News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Breakout or Rejuvenated Players for 2024

Started by Ed Vette, February 17, 2024, 10:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

I think we take a look at Hyatt, Neal, Banks, JMS and DJ as players who can break out or reinvent themselves.

My first choice would be Jalin Hyatt, who after a year of learning the next level and working on his route running and skills has a legitimate chance to have a breakout season. Unfortunately, his success will be aided or limited by others.

Evan Neal has no place to go but up. I don't think they give up on him at RT and it's his job to lose but there in no slack and they will have to have a backup plan and he knows it. He has to be training on his own with some program and I so hope he's looking at his weight and agility.

Thoughts?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

beaugestus

Ed, I hope I am wrong regarding Neal, he just doesn't seem to have the "feet" for the position. I agree with the rest that you have mentioned.

DaveBrown74

I have very limited hopes on Neal. Players who are bad as rookies and then just as bad in year two usually don't have much of a future. Sure, there are exceptions, but overwhelmingly that's the trend. If he surprises me, great, but I'm not expecting it.

I think Banks, Schmitz (who will benefit from the new coach), and Hyatt are all possibilities for breakout years. WDR is as well, even though I know he's not a year two guy. I'd like to see him have a full season without a significant injury.

I can't put DJ in this group as he's a sixth year guy now. He already somewhat "reinvented" himself in 2022, and I think that was the year where we saw the zenith of what he is capable of. And that was pretty limited. Last year he reverted back to being bad again. I think he's better than what he was in 2023, but the idea of some big "breakout" for him seems remote to me. I think the Giants realize this and are looking to upgrade at the position. I don't think DJ will be a Giant in 2025.

Jclayton92

I would add pinnock and Flott to that list I think both were finding their footing and turning a corner at the end of last year. I expect good play from them going forward.

Also can Dane Belton please get more reps the kid finds the football unlike anything I've seen in a long time.

MightyGiants

To this topic, I think we all (myself included) tend to think that players entering the league get incrementally better as they progress through their 4-year rookie contract.

Andrew Thomas and Dexter Lawerence are prime examples (although Dex had a late charge improvement rather than a steady improvement)

Yet, it seems to me the majority of players don't improve that significantly from their rookie season (some, like Bellinger, even regress).  There may be some small improvements, but for the most part you have a pretty good idea of what you have by how they played in their rookie season (or whatever season they started playing significant snaps).

So I would love to believe Evan Neal, Ezeudu, Banks, Hawkins, JMS, Won'Dale, Hyatt, Flott, and so on will all be better next year.  Unfortunately, I think the team will be doing well (by NFL standards) if a third of them show significant improvement.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

If Jalin Hyatt improves his route running, can he be WR1 for the Giants?

JMS needs to get much stronger.  NFL strong.  He got bounced around too much.

Evan Neal trained off season last year with I think Willie Anderson and it did not help.  When a 1st round player does not pan out the Eagles move on.  Giants need to learn that otherwise 2024 will be 2023.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on February 18, 2024, 10:44:55 AMIf Jalin Hyatt improves his route running, can he be WR1 for the Giants?

JMS needs to get much stronger.  NFL strong.  He got bounced around too much.

Evan Neal trained off season last year with I think Willie Anderson and it did not help.  When a 1st round player does not pan out the Eagles move on.  Giants need to learn that otherwise 2024 will be 2023.

I wonder how Neal would have faired with the Eagles Oline coach...

JMS should be on a serious weight training off season program.

I absolutely believe Jalin Hyatt can be a number one Receiver. I like him and he seems like a good kid.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 18, 2024, 10:59:51 AMI wonder how Neal would have faired with the Eagles Oline coach...

JMS should be on a serious weight training off season program.

I absolutely believe Jalin Hyatt can be a number one Receiver. I like him and he seems like a good kid.

Ed: I pray constantly that the bold-print line will be correct, primarily because we lack the money to sign an elite free-agent WR (whether or not any will be available) and we're highly unlikely to get Harrison, Jr.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!