News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Phil Simms out at CBS sports

Started by MightyGiants, April 30, 2024, 09:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I hope Phil still does podcasting, as I think he still has things of value to say

https://x.com/PhilSimmsQB/status/1784943898923524327
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Why is it that CBS is willing to shake up their Football Sunday Studio Team but Fox has the same over the hill guys every season since the mid-aughts? Bradshaw is getting old and the way Jimmie Johnson pointed and screamed at the cameras during the Cowboys blowout loss to GB was a despicable act.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kartanoman

I wouldn't be surprised if Phil wanted it that way. Look at Jim Boeheim up in Syracuse right now. After 47 years as a head coach, he moved into talk radio and is killing it big time with his encyclopedia of knowledge and experience of the game. Phil offers very much comparable credentials that are relevant in today's NFL and he can do these podcasts and radio bits either from his home or minutes away at the local radio station. We have been privileged to have our first Giant Quarterback Hero of the Super Bowl era still with us after all these years. He deserves additional downtime to do whatever he wants to from this point onward.

Fox is Fox and we all know what they are. Actually, not the aughts but since they started in 1994, Bradshaw and Howie Long celebrate 30 years of service on Fox NFL Sunday while James Brown and Jimmy Johnson started in 1994, Curt Menefee took over the lead in 2006, when Brown moved back to CBS, and Johnson left in 1996, to coach the Dolphins, and didn't return until 2002 (NOTE: Ronnie Lott and Cris Collinsworth filled his role in the interim).

The pre-game shows, both Fox and CBS, have become unwatchable because there's too many loudmouths trying to talk over each other and neither are informative as pre-games were in generations' past before the internet. There's nothing better than Brent Musburger starting the show with "You are looking LIVE at Giants Stadium in The Meadowlands!" Irv Cross whose segments were well researched and integrated perfectly with NFL Films back in the day to make outstanding team, player, coach, owner profiles that were meaningful and contributed to the wholeness of the people inside and outside the game. Even NBC's NFL Live! pre-game with Bob Costas had a comparable effective format, although his supporting cast wasn't as talented, in my opinion, as the CBS team (NOTE: I mean, come on, the "Ax" versus the "Greek?").

Fox did more to break up the traditional format of TV presentation of the National Football League with over-sensationalism which was the beginning of the downfall of the romance of watching the NFL on TV. But the internet really opened the Pandora's Box, with the Advent of Fantasy Football, and the latest strides to make gambling in sports easier than ever, it is now what it is and the purists who watch for the love of football, and love of their team, have to endure all of that extraneous "non-value added" fluff to get to what really matters. But, when they finally do, it is there that Phil Simms will be, as he always has been, since he was drafted 45 years ago.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Rosehill Jimmy

Understand Esiason out too.

I can't remember the last time I watched any of the pregame shows, regardless of network
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

LennG

Yeah Boomer is done also, but by his own choice.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on April 30, 2024, 09:35:43 AMWhy is it that CBS is willing to shake up their Football Sunday Studio Team but Fox has the same over the hill guys every season since the mid-aughts? Bradshaw is getting old and the way Jimmie Johnson pointed and screamed at the cameras during the Cowboys blowout loss to GB was a despicable act.

I agree. Bradshaw is pushing 80. He has had that job forever, plus he made plenty of money as a player. There aren't many NFL fans left who even remember him as a player.

Time to give an ex-player with a more direct understanding of the modern NFL a chance. Same with Johnson and others. Where does it say these guys get tenure?

DJN

Go to Fox Phil...They all suck !!!

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 30, 2024, 08:32:07 PMI agree. Bradshaw is pushing 80. He has had that job forever, plus he made plenty of money as a player. There aren't many NFL fans left who even remember him as a player.

Time to give an ex-player with a more direct understanding of the modern NFL a chance. Same with Johnson and others. Where does it say these guys get tenure?

As someone who is usually in tune with u, I couldnt disagree more (that's still ok these days right 😂)....i really enjoy hearing from oldtimers about the NFL. My dad passed away but some of my favorite interactions with him were our conversations where we talked Giants football. He was an oldtimer. Was good to hear his take. For instance he loved Daniel Jones. I am lukewarm at best. He kept telling me "don't give up on him, he just needs a line"

So for me, having people like Bradshaw stay involved makes me think about special moments with the old man where he tried to impart football knowledge from "his day" to help me become a more astute fan in my day.

BlueMoshik

Simms is a smart, funny, fascinating guy who really muted himself to fit TV. He's much better when he does relaxed podcasts or is a guest on people's shows, he lets down his hair and is himself. His media career is far from over.

MightyGiants

Quote from: BlueMoshik on May 01, 2024, 08:38:22 AMSimms is a smart, funny, fascinating guy who really muted himself to fit TV. He's much better when he does relaxed podcasts or is a guest on people's shows, he lets down his hair and is himself. His media career is far from over.

That's an interesting observation.  I tend to agree. I like podcast Simms better than I like broadcast Simms.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

I feel like Bradshaw is the James Carville of football analysis. Bald ragin Cajun's who are past their expiration date on TV.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs