News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How did this happen?

Started by MightyGiants, September 29, 2023, 08:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

How did the Giants go from last season, where they played their backsides off to the point of performing far better than the talent on the roster, to this year, where everyone is hoping and praying the Giants will put a good effort into their play and at least play up to the talent level on the team?  I appreciate that each team is different, but the team came into this season with more or less the same coaching staff and the core group of players intact.  What happened?  What changed?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

RelaxTension

Not saying it's the truth of this situation but it has been documented that people will strive to meet some goals then not work as hard once those goals were accomplished and  maybe this should apply to the coaches with some of them feeling they have arrived.
We would all hope that the goal wasn't just one playoff win!

Another option is the loss of in the moment focus because the expectation is now greater so they are more worried about getting the win or proving the doubters incorrect instead of just taking care of the business at hand. We see this with players who sign a new big contract and they become too involved with proving the contract instead of being confident and playing in the moment.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Rambo89

Because this is still a work in progress.  We are in Year 2 of a brand new regime after the franchise was run into the ground by the Mara/Reese/Gettleman & cronies.  It's going to take at least a 3rd season to get a foundation built for the long term.  Beginning of last season had a lot go right for the Giants with bounces winning a number of close games that could have easily gone the other way.  A regression this season was likely coming and shouldn't be a surprise.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 29, 2023, 09:51:53 AMBecause this is still a work in progress.  We are in Year 2 of a brand new regime after the franchise was run into the ground by the Mara/Reese/Gettleman & cronies.  It's going to take at least a 3rd season to get a foundation built for the long term.  Beginning of last season had a lot go right for the Giants with bounces winning a number of close games that could have easily gone the other way.  A regression this season was likely coming and shouldn't be a surprise.

I could understand a regression of performance, but it appears there has been a major regression of effort.  I am not sure that can be explained away as part of a rebuilding process.   If anything, you would think the effort would be better as there are more of Joe's and Brian's players on the field and in the locker room.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Press clippings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

I can't explain the regression of effort, but the regression of performance is in line with expectations. I know when we did the final win prediction thread here right before the start of the season almost everyone was around 10 or 11 wins, but the rest of the public obviously didn't agree, given the 7.5 over/under.

Seasons evolve though, and it's still early. I think it's hard to draw big conclusions about the 2023 season at this point.

zephirus

How did what happen?  We're 3 games into the season and got spanked by 2 of the better teams in the league.  We're 1-2, you guys make it sound like we're dead.  We don't have nearly enough data points to make any meaningful conclusions. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: zephirus on September 29, 2023, 10:57:33 AMHow did what happen?  We're 3 games into the season and got spanked by 2 of the better teams in the league.  We're 1-2, you guys make it sound like we're dead.  We don't have nearly enough data points to make any meaningful conclusions. 

Regardless of the caliber of team face, there shouldn't be missed tackles (in my opinion)

The Giants went from 8 missed tackles per game, to 9.7 missed tackles per game.  Considering that the Giants moved on from 5 of the top 10 Giants (in terms of the number of missed tackles), we should have expected an improvement in that metric, not a regression.   The team even bolstered key areas like ILB and IDL with bigger-ticket free agents.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: zephirus on September 29, 2023, 10:57:33 AMHow did what happen?  We're 3 games into the season and got spanked by 2 of the better teams in the league.  We're 1-2, you guys make it sound like we're dead.  We don't have nearly enough data points to make any meaningful conclusions. 

I think the issue is we are coming off a season where we had a winning record and won a playoff game, and then this offseason on the whole seemed positive (net gained talent, pretty good health going into the season for a change, and looked good for the most part in camp/preseason). So far, we have looked like a Joe Judge or Pat Schurmur team for 10 out of the 12 quarters we have played. One of those losses was historically bad. Meanwhile some of the soundbites/social media stuff from both coaches and players have been disappointing.

