News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Hypothetical

Started by Philosophers, November 29, 2023, 03:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Let's take Schoen at his word that when DJ returns, he will be the starter (forget liking it or not).  If that's the case the beginning of next season they either have Taylor, Tommy or an inexpensive FA QB starting til DJ returns.  Let's also take him at his word that they still believe in Neal as the RT.  Let's assume the Giants finish with the 6th pick.

If all this happens and management/coaching still believe in DJ for the future, what do you do in FA and the Draft?

1) Fire Rob Johnson as OL coach and hire new top OL coach.

2) Sign a FA starting caliber RG or draft a RG like maybe Zak Zinter in the 4th round.

3) 1st round BPA - need a Day 1 starter who becomes a stud.  Any position.

4) 2nd round BPA with eye toward a high upside DT to replace Leo.  Maybe someone like Maason from LSU or Leonard from Miami or Kris Jenkins from Michigan.  Another option is Tuamalu from Ohio St. as edge rusher.

3) 3rd round - BPA with a look toward a top safety or an OT in case Neal fails or to build depth.  The player who intrigues me here is Guyton from Oklahoma.  He's a RT who played opposite Harrison.

4th - 5th round - BPA with eye toward a RB. 

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on November 29, 2023, 03:41:12 PMLet's take Schoen at his word that when DJ returns, he will be the starter (forget liking it or not).  If that's the case the beginning of next season they either have Taylor, Tommy or an inexpensive FA QB starting til DJ returns.  Let's also take him at his word that they still believe in Neal as the RT.  Let's assume the Giants finish with the 6th pick.

If all this happens and management/coaching still believe in DJ for the future, what do you do in FA and the Draft?

2) Sign a FA starting caliber RG or draft a RG like maybe Zak Zinter in the 4th round.

4) 2nd round BPA with eye toward a high upside DT to replace Leo.  Maybe someone like Maason from LSU or Leonard from Miami or Kris Jenkins from Michigan.  Another option is Tuamalu from Ohio St. as edge rusher.

3) 3rd round - BPA with a look toward a top safety or an OT in case Neal fails or to build depth.  The player who intrigues me here is Guyton from Oklahoma.  He's a RT who played opposite Harrison.

I wait until the next coach and GM are hired after another few years of bad football.

GeauxJints

If DJ is starting next year first round better be a damn STUD OL. Cannot miss on another, but hopefully a new OL coach can fix some of the trash we have

Jclayton92

It hurts my heart and head to even think of drafting an olineman so I hope they refuse and schoen wakes up and gets a qb. If no qb then the best defensive prospect on the board and best defensive or a WR with the early 2nd, and best RB with the late 2nd

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GeauxJints on November 29, 2023, 05:40:43 PMIf DJ is starting next year first round better be a damn STUD OL. Cannot miss on another, but hopefully a new OL coach can fix some of the trash we have

There is no perfectly right answer here, but I really don't want to use another top 7 pick on an offensive tackle.

Given the stipulations Phil has laid out, if the true, clear BPA available in Schoen's eyes is in fact an OT, then OK I guess, but man I really hope that's not how we come out of this.

katkavage

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 29, 2023, 06:07:25 PMIt hurts my heart and head to even think of drafting an olineman so I hope they refuse and schoen wakes up and gets a qb. If no qb then the best defensive prospect on the board and best defensive or a WR with the early 2nd, and best RB with the late 2nd
He has to make it happen. If they are hooked on a top QB, do what it takes. This team will not move forward without a serious improvement in that most important position.

LennG

Quote from: Philosophers on November 29, 2023, 03:41:12 PMLet's take Schoen at his word that when DJ returns, he will be the starter (forget liking it or not).  If that's the case the beginning of next season they either have Taylor, Tommy or an inexpensive FA QB starting til DJ returns.  Let's also take him at his word that they still believe in Neal as the RT.  Let's assume the Giants finish with the 6th pick.

Management or not, believing in DJ, we still need a backup plan for when he fails once again. Sorry, but we need to go QB with as high a pick as possible.
I am tired of seeing our #1 pick go for the OL and we still suck. The OL can suck with a #3 or #4 pick also.
After QB we need another stud on the DL. I know people want a WR but with a decent enough QB, our receiving corp ain't that bad.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Doc16LT56

Quote from: katkavage on November 29, 2023, 03:43:00 PMI wait until the next coach and GM are hired after another few years of bad football.
I was going to say "immediately fire the HC and GM for believing in fairytales."

Unfortunately we can't fire John Mara.  :surrender:

GeauxJints

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 29, 2023, 06:18:23 PMThere is no perfectly right answer here, but I really don't want to use another top 7 pick on an offensive tackle.

Given the stipulations Phil has laid out, if the true, clear BPA available in Schoen's eyes is in fact an OT, then OK I guess, but man I really hope that's not how we come out of this.
What if we get another AT at RT? That would make it worth it, especially if he's a franchise perennial all star. Hopefully Neal can figure it out at Guard.

Big if, and again new OL coach would need to be the first move

Uni

This is too depressing to contemplate

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

4 Aces

Given your assumptions, you take a #1 WR in the 1st round. It's the best group I've seen in a long time, with Marvin Harrison, Jr. and real game-changer.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 29, 2023, 06:07:25 PMIt hurts my heart and head to even think of drafting an olineman so I hope they refuse and schoen wakes up and gets a qb. If no qb then the best defensive prospect on the board and best defensive or a WR with the early 2nd, and best RB with the late 2nd
J: You're right about OL. They need to do that more through free-agency than the draft.

To me, on D, positions needing the most help (assuming everyone comes back whose contract is up) would be D-line interior (replace Leo) and a pass-rusher who can play more than 1/3 of the games (replace Ojulari).

As for WR, if they can't draft one of the three best "leading man" wide receivers, just stand pat unless a great free agent comes loose who actually wants to play for the Giants.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 29, 2023, 09:52:15 PMJ: You're right about OL. They need to do that more through free-agency than the draft.

To me, on D, positions needing the most help (assuming everyone comes back whose contract is up) would be D-line interior (replace Leo) and a pass-rusher who can play more than 1/3 of the games (replace Ojulari).

As for WR, if they can't draft one of the three best "leading man" wide receivers, just stand pat unless a great free agent comes loose who actually wants to play for the Giants.

Bob

I would love WR Tre Harris with or 2nd 2nd rd pick.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 30, 2023, 01:04:01 PMI would love WR Tre Harris with or 2nd 2nd rd pick.
J: As of today, I don't think we're lucky enough for him to last past the high 2nd, IMO.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

andrew_nyGiants

I don't think we can take Schoen at his word vis a vis DJ.

He's regressed for the 2nd time in the mental part of the game. That's not something you can coach up. I don't see him as being anything more than a placeholder for the successor and an eventual back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!