News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NYG Trivia - 2021 version

Started by NapoleonBlownapart, May 04, 2021, 06:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapoleonBlownapart

Hi all

I asked this question on the old Giants.com circa 2000....

name the 2 players that were in the huddle for both:

the 1972 Immaculate reception (Pittsburg vs Oakland)

the 1978 "fumble game" (NYG vs Philly)

extra credit

Name the ex NYG whom was involved in the immaculate reception?

Name the ex NYG LBer that was on the Steelers, and if not for a broken neck suffered in 1973, might have been the Steeler MLB on the Super Bowl teams?

double extra credit

name the player the NYG's traded for with the Steelers for the ex NYG's asked in the extra credit question?

Giant Jim

I'll take one guess without looking it up, Jim Clack, the center for The Fumble?

Was the other a linebacker?

kartanoman

Just seeing this now. This era was the formulative years of my Giants Fandom and loyalty so the trivia question is pretty easy.

The Giants, of the late 70s, were desperately looking for decent offensive lineman. They looked to the Steelers who had a plethora of them and, in 1977, secured the infamous Gordon Gravelle, a left tackle, for a high draft pick (2nd round?). The following year, the Giants were in dire need for a center. Again, they looked to the Steelers and managed a trade for their backup to the legendary Mike Webster, i.e. Jim Clack, while the Giants gave the Steelers tackle John Hicks and receiver Ernie Pough ("pew!"). Both Gravelle and Clack were on the field for the Immaculate Reception and The Fumble.

First bonus is a slam dunk since we're talking about John "Frenchy" Fuqua who remains in the center of controversy over whether he touched the ball on that fateful play. The NFL Films series "A Football Life" dedicated a show to The Immaculate Reception and centered it on Frenchy, his flamboyant outfits as well as his speaking engagements which talk about the play ... "Did I touch it? Or, did I not?"

Looking back into my 1968-69 Giants highlight films, I believe you are looking for Henry Davis, whom the Giants traded to the Steelers, and suffered that neck injury in 1973. I don't know whom, or what picks, the Giants received for Davis.

Great questions! Keep 'em coming!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Giant Jim

Quote from: kartanoman on December 20, 2021, 11:09:15 AM

Looking back into my 1968-69 Giants highlight films, I believe you are looking for Henry Davis, whom the Giants traded to the Steelers, and suffered that neck injury in 1973. I don't know whom, or what picks, the Giants received for Davis.

Dick Shiner, a back up QB who didn't stay there long.