News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How did this happen?

Started by MightyGiants, September 29, 2023, 08:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4 Aces

The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

This league will separate the pretenders quick. For guys new on the scene, year 2's kind of that defining year. You may catch people off guard year 1 when there's no book, but year 2, every DC has you figured out. Can we stay ahead of the curve? In the NFL, you either get better or you get worse. The good coaches get buy in and sustain, year to year.

Thankfully, we're only 3 weeks into the season so we don't have a definitive answer yet. But right now, it looks like year 2 McAdoo, Shurmur & Judge. Uninspired football, no leadership and no playmakers. Hard to believe.

Rambo89

Quote from: 4 Aces on September 29, 2023, 06:00:27 PMThe simplest answer is usually the correct one.

This league will separate the pretenders quick. For guys new on the scene, year 2's kind of that defining year. You may catch people off guard year 1 when there's no book, but year 2, every DC has you figured out. Can we stay ahead of the curve? In the NFL, you either get better or you get worse. The good coaches get buy in and sustain, year to year.

Thankfully, we're only 3 weeks into the season so we don't have a definitive answer yet. But right now, it looks like year 2 McAdoo, Shurmur & Judge. Uninspired football, no leadership and no playmakers. Hard to believe.

Disagree about Year 2 is a defining season for a new regime.  Think we need to give it until Year 3.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 29, 2023, 06:09:16 PMDisagree about Year 2 is a defining season for a new regime.  Think we need to give it until Year 3.

Do we have examples of the multi-year rebuilds with a slump in year two?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 30, 2023, 08:00:01 AMDo we have examples of the multi-year rebuilds with a slump in year two?

Jim Fassel Giants took a step back in years two and three before the SB run in Year four.

On Edit:

Another is Andy Reid in KC.  In 2013 his first season the Chiefs went 11-5 making the playoffs.  The following season they regressed going 9-7.  It wasn't until 2015 that they hit their stride under him where they haven't missed the playoffs since.

BluesCruz

GIANTS LACK SWAGGER

They tend to want to draft choirboys and thus the lack of personality.  Their fans are pretty quiet and on average a bit long in the tooth, low energy

GIANTS LACK PASSION

The QB is somewhat "Robotic" and that spreads through the offense.  Need to get him and the team fired up somehow

GIANTS ARE LIKE A BEATEN DOG

So many losses to the Eagles and Cowboys in a row (i've lost count) and on Nationaly televised games has left them listless and finding new ways to lose each week.  They really dont beleive in themselves
Its been many moons since they have had a blowout game in their favor

- no turnovers
- no run game
- poor tackling
- weak LBers
- no downfield passing
- turnstiles for an Oline
- horrific play calling (that and the lack of a run game or downfield passing) allows opponents to cheat and load up the LOS- 6-7-8-9 in the box

You can almost predict what play comes next and their seems to be very very few plays they prefer and they use them continually

NFL's most predictable offense

lets face it Schoen has shown no genius at drafting and acquiring the right players

he's let a few like Ritchie James and Julian Love just walk away

Im beginng to become concerned about our leadeships ability to find a path out of the woods

Hope they make me eat my words though
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 30, 2023, 08:00:01 AMDo we have examples of the multi-year rebuilds with a slump in year two?

none that I can remember....then again we havent had many rebuilds.  Long stretches of wandering the desert

Sometimes the lack of overall dominance with 4 Lombardi's in the trophy case amazes me
when we do get to a SB we generally win them
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 30, 2023, 02:22:48 PMnone that I can remember....then again we havent had many rebuilds.  Long stretches of wandering the desert

Sometimes the lack of overall dominance with 4 Lombardi's in the trophy case amazes me
when we do get to a SB we generally win them

Again as I said above the KC Chiefs under Andy Reid.

DaveBrown74

Just to throw in another recent one, Sean McDermott takes over as Bills coach in 2017 and goes 9-7 that year. In year two (Allen's first season) they regress substantially to 6-10. Pretty much since then they've been a top 5 NFL team.

There are a number examples of year two regressions by successful coaching regimes. The idea that these multi-year rebuilds are always linear is just not factually accurate.

SUPERSEE

the team's not that good. not good enough yet for top of the league teams. last season (1) luck (2) schedule (3) Wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk