News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 28, 2024, 02:37:34 PM@Bill Brown and @Sem

Bill mentioned this yesterday on the main forum.  From what I understand, this is sort of TV piracy for dummies.  The Superbox is essentially an overpriced android device that comes preloaded with what they call an unverified streaming service (a nice name, for they don't know if the programs are properly licensed).

The only real risk would be if the company gets sued and goes out of business (plus the sellers of the product face some risk, so they tend to be on the sleazy side).

You can actually download similar software to your computer or, say, a firestick that would do the same thing.

You can find all you need to know about this here:

https://troypoint.com/what-is-kodi/

https://www.firesticktricks.com/how-to-use-kodi.html

That website also discusses the Superbox, they are not fans

Thanks Rich, I've bookmarked the site and shall take a closer look when I have some time. I currently have a Firestick, along with 2 Roku's and an Apple TV Gen4 box.

Bill Brown

I have 2 firesticks. I have 3 roku devices. These devices are not anything like a superbox. With those devices you download the apps you wish to use. Hulu Netflix etc. The superbox has no download function. If I want to watch live TV or movies there is no recording function no pausing option no rewind option. I have no ability to add any station or remove any station. I bought it to watch the local NY City CBS FOX NBC stations so I can watch the Giants games when the Maine stations show some other team. So I'm not going to worry about a police officer knocking on my door. But I appreciate your concern about me going to prison. And to show I'm not a total thief, I still pay for Hulu, Netflix, and Frndly every month even though I have rarely used them. I  still use 1 Roku device on my TV in my bedroom but the others are sitting in a drawer somewhere and if you would like one I'll be more than send you one free of charge.  I preferred the Roku.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bill Brown on March 28, 2024, 03:25:13 PMI have 2 firesticks. I have 3 roku devices. These devices are not anything like a superbox. With those devices you download the apps you wish to use. Hulu Netflix etc. The superbox has no download function. If I want to watch live TV or movies there is no recording function no pausing option no rewind option. I have no ability to add any station or remove any station. I bought it to watch the local NY City CBS FOX NBC stations so I can watch the Giants games when the Maine stations show some other team. So I'm not going to worry about a police officer knocking on my door. But I appreciate your concern about me going to prison. And to show I'm not a total thief, I still pay for Hulu, Netflix, and Frndly every month even though I have rarely used them. I  still use 1 Roku device on my TV in my bedroom but the others are sitting in a drawer somewhere and if you would like one I'll be more than send you one free of charge.

Bill

Bill,

I am not judging you (although reading back on it, I could see why you might think that).  The companies (including the NFL) are bleeding people dry.   If there are cheat codes around that, I am not going to fault anyone.   From my research, it's unlikely they will go after the consumers; rather, they will likely target the people selling the stuff and providing the means.

That said, I do remember a few record companies going after the worst abusers of Napster when people were downloading music for free (while most people using the service were never bothered).

I am not a big proponent of copyright law. If a carpenter builds a staircase, they don't get to charge everyone who uses it; they get paid for the job.  I think it should be the same with entertainers; you get paid once and are done.  Hell, artists who paint don't get to charge for everyone who looks at their paintings.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I used KODI for many years and it worked great, when it worked. Every few months they, or someone, threw a wrinkle into the software and you had to basically start over. I thought it was completely killed a couple of years ago and haven't been able to use it since.

On a side note, I went to this Home show at the Nassau Coliseum this Sunday. It had many vendors selling everything from new windows to mosquito squad stuff to everything one might need for improving your home. But, lo and behold, there was a guy peddling some sort of box that was advertised as doing the same exact thing Bill is talking about, so how illegal could it be? He was selling this box as a show special for $300, reduced from $335. I didn't buy it as if I did go that route, I would buy something I know works well, like what Bill is recommending, but these things are out there now.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: Sem on March 21, 2024, 02:38:27 PMLast night I was looking for something really light to watch. Bingo! I stumbled on The Detectorists, a mildly funny, quirky British comedy about... "the lives of two eccentric metal detectorists, who spend their days plodding along ploughed tracks and open fields, hoping to disturb the tedium by unearthing the fortune of a lifetime."

