News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who is the most underrated player on the Giants right now?

Started by DaveBrown74, December 21, 2023, 12:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

Quote from: President Rick on December 21, 2023, 04:59:36 PMEd beat me to it,,,Hodgins.  He plays hard, catches the ball and doesn't just fall down when hit.  He's a gamer.  I wish he would get more time and throws.

ehhhh. dude is invisible. he constantly ranks as one of the worst WR in the league. i had high hopes for him but he just ghosted this year.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: B1GBLUE on December 22, 2023, 07:13:01 AMehhhh. dude is invisible. he constantly ranks as one of the worst WR in the league. i had high hopes for him but he just ghosted this year.

Sadly I have to concur. I was very high on him coming out of last year. He really impressed me late last year. I know he is not fast but he brings other skills to the table.

I'm not sure what the issue with him is this year, but he simply isn't being utilized. Maybe that's his fault, maybe it's the QBs' fault, or maybe Daboll/Kafka just haven't involved him as much for any number of possible reasons.

But to illustrate the stark drop-off in usage: last year he was targeted 42 times in just eight games. This year he has played in all 14 games but has only been targeted 28 times. That's an enormous drop-off. It surprises me given they had success throwing to him last year.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 22, 2023, 07:22:05 AMSadly I have to concur. I was very high on him coming out of last year. He really impressed me late last year. I know he is not fast but he brings other skills to the table.

I'm not sure what the issue with him is this year, but he simply isn't being utilized. Maybe that's his fault, maybe it's the QBs' fault, or maybe Daboll/Kafka just haven't involved him as much for any number of possible reasons.

But to illustrate the stark drop-off in usage: last year he was targeted 42 times in just eight games. This year he has played in all 14 games but has only been targeted 28 times. That's an enormous drop-off. It surprises me given they had success throwing to him last year.

the way he came on last year i was like hey maybe we got our #1. i'd be surprised if he's on the roster next year.

TONKA56

Quote from: B1GBLUE on December 22, 2023, 07:44:11 AMthe way he came on last year i was like hey maybe we got our #1. i'd be surprised if he's on the roster next year.

I agree with you guys abouts Hodgins. I like him too. The passing game in general has been ass this year so I'm reluctant to point the finger at any one player. Probably more of a systemic problem which I could go on and on about.

LennG

I vote for Simmons. I think he could be a star in the right system but he plays hard whenever he is in the field. Don't understand why he isn't rushing the passer more?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TONKA56

Quote from: LennG on December 22, 2023, 08:57:58 AMI vote for Simmons. I think he could be a star in the right system but he plays hard whenever he is in the field. Don't understand why he isn't rushing the passer more?

Not sure why they don't line him up opposite KT or even overload by putting him right next to KT occasionally.

jgrangers2

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 22, 2023, 07:22:05 AMSadly I have to concur. I was very high on him coming out of last year. He really impressed me late last year. I know he is not fast but he brings other skills to the table.

Honestly thought he'd be our top guy in terms of targets on a week to week basis. To say he's been disappointing would be an understatement. He's barely been an afterthought outside of that TD in the Packers game.

TDToomer

Quote from: Giant Jim on December 21, 2023, 05:34:14 PMRight now, I think the whole team is overrated. There were articles earlier this year that the Giants overrate their players. Maybe they have a few worth keeping, but there's not much of a core here. Questions about the QB and most of the offensive line mean a total rebuild unless one of their QB's prove to be "thee guy". Barkley with his contract situation. Same with Adoree Jackson. Some WR's have potential, but that's about it. A few pieces on defense, but they all get recognition and will be getting old by the time the O line and QB situations settle.

How are the Giants overrating their players when the majority of them walk away in free agency 4 years after being drafted? Only pro-bowlers plus Jones got extensions.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

It's Hodgins and Simmons for me.

I'd like to see Simmons get more time but he's clearly situational in Wink's eyes (no pun intended).

For Hodgins, a couple of things come to mind: I don't know that they have been designing/calling plays for him and he's had three different QBs this season and the chemistry is different with all three.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Giant Jim

Quote from: TDToomer on December 22, 2023, 09:25:58 AMHow are the Giants overrating their players when the majority of them walk away in free agency 4 years after being drafted? Only pro-bowlers plus Jones got extensions.
They overrate them before drafting or signing them as free agents. After they get here, most don't perform.

beaugestus

Quote from: LennG on December 22, 2023, 08:57:58 AMI vote for Simmons. I think he could be a star in the right system but he plays hard whenever he is in the field. Don't understand why he isn't rushing the passer more?

I was not a fan when he was drafted, he flashes once in a while due to his speed, I thought he was not physical enough for the NFL game and he lacked the twitch necessary to play the DB positions.

Gmo11

I think all of the WRs are currently underrated simply because the QB play has been so putrid how could they possibly show what they are capable of?  Hyatt would likely be in the rookie of the year discussion if he had even average QB play.  Hodgins looked great last year when Jones was playing the position properly and this year looks non-existent.

JT39

No one really. We are a really bad football team with limited star players and too many role players. We are in desparate need of high quality players and quite possibly coaching too.

TONKA56

Quote from: beaugestus on December 22, 2023, 10:47:42 AMI was not a fan when he was drafted, he flashes once in a while due to his speed, I thought he was not physical enough for the NFL game and he lacked the twitch necessary to play the DB positions.

I think Simmons suffers from the classic "more athlete than football player" syndrome. Also I think his coverage abilities lull defensive coordinators into getting too cute with applying him. I still like him on the team though.