News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

This is just pathetic

Started by ozzie, February 02, 2024, 01:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

Schoen needs to get this thing on track. How can you have a Top 10 draft pick 6 out of 10 years and be this bad?
https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/02/new-york-giants-are-nfc-worst-team-of-past-decade/
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

TDToomer

Quote from: ozzie on February 02, 2024, 01:36:09 PMSchoen needs to get this thing on track. How can you have a Top 10 draft pick 6 out of 10 years and be this bad?
https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/02/new-york-giants-are-nfc-worst-team-of-past-decade/

Schoen is only responsible for 2 drafts. The blame for this futility goes to his 2 predecessors.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

ozzie

Yes. What came before him is certainly not his fault, I just hope he can straighten it out and get the Giants back on the winning path.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 02, 2024, 02:20:01 PMSchoen is only responsible for 2 drafts. The blame for this futility goes to his 2 predecessors.

Thomas and Dex (his two biggest stars) were inherited
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2024, 03:54:03 PMThomas and Dex (his two biggest stars) were inherited

Completely true, and while I think Schoen has made some genuine mistakes, I do however think it is too early to conclusively judge him unfavorably.

I realize you didn't do that, of course. Just stating my personal opinion as it applies to the broad topic.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2024, 03:54:03 PMThomas and Dex (his two biggest stars) were inherited
Good point. Schoen has to show that he can move the needle. It's year 3 and the clock is ticking.

Painter

No so fast, my friends or, perhaps, I should just say, Whoa Nelly!

How long did it take Thomas and Dex to prove their worth? If they are your basis for comparison, you might have to eventually consider also comparing bust lists between Schoen and his more recent predecessors.

Moreover, what he inherited could well be described as an economic liability and talent deficiency. Yet the Giants had only its 2nd winning season in more than a decade and even after last season's ill-prepared, injury-marred start, they still managed to have a better 2-year Winning Pct. of .457 than the .345 they averaged over the previous 9 seasons.

Cheers!

ralphpal1

One off schoen draft was a covid year
Very hard to judge
So last year to me was year one
 give him a few more years
We cant keep.letting go of GMs
I hope not

Jolly Blue Giant

Way too early to judge Schoen's draft picks. The team he took over was filled with holes and the bench was almost non-existent. Some of the players that don't become starters become valuable in backup roles. Having depth is as important as having great starters. Give it another couple of years and then take him to the woodshed if that's what some want. Personally, I think he's the best to happen to the Giants in years and I support him 100%

From day one, when he was hired, we all knew the rebuild was a three-year process just to put a competitive team on the field. An unexpected first year success gave rise to false expectations that weren't realistic. Then we got a tough schedule the second year and a slew of injuries, and reality set in. Doesn't mean we should start a whole new rebuild. The worst issue he's had to deal with is the bad chemistry between a coach or two that couldn't deal with the high-strung HC. It will pass and Schoen will deal with it. Have a little faith
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

The nice thing for GMs is that if they draft a player who looks like a stud as a rookie, they get bouquets thrown at them and are heralded as scouting geniuses. If on the other hand they pick a player who is still struggling after two full seasons in the NFL, it's still "way too early to judge."

Hadron

Thibs and Banks are looking like good picks.

Neal? Well, that's a different discussion.

katkavage

How this off season is handled will determine much of his fate. Does have the luxury to wait another year to fix the QB situation? I'm not so sure.

Giant Obsession

Banks is indeed a gold pick.

Thibs is fools gold.  Ignoring what was so evident on film and stated clearly by many experts was folly.
But he might make a good GM handling salary structure and negotiations.....when it is not his day off.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Bob In PA

Looking forward to hearing dissenting opinions on this, which I assume will be numerous.

IMO, in legal terms or not NFL is a monopoly the draft may not be as free and unfettered as it appears.

Especially for QB's but also for star players at other positions, and especially in the 1st round, there are occasional behind-the-curtain deals in which (for example) an owner might agree with another to refrain from drafting a certain player so he can fall to another team (usually to put that player either closer to his home town or to the college crowd for which he performed).

It's not against the rules. Money talks, and IMO spreading star players (especially QBs) around as evenly as possible among all 32 teams is IMO simply one manifestation of Pete Rozell's goal of attaining parity.

In every draft there are inexplicable picks, especially in the 1st round. I would examine every one of them through the "lens" of the point I'm making here. Anyone disagree?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

katkavage

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 03, 2024, 03:35:18 PMLooking forward to hearing dissenting opinions on this, which I assume will be numerous.

IMO, in legal terms or not NFL is a monopoly the draft may not be as free and unfettered as it appears.

Especially for QB's but also for star players at other positions, and especially in the 1st round, there are occasional behind-the-curtain deals in which (for example) an owner might agree with another to refrain from drafting a certain player so he can fall to another team (usually to put that player either closer to his home town or to the college crowd for which he performed).

It's not against the rules. Money talks, and IMO spreading star players (especially QBs) around as evenly as possible among all 32 teams is IMO simply one manifestation of Pete Rozell's goal of attaining parity.

In every draft there are inexplicable picks, especially in the 1st round. I would examine every one of them through the "lens" of the point I'm making here. Anyone disagree?

Bob
It's been done before. There might be an agent who would want to dissuade a team from drafting a player. Or a family member (Manning) who wants his son on a particular team. Things do happen.