News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you trade 47 and Slayton for 34

Started by madbadger, April 26, 2024, 11:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

The Patriots receiver room is bad and Slayton is a solid pro who can start day one for them. Having just used the 3rd pick overall on a quarterback they need to get him veteran help now not next year.

Slayton on the other hand has no future in NY beyond this season so there's a fit both ways and there are a two really good players Kool Aid McKinstry and Jackson Powers-Johnson who play positions of need who won't last to 47.

uconnjack8

I like Powers-Johnson but do the Giants see IOL as a position of need?

jgrangers2

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 11:13:48 AMThe Patriots receiver room is bad and Slayton is a solid pro who can start day one for them. Having just used the 3rd pick overall on a quarterback they need to get him veteran help now not next year.

Slayton on the other hand has no future in NY beyond this season so there's a fit both ways and there are a two really good players Kool Aid McKinstry and Jackson Powers-Johnson who play positions of need who won't last to 47.

I would make this trade in a heartbeat, but the Patriots never would. You'd have to add more. There's just way too much wide receiver talent left in this class for the Pats to move back 13 spots just to get a non-elite receiver who is due for a payday.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'd make that trade, but I doubt NE would take it. I like Slayton, but with the addition of Nabers, Hyatt coming into his second year, the resigning of Isaiah Hodgins, and Bryce Ford-Wheaton getting baptized into the NFL...I'm not so sure if he's going to be getting nearly the touches he has been getting. And if he's unhappy in his current status and salary, it could become a problem

On the other hand, with the focus of defenses switching to stopping Nabers, Slayton (who normally is the focus of the best CB) could thrive. I guess it depends on how much faith the team has in Hyatt taking the next step

Bottom line:  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 26, 2024, 11:16:13 AMI like Powers-Johnson but do the Giants see IOL as a position of need?

Guy can play either OC or OG or OC (if JMS gets hurts/bust) then you get Jermaine who can play RT (If Neal gets hurt/busts)

Guy is a POWERS-HOUSE! Sorry Dad joke :D

Thomas-Runyan-JMS-Powers- Eleumenor/Neal

Is it overkill? Maybe. I just love the talent and think he is your new Chris Snee day 1 starter for the next decade.

madbadger

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 26, 2024, 11:21:09 AMI would make this trade in a heartbeat, but the Patriots never would. You'd have to add more. There's just way too much wide receiver talent left in this class for the Pats to move back 13 spots just to get a non-elite receiver who is due for a payday.

That's true but if they stay at pick 34 there is no guarantee that he will turn into a solid pro and with this trade they get a good receiver who will be good day one and they will have pick 47 to add a lineman or running back to give Maye an even better shot of succeeding. If we have to trade our fourth round pick in return for the Pats fifth round pick to sweeten the pot I won't complain.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 11:13:48 AMThe Patriots receiver room is bad and Slayton is a solid pro who can start day one for them. Having just used the 3rd pick overall on a quarterback they need to get him veteran help now not next year.

You'd be lucky to get a 7th rounder for Slayton. Pats would never make this trade.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 26, 2024, 11:38:42 AMGuy can play either OC or OG or OC (if JMS gets hurts/bust) then you get Jermaine who can play RT (If Neal gets hurt/busts)

Guy is a POWERS-HOUSE! Sorry Dad joke :D

Thomas-Runyan-JMS-Powers- Eleumenor/Neal

Is it overkill? Maybe. I just love the talent and think he is your new Chris Snee day 1 starter for the next decade.

I feel the same way about Powers-Johnson.  Just not sure the team will invest more high draft capital in the OL at this point. 

I don't see this hypothetical trade happening because there will be plenty of talent left at WR at 34.

madbadger

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 26, 2024, 11:16:13 AMI like Powers-Johnson but do the Giants see IOL as a position of need?

My whole premise is that you want to build the offense to the point that you can go all in on a quarterback in 2025 and have the pieces around him to maximize his chances of success. The starting line currently looks like Thomas-Runyan-JMS-Eluemuno—Neal. After that we have no quality depth and Neal has been awful. If Neal doesn't improve quickly I could see the Giants benching him and kicking Eluemuno outside and opening a need for someone who is better than Ezudu at guard.

I understand in doing that you lose the chance to draft a starting corner but you hope that between Thibs, Dex, Burns and Okereke that you can create enough pressure to protect Banks, Flott and Hawkins. Not a perfect solution but at the end of the day there are no silver bullets available.

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 26, 2024, 11:41:27 AMI feel the same way about Powers-Johnson.  Just not sure the team will invest more high draft capital in the OL at this point. 

I don't see this hypothetical trade happening because there will be plenty of talent left at WR at 34.

Who you liking? Kool Aid, Melton Newton Benson Tampa?

Kinda feelin' the CB too

madbadger

Quote from: Stringer Bell on April 26, 2024, 11:41:04 AMYou'd be lucky to get a 7th rounder for Slayton. Pats would never make this trade.

Look at the Patriots receiver room and tell me that they would have zero interest in a guy who managed to put up 770 yards and four touchdowns while being targeted by guys like DeVito and Taylor. He isn't nearly as bad as your post implies he is. They also would get pick 47 and there will still be good receivers available if they want to continue to add to that group.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 26, 2024, 11:54:29 AMWho you liking? Kool Aid, Melton Newton Benson Tampa?

Kinda feelin' the CB too

I'm thinking DT or CB

GloryDays

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 11:39:02 AMThat's true but if they stay at pick 34 there is no guarantee that he will turn into a solid pro and with this trade they get a good receiver who will be good day one and they will have pick 47 to add a lineman or running back to give Maye an even better shot of succeeding. If we have to trade our fourth round pick in return for the Pats fifth round pick to sweeten the pot I won't complain.

There are a bunch of Receivers still available, like McConkey (I can't believe no one took him yet!) that have a pretty high floor and much more upside than Slayton. The only reason they would consider that is if they are eying a different position and they think that player should be there at 47.

madbadger

Quote from: GloryDays on April 26, 2024, 12:05:58 PMThere are a bunch of Receivers still available, like McConkey (I can't believe no one took him yet!) that have a pretty high floor and much more upside than Slayton. The only reason they would consider that is if they are eying a different position and they think that player should be there at 47.

You're missing the point. Other the JuJu Smith Schuster they have no starting caliber receivers in that room. The draft is so deep at receiver that there will still be a good receiver available at 47. If they make this trade and draft a receiver at 47 they can give Maye three guys to work with. If they don't they won't. Hopefully teams are learning from the Giants that it's a fools errand to draft a quarterback in the top ten and then deny him having a group of solid receivers to work with. Tell me how the Pats can end up with three solid receivers for Maye?

uconnjack8

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 11:53:21 AMMy whole premise is that you want to build the offense to the point that you can go all in on a quarterback in 2025 and have the pieces around him to maximize his chances of success. The starting line currently looks like Thomas-Runyan-JMS-Eluemuno—Neal. After that we have no quality depth and Neal has been awful. If Neal doesn't improve quickly I could see the Giants benching him and kicking Eluemuno outside and opening a need for someone who is better than Ezudu at guard.

I understand in doing that you lose the chance to draft a starting corner but you hope that between Thibs, Dex, Burns and Okereke that you can create enough pressure to protect Banks, Flott and Hawkins. Not a perfect solution but at the end of the day there are no silver bullets available.

I don't disagree and love Powers-Johson.  I think he could turn a position into a strength rather than an adequate player. Right now there is still a bunch of question marks outside of Thomas

Just not sure that Schoen and company will prioritize IOL over some other needs. I assume they have some confidence in the guys they signed.