at allowing pressure on pass plays is certainly a very bad thing, allowing immediate pressure will create unavoidable failure.

And to do at a rate twice as much as the second worst team is inexcusable. Bobby Johnson needs to go. Otherwise, the buck stops with Daboll. Period.

MightyGiants

Quote from: RelaxTension on September 27, 2023, 12:47:59 PMHave the Bills olines played good back when these two were coaching them?
I'm sorry I don't usually watch many of the games besides the Giants.

The Bills threw a lot of resources at the O-line.   They never played great and good might be a stretch but they weren't as bad as what we have seen with the Giants
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 27, 2023, 12:50:24 PMAgree 100%. While being worst in the league at allowing pressure on pass plays is certainly a very bad thing, allowing immediate pressure will create unavoidable failure.

And to do at a rate twice as much as the second worst team is inexcusable. Bobby Johnson needs to go. Otherwise, the buck stops with Daboll. Period.

I agree Bobby needs to go if this line isn't fixed.   Although I am not prepared to say he should be an in-season firing
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giantleap56

Watching the 49ers and Eagles, I realize one thing about the Giants on the O-line we have no Dawgs. I think that went with Faliciano a D-bag type player. O-line needs to be a lot of bit nasty with execution.

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 27, 2023, 11:03:41 AMI think the second stat is the more damning one.  Pressure under 2 seconds will blow up almost any play from any offense.  It's hard to put up a consistent offense if you are averaging nine blown-up plays due to major blocking failures a game. 

Those stats confirm what my eyes have seen.  As he is dropping back, the pocket is already collapsing.  It's not like he makes his drop back then scans the field then gets sacked in what is more of a blend between a coverage sack and pass rush sack.  No, it is a 100% early pocket collapse most of the time.  I know what my eyes see.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on September 27, 2023, 01:18:24 PMThose stats confirm what my eyes have seen.  As he is dropping back, the pocket is already collapsing.  It's not like he makes his drop back then scans the field then gets sacked in what is more of a blend between a coverage sack and pass rush sack.  No, it is a 100% early pocket collapse most of the time.  I know what my eyes see.

One thing I also noticed is that the pressure if often coming from multiple directions.   A QB can often defeat pressure from one defender but it's extremely challenging to deal with pressure from multiple defenders
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE