News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is the issue expectations?

Started by MightyGiants, September 27, 2023, 07:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

Good question.  In one respect, going to the playoffs and winning a game, made Schoen's job harder.  Some of the moves that were made were short term moves that might not have been long term helpful.  We gave up 3 ir 4 draft choices to target certain players and its not clear to me helped build a stronger team although on paper, all looked like good moves.  The question is, for example, could one of those picks help solidify the OL.

Trench

WR shallow depth?...I think not. That was supposed to be a strong point.

DaveBrown74

If we backtrack a few months, I think it's fair to say that the majority of people out there expected the Giants to regress a bit this year due to (1) a harder schedule and (2) some mean reversion on the luck front insofar as their winning close games in often fortuitous ways went last year. Right now, it looks like that is what we are seeing a little bit.

If there are new problems, I think the primary issue is that some of the younger players who were either extremely promising as draft picks or who showed signs or flashes of potentially being good in the recent past are very disappointing this year so far. I would apply that to both of Schoen's top two picks in 2022 as well as guys like McKinney.

The Giants are not a very good team as of yet. They have a few good players and a few very good players, but the 53-man roster is not especially talented from top to bottom compared to the rest of the league. That was absolutely the case last year too. I'm not sure this is a new problem though. It's been the reality for a while. If some fans convinced themselves that the Giants were going to be Super Bowl contenders this year, I would say that's more those fans' problem than it is the Giants'. The Giants are in a building phase that is ongoing. This was never going to be an overnight fix. I don't think it's news, myself.

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 27, 2023, 08:05:54 PMIf we backtrack a few months, I think it's fair to say that the majority of people out there expected the Giants to regress a bit this year due to (1) a harder schedule and (2) some mean reversion on the luck front insofar as their winning close games in often fortuitous ways went last year. Right now, it looks like that is what we are seeing a little bit.

If there are new problems, I think the primary issue is that some of the younger players who were either extremely promising as draft picks or who showed signs or flashes of potentially being good in the recent past are very disappointing this year so far. I would apply that to both of Schoen's top two picks in 2022 as well as guys like McKinney.

The Giants are not a very good team as of yet. They have a few good players and a few very good players, but the 53-man roster is not especially talented from top to bottom compared to the rest of the league. That was absolutely the case last year too. I'm not sure this is a new problem though. It's been the reality for a while. If some fans convinced themselves that the Giants were going to be Super Bowl contenders this year, I would say that's more those fans' problem than it is the Giants'. The Giants are in a building phase that is ongoing. This was never going to be an overnight fix. I don't think it's news, myself.

Definitely, though I disagree with the poster about the WR's that's a solid group that's deep.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 27, 2023, 08:11:15 PMDefinitely, though I disagree with the poster about the WR's that's a solid group that's deep.

Agreed. WR depth is not our issue. We cut NFL roster-worthy receivers like Jamison Crowder. We have plenty of competent receivers this year. Depth at this position has been an issue in the past but not this year.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 27, 2023, 07:40:25 PMhttps://x.com/clt_ny/status/1707145760309965233?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

Rich: Sorry I just don't see it that way (and I suspect you might actually agree).

This team has done no worse than the vast majority of the football world expected thus far.

It would have been nice to be 2-1 but almost no one thought they would be, so I don't think your issue is pertinent YET.  If the Giants lose to Seattle on Monday, then we might delve into it.  IMO, Seattle is a team in basically the same situation as the Giants.  Both teams are on the "road back" from being not very good, and one of them will win Monday's game. The winner will still be "alive" as a contender while the loser probably will not be, because both teams play in very strong divisions (IMO the NFC Super Bowl representative this year will be the winner of the NFC-East or NFC-West).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Problem isn't expectations. It's poor performance on the field.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

True Blue

Quote from: T200Brown on September 28, 2023, 07:17:59 AMProblem isn't expectations. It's poor performance on the field.

I agree with this.

I'll never have low expectations, all teams should always aspire to win and succeed to the highest level. Their play simply has not been able to cut it.

President Rick

fix the OL and........
better pass protection
better passing game
more productive running game
more time of possession [defense can rest]
more points
more wins

it all starts there.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Jclayton92

Man ive been saying this was a rebuild even last year, we are just in year 2, and us beating a bad Vikings teams after skidding to end the season changed people's perception as they routinely ignored the Eagles playoff ass whooping.

We are super young with some good and bad pieces but we need to keep moving forward and building an actual team. I don't see any chemistry on this team whatsoever. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 28, 2023, 03:49:58 PMMan ive been saying this was a rebuild even last year, we are just in year 2, and us beating a bad Vikings teams after skidding to end the season changed people's perception as they routinely ignored the Eagles playoff ass whooping.

We are super young with some good and bad pieces but we need to keep moving forward and building an actual team. I don't see any chemistry on this team whatsoever. 

J: True. The good news is Shoen/Daboll/Kafka/Martindale made the very best "silk purse" possible out of last year's "sow's ear" (making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, for anyone who cares, is a descriptive phrase much older than any of us). I see no reason to believe they won't do a repeat performance.

It may not translate into the same results as last year, but IMO there is (at the present time) no reason to suspect differently. They are the same people. The Eagles showed everyone how to beat the Giants in last year's final game, and now it's up to the powers-that-be to respond and counter.

That process, IMO, begins on Monday night. We've had far more time to prepare for Seattle than they've had to prepare for us.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Rambo89

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 29, 2023, 05:28:18 AMThe Eagles showed everyone how to beat the Giants in last year's final game, and now it's up to the powers-that-be to respond and counter.

The Giants lost 7 games in the regular season last year 2 to the Eagles.  So it's not like going into that playoff game there was a mystery teams had in beating the Giants who were not and still not this unbeatable force. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Trench on September 27, 2023, 07:50:24 PMWR shallow depth?...I think not. That was supposed to be a strong point.

theres depth. we just have 5 of the same player.

B1GBLUE

thats part of it. the other part is lackluster play. yes, jones has many obstacles to overcome regarding the line, but other than 2 quarters this season, he has been wholly uninspiring. he needs to turn it up. lots of qb's deal with bad line play and still make plays. yes, his situation is a bit worse. but at some point, he needs to make plays that breathe life into this team.

the defense needs to buck up and start playing with some passion. we were supposed to have elite run d, and we have been anything but. the missed tackles need to stop.

so yes, expectations are maybe a bit high. but honestly, they should be high. we improved a playoff team roster, daboll won coach of the year last year, and its year 2 in the same offense/defense. things we havent had in a long time.