News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What was the Giants' most surprise and most expected 1st rnd pick?

Started by MightyGiants, April 22, 2024, 11:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Which first-round pick most surprised you as a Giants fan?

Which first-round pick did you most expect?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on April 22, 2024, 11:55:24 AMI'm old enough to remember Rocky Thompson.

As a surprise, or as the guy you thought the Giants would draft?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 22, 2024, 11:52:16 AMWhich first-round pick most surprised you as a Giants fan?

Which first-round pick did you most expect?

Did NOT see that one coming - biggest surprise: Eli Apple (with a shout out to rapper non-star Toney)
Expectations met - no surprise at all: Jeremy Shockey

Worst ever first round pick in my memory: Erick Flowers tried to be it, but he lost out to a tie between Ron Dayne and William Joseph  :sick:

Edit: forgot about Deandre Baker...he has to be in the "worst pick ever" category!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 22, 2024, 11:56:15 AMAs a surprise, or as the guy you thought the Giants would draft?
Surprise. He was an unknown. And no one thought the Giants would draft him. And they were right, they shouldn't have.

MightyGiants

While Tony was out of left field (although the trade was a big part of it), I think JPP may have been one of the most surprising.  There were so many guys I thought the Giants would take, like Center Pouncy.  I wasn't home when I heard the pick, but I remember my reaction when I heard it-  "they drafted the guy who does back flips?!?!"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

WR Kadarius Toney (2021 1-20)

CB Deandre Baker (2019 1-30)

CB Eli Apple (2016 1-10)

OT Ereck Flowers (2015 1-9)

DT William Joseph (2003 1-25)

RB Ron Dayne (2000 1-11)

Unfortunately, the Giants have been as predictable in picking "busts" as they have been otherwise which no longer- see above- can be seen as a surprise. But then again, 6 in 24, 1st Round Drafts doesn't seem quite so bad except for the lost opportunities/consequences.

Cheers!

Just_jimmy

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 22, 2024, 12:10:38 PMWhile Tony was out of left field (although the trade was a big part of it), I think JPP may have been one of the most surprising.  There were so many guys I thought the Giants would take, like Center Pouncy.   I wasn't home when I heard the pick, but I remember my reaction when I heard it-  "the drafted the guy who does back flips?!?!"
Whenever I think of JPP, I think of him tipping that kick in Dallas in the playoff run of 2011.

Great pick.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

londonblue

William Joseph shocked me as I was just starting in my draft interest and he was one of my "no way" guys. The least surprising was Saquon as Gettleman might as well have had his name tattooed on his forehead he made it so obvious what he was doing. I was a big fan of AT so I was delighted when we took him.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

bamagiantfan

I mentioned in another topic how frustrated I was with the Mathias Kiwanuka pick. They already had one of the best defensive lines in football and immediately announced they would be moving Kiwanuka to linebacker. He was a decent player but never had a chance to live up to expectations as a first round difference maker.

I guess it is true. You can never have too many pass rushers.  :-??

The news media for months said the Giants wanted Carl Banks to play opposite from LT. Everyone got that one right.

Honorable mention, I was screaming for the Giants to take Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd round. They took WIll Hernandez in the 2nd and Carter in the 3rd. I'm still try to work out if I got that one right or wrong.

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

TDToomer

Amukamura surprised me the most because it was not a position of immediate need coming off a 2010 with Terrill Thomas, Corey Webster and Aaron Ross. Prince barely played as a rookie even with Thomas out for the year. Obviously it all worked out since we won the Super Bowl but I thought taking a DB was a head scratcher.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

Surprise - Cedric Jones

No Surprise - Jeremy Shockey

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: londonblue on April 22, 2024, 02:07:50 PMWilliam Joseph shocked me as I was just starting in my draft interest and he was one of my "no way" guys. The least surprising was Saquon as Gettleman might as well have had his name tattooed on his forehead he made it so obvious what he was doing. I was a big fan of AT so I was delighted when we took him.

I was so happy on draft day that we got Joseph...man, what a let-down. He had all the enthusiasm to be the best, as did Ron Dayne. Joseph got his contract, then ate well and fattened up as football became secondary (maybe tertiary) on his "things to do" list. What a huge disappointment. At least Eric Flowers tried, Joseph simply cashed his check and headed to the restaurants, stuffing his face
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

PSUBeirut

The guy that sticks out to me as most surprising will always be Thomas Lewis.  That dude was NOWHERE on my radar or anyone else's in the 1st round.  I just remember watching the draft and the hosts all scrambling to see who he was and they didn't even have a graphic for the guy so all they patched together was a random screen shot with his helmet on from some game film.  So embarrassing.  =))  =))  =))

Philosophers

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 22, 2024, 02:32:55 PMThe guy that sticks out to me as most surprising will always be Thomas Lewis.  That dude was NOWHERE on my radar or anyone else's in the 1st round.  I just remember watching the draft and the hosts all scrambling to see who he was and they didn't even have a graphic for the guy so all they patched together was a random screen shot with his helmet on from some game film.  So embarrassing.  =))  =))  =))

Great call.  He still is jot on my radar.   =))