So I'd say people are justifiably disturbed by how bad the team has looked and seemed so far. And I get that three games is not a lot, but it's not irrelevant either. We are one good half away from being 0-3, and 0-3 teams almost never make the playoffs.

Trench

- Bad tackling
- Questionable play calling
- Lack of pass rush
- QB not being able to do what EVERYONE said he would do after watching him in camp
- Country club training camp/lack of preseason reps

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 29, 2023, 09:59:22 AMI could understand a regression of performance, but it appears there has been a major regression of effort.  I am not sure that can be explained away as part of a rebuilding process.   If anything, you would think the effort would be better as there are more of Joe's and Brian's players on the field and in the locker room.

I don't see this as a regression of effort to this point in the season when most of the starters didn't get the reps in Preseason that they did a year ago.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

babywhales

It's the way the off-season, preseason, and first 3 games unfolded

I think the giants simply were not ready for Dallas period

Arizona is better if not much better than people realize

They played 49ers well for 3/4 of the game

So I think the poor line play and Dallas game are bringing the past 12 years of nightmares back to us all

Giants need better line play and better QB play no it's not just the poor line; jones isn't what's wrong but he isn't living up to his contract and taking care of his business either.

Defense needs to start creating leverage, playing in space better and executing fundamentals when tackling.  Thibs and wink need to be sympatico. 

Schoen needs 1 of his 2 1st RD picks to start performing

Special teams needs a foot in their ass

Too little practice, too little live reps, too much $ for unproven players, too much hype, too much media; resulting in too much poor quality uninspired play.

All that being said I'm looking forward to Monday night
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

True Blue

This is year 2 in a rebuild that will take at absolute minimum 3-3.5 years

There are alot of new pieces on both sides of the ball, they are still learning and trying to gel and figure things out. 2 rookie CBs are starting that is a tall task for them. Rookie Center as well.

Letting Love go was a mistake in my opinion, Barkley should have been traded at the deadline and DJ was over paid (don't argue with me over DJ it isn't what I am try to do here, if anyone quotes me to debate it's getting ignored). They have no depth behind Barkley which was a mistake. Should have kept Robinson or added someone else to back him up instead of resigning Bredia in my opinion.

Some guys are being eased back in after suffering injuries a year ago.

The schedule is much tougher and they makers of it did the opening slate no favors for them

As these rookies and returning players gel, get some seasoning and the pieces snap into place, we should see more improvement as the season goes on

We also way overachieved last year

LennG

In a word, "ATTITUDE". Last season the players had that. They always thought they were not given enough respect and played like they wanted that respect. This year, how many people figured the Giants to be a very competitive team--most so that we are on many prime-time games. The players started believing and buying into the hype that they were a good and contending team. Their attitude has changed from being a hungry, disrespected team to one in which they think all they have to do is show up and they can win. I also think this is so for our coaching staff. Some of the game plans have left us scratching our heads, both offensively and defensively. And MAYBE (and I'm not saying this as a fact) but he is void of HC experience so he may be at a loss as to how to right this ship.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Gmo11

Yea I'm not sure I see a lack of effort as much as just a lack of good fortune.  Last season they opened up with a flukey win and that sort of set the tone for the rest of the season. That snow balled into a team that felt like no matter what happened in the first 3 quarters if they were close they could figure out a way to get a win when they needed it.  This year they opened up with a hellacious ass kicking the likes of which are rarely seen at the NFL level.  It's hard not to let that set a tone as well. 

I know they bounced back against Arizona but that was only for 2 of the 4 quarters.  I think they need an unexpected win to sort of get them back mentally into the mode of "we can win these games". Just something to turn the momentum of the season around.  2 quarters against Arizona isn't really going to do it when the first two quarters of that game they were as bad as they were against Dallas.

Seattle is a better team on paper.  If they can hang around and win at the end that would be helpful.  If they go out there and beat the brakes off Seattle that would also help.