Exactly the type of show that would never even be considered for a run on US TV, which is perfect for me and right up my alley. Pluto, Tubi, and Freevee have all the first 3 seasons available.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4082744/

And just like that I've watched all three seasons. What a delightful series! Unlikely anyone here would watch this comedy, but I would still recommend it. There's no action, car chases, violence, nudity, or sex. In fact there's very few laughs, but there are a lot of smiles. A gentle comedy. The show also doesn't have a laugh track, which I think is a bonus. A great show if you want to take a step back, relax, and reset.

*Oh, and Diana Rigg (Emma Peel - The Avengers), is in it, in one of her final appearances before she passed away. Her real life daughter, Rachael Stirling, plays Rigg's daughter in the show.

Sem

I'm currently watching Jury Duty. It's a different kind of show, kind of a cross between The Office and Candid Camera. Somewhat of a "mocumentary" about a trial. There's a film crew (who you never see), filming a trial, complete with the cast talking to the camera during breaks, much like how  The Office was filmed. However....

The following series explores the American judicial process as seen through the eyes of a jury. During a normal trial, jurors are forbidden from discussing the case. But this is not a normal trial. It's fake. Everyone involved is an actor. Except for one person....Ronald Gladden, Juror #5 (Foreperson). 

I just finished the 5th episode. It's pretty damn funny.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22074164/

Jclayton92

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Shogun but it has been the best thing I've watched in forever.

DaveBrown74

Heard good things about Shogun. It's on my list.

Watched the movie "Knox Goes Away" with the Mrs the other night. Michael Keaton is the lead, and Al Pacino has a smaller supporting role. Movie about an aging hit man who gets diagnosed with an extremely aggressive form of dementia. He then gets involved in a complicated situation with his son.

Very solid. Good, clever thriller. Exceeded my expectations.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 07, 2024, 07:24:18 PMHeard good things about Shogun. It's on my list.

Watched the movie "Knox Goes Away" with the Mrs the other night. Michael Keaton is the lead, and Al Pacino has a smaller supporting role. Movie about an aging hit man who gets diagnosed with an extremely aggressive form of dementia. He then gets involved in a complicated situation with his son.

Very solid. Good, clever thriller. Exceeded my expectations.

It's just me but for most of my life, I have avoided all these movies about people getting terminally sick and all that. I have never seen Brian's Song, Love Story, or any other movie that deals with something like this. I know you list it as a thriller, but it does sound a bit depressing??
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Quote from: LennG on April 08, 2024, 01:03:45 PMIt's just me but for most of my life, I have avoided all these movies about people getting terminally sick and all that. I have never seen Brian's Song, Love Story, or any other movie that deals with something like this. I know you list it as a thriller, but it does sound a bit depressing??
Same here. I tend to avoid those types of things too, but I have to admit, Breaking Bad was one of the best shows I have ever seen. But then again, I viewed Walt's diagnosis as more of a vehicle to get the story and his metamorphosis started as opposed to it being the #1 plot. For me BB was more of a tale of a man's descent from mild mannered average Joe into evil drug kingpin.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

To be honest, there is way too much going on in the plot for the nature of this guy's condition to really consume the viewer's emotions. It's not really about that. I wouldn't avoid the movie specifically for that reason. It is nothing remotely like Brian's Song or Love Story. If anything the movie is mildly funny at times despite being a thriller.

Jolly Blue Giant

Well, I rewatched the series "Nikita" (with Maggie Q) on Roku (free with small amount of ads), and enjoyed it so much that it gave me something great to watch that took up a few weeks while waiting for the good stuff to drop

Now I'm rewatching "Covert Affairs" (on Peacock), which I watched more than ten years ago, and I forgot so much of it that it's like watching it for the first time, and it is excellent and giving me something worthy to binge...plus, Piper Perabo is hot. Anyone bored with documentaries and slow-moving dramas, and prefer thrillers...it's a good choice to watch

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

I've started the final season of Curb Your Enthusiasm, two episodes in. As with other seasons/episodes it's very cringey, yet very funny.

Bill Brown

Just watched "Land of Bad"  Very good movie.  Kept me on the edge of my seat. Not for kids.

Bill

""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

LennG

Quote from: Bill Brown on April 10, 2024, 02:17:32 PMJust watched "Land of Bad"  Very good movie.  Kept me on the edge of my seat. Not for kids.

Bill

Where?

Charlie Weiss