News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Seahawks should have better pass defense this week

Started by MightyGiants, September 28, 2023, 08:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Unfortunately for the Giants the secondary is now getting healthy just in time for the Giants (they should have their starting LT as well)

https://atozsports.com/seattle/seahawks-jamal-adams-riq-woolen-return/

This game is not going to be a cake walk.  In preview shows I have listened to so far, Pat Train, Dan and Nick all are predicting a Seahawk victory.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

It's not going to be a cake walk but this can't be used as the reason should the Giants be unproductive in the passing game on Monday.  It's time for that group to step up.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 28, 2023, 08:46:40 AMIt's not going to be a cake walk but this can't be used as the reason should the Giants be unproductive in the passing game on Monday.  It's time for that group to step up.

The entire team needs to wake the F*** up and step up.  The point of this post was stats showed a rather poor defense, but as any Giants fan, unfortunately, knows all too well, injuries impact performance.  So, if you think the Giants will be able to feast on a weak Seahawk's pass defense, those expectations may not be accurate.

The one sliver of hope is that the changes impact the Seahawk's communications, or perhaps the returning players are rusty, but make no mistake, the Giants will have their hands full Monday, especially if Barkley isn't a full go.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 28, 2023, 08:49:59 AMThe entire team needs to wake the F*** up and step up.  The point of this post was stats showed a rather poor defense, but as any Giants fan, unfortunately, knows all too well, injuries impact performance.  So, if you think the Giants will be able to feast on a weak Seahawk's pass defense, those expectations may not be accurate.

The one sliver of hope is that the changes impact the Seahawk's communications, or perhaps the returning players are rusty, but make no mistake, the Giants will have their hands full Monday, especially if Barkley isn't a full go.

Not saying the Giants should automatically feast on the Seahawks but their first three opponents were able to move the ball downfield through the air.  Just as the Seahawks are getting guys back on defense the Giants are getting guys back on their offensive line.  There can be no excuses as to why the Giants underperform Monday in certain aspects of the game other than the players not executing.  And you're right that goes for all aspects of the game.

sxdxca38

The Giants had a very difficult time against Seattle when they played them last year in Washington.

This will not be a cake walk, as the Giants do not match up well with them.

Also, Geno Smith is a good QB, and having another solid year.

For some reason DJ doesn't throw the ball as well in MetLife stadium as he does when he's on the road, so we will have to see what happens.

But sadly, it wouldn't shock me if they have another loss here, but hopefully they pull it out.

The beginning to this year seems like it is going to be brutal.

Hopefully they can come out of this with a win, and be 2-2, but we will see.

DaveBrown74

Last year's game in Seattle was rough, but we did have two costly special teams turnovers by Richie James in that game. Jones also didn't play his best game that day.

I think we are capable of beating this team but it won't be easy. I have a similar view about it as I did on the Arizona game (close win). But we'll see.

Dgoodmantrublu

Having Adams play safety makes their pass defense worse. He is horrid in coverage.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 28, 2023, 09:37:28 AMLast year's game in Seattle was rough, but we did have two costly special teams turnovers by Richie James in that game. Jones also didn't play his best game that day.

I think we are capable of beating this team but it won't be easy. I have a similar view about it as I did on the Arizona game (close win). But we'll see.

I believe the noise issue for Seattle home games provides the Seahawks a significant advantage.  Playing in the Meadowlands is a plus for the Giants.   I am hopeful the Monday Night crowd gets loud and perhaps provides the Giants with a bit of an advantage.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 28, 2023, 11:22:43 AMHaving Adams play safety makes their pass defense worse. He is horrid in coverage.

I looked him up on PFF; his coverage has been a mixed bag, ranging from bad to elite, depending on the season.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

I used my eyes. He's terrible in coverage. Great blitzer. He's basically what Landon Collins was.

Rambo89

Quote from: sxdxca38 on September 28, 2023, 09:26:19 AMFor some reason DJ doesn't throw the ball as well in MetLife stadium as he does when he's on the road, so we will have to see what happens.

You know I hadn't thought about this but when I looked up Jones's career splits Home vs Road I was shocked at the gap.  Despite playing one fewer game on the road in his career he has 8 more TD's, 300 more passing yards, 10 fewer INT's and sacked 13 fewer times on the road vs at home.  Interesting thing though is that he has almost 300 more yards rushing at home (52 more attempts at home) than on the road.  So there is definitely a pattern that makes you ask why he has thrown the ball better on the road and why he is running more at home.  Obviously the weather at the Meadowlands is likely a factor but he also has played road games in Philly and Washington late in the year.

Is the a reason for the gap or is it just a coincidence to this point in his career?

On edit:

I went and dug deeper and found that this was mainly impacted by his 2019-2021 splits.  His 2022 splits actually were a lot better at home than they were on the road.  Though he was averaging 30 more passing yards per game on the road his TD splits were better at home.  He also had better rushing numbers at home.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 28, 2023, 01:12:05 PMYou know I hadn't thought about this but when I looked up Jones's career splits Home vs Road I was shocked at the gap.  Despite playing one fewer game on the road in his career he has 8 more TD's, 300 more passing yards, 10 fewer INT's and sacked 13 fewer times on the road vs at home.  Interesting thing though is that he has almost 300 more yards rushing at home (52 more attempts at home) than on the road.  So there is definitely a pattern that makes you ask why he has thrown the ball better on the road and why he is running more at home.  Obviously the weather at the Meadowlands is likely a factor but he also has played road games in Philly and Washington late in the year.

Is the a reason for the gap or is it just a coincidence to this point in his career?

On edit:

I went and dug deeper and found that this was mainly impacted by his 2019-2021 splits.  His 2022 splits actually were a lot better at home than they were on the road.  Though he was averaging 30 more passing yards per game on the road his TD splits were better at home.  He also had better rushing numbers at home.

Thanks for sharing Rambo

Rambo89

Quote from: sxdxca38 on September 28, 2023, 03:39:42 PMThanks for sharing Rambo

Thanks for bringing up something I hadn't thought about.  When I saw your post it got me thinking about Jones's best games of his career and just thinking about it on the surface all the ones I came up with were on the road so I went and took at look at his career splits.

Dgoodmantrublu

Football is a sport where small sample sizes really distort stats like this. Just 1-2 different games would have the stats telling a very different story.