News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT players who had their 5th year option declined

Started by MightyGiants, May 02, 2024, 07:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

12 players officially had their 5th-year options declined:

No. 2: Zach Wilson
No. 3: Trey Lance
No. 11: Justin Fields
No. 15: Mac Jones
No. 16: Zaven Collins
No. 19: Jamin Davis
No. 20: Kadarius Toney
No. 22: Caleb Farley
No. 24: Najee Harris
No. 28: Payton Turner
No. 29: Eric Stokes
No. 32: Joe Tryon-Shoyinka

Alex Leatherwood (No. 17, cut from contract) and Rashod Bateman (No. 27, not enough accrued seasons) were not eligible.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

Can we take.solace.in the fact that the raiders drafted worst then us

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

B1GBLUE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 02, 2024, 07:08:21 PM12 players officially had their 5th-year options declined:

No. 2: Zach Wilson
No. 3: Trey Lance
No. 11: Justin Fields
No. 15: Mac Jones
No. 16: Zaven Collins
No. 19: Jamin Davis
No. 20: Kadarius Toney
No. 22: Caleb Farley
No. 24: Najee Harris
No. 28: Payton Turner
No. 29: Eric Stokes
No. 32: Joe Tryon-Shoyinka

Alex Leatherwood (No. 17, cut from contract) and Rashod Bateman (No. 27, not enough accrued seasons) were not eligible.

Not sure I understand the part about Bateman not having enough accrued seasons.  He actually signed an extension:

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/30/contract-details-for-rashod-batemans-new-3-year-deal-with-the-ravens/

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm finding a certain amount of joy watching the drama unfold between CeeDee Lamb, Micah Parsons and the Cowboys; although, neither has been declined a 5th year option (so it doesn't really address this thread), but a good story anyway. They both want an extension and more than double what they're being paid, and looking at 30+ million per year. Jerry's in a pickle because there's nothing they can do about Dak's huge contract, who flat-out refuses to have it altered or restructured in any way in order to help out the team

Minnesota has the same problem with Jefferson, who says he won't play this year unless he's paid a salary commensurate with top WRs (30+ million per). Will probably be our problem in a few years with Nabers, LOL

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 03, 2024, 11:45:29 AMI'm finding a certain amount of joy watching the drama unfold between CeeDee Lamb, Micah Parsons and the Cowboys; although, neither has been declined a 5th year option (so it doesn't really address this thread), but a good story anyway. They both want an extension and more than double what they're being paid, and looking at 30+ million per year. Jerry's in a pickle because there's nothing they can do about Dak's huge contract, who flat-out refuses to have it altered or restructured in any way in order to help out the team

Minnesota has the same problem with Jefferson, who says he won't play this year unless he's paid a salary commensurate with top WRs (30+ million per). Will probably be our problem in a few years with Nabers, LOL

The Cowboys are a good example of contradictions.   The Cowboys scouting and player development is among or is the best in the NFL

On the other side, their team management outside that area, is at best sub-par
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I am not surprised.  That year felt to me the NFL teams falsely manufactured prospect QB talent than was actually there.  Other than Lawrence nobody during the college football season said Wilson or Lance would be top 5 picks.

madbadger

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 03, 2024, 11:45:29 AMI'm finding a certain amount of joy watching the drama unfold between CeeDee Lamb, Micah Parsons and the Cowboys; although, neither has been declined a 5th year option (so it doesn't really address this thread), but a good story anyway. They both want an extension and more than double what they're being paid, and looking at 30+ million per year. Jerry's in a pickle because there's nothing they can do about Dak's huge contract, who flat-out refuses to have it altered or restructured in any way in order to help out the team

If Nabers has the same production Lamb has had they had better pay him. He won't be the problem, Thibs will be. The Giants committed big money to Burns and if Thibs continues to develop he's gonna want a similar deal in two years. Good luck figuring how to get that done.

uconnjack8

Wish the Giants had the problem of too many draft picks they wanted to re-sign that would command huge salaries.  Although, somehow, with the worst record in the NFC for the last decade they are still up against cap wise

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Philosophers on May 03, 2024, 05:13:55 PMI am not surprised.  That year felt to me the NFL teams falsely manufactured prospect QB talent than was actually there.  Other than Lawrence nobody during the college football season said Wilson or Lance would be top 5 picks.

And unless you were/are a fan of FCS football there's a better than good chance you never saw Lance play
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

jgrangers2

Quote from: Philosophers on May 03, 2024, 05:13:55 PMI am not surprised.  That year felt to me the NFL teams falsely manufactured prospect QB talent than was actually there.  Other than Lawrence nobody during the college football season said Wilson or Lance would be top 5 picks.

I remember Lance having a ton of buzz and it was a big deal when he actually played in one game during the Covid season. Wilson, on the other hand, had that huge season and suddenly shot up draft boards.

uconnjack8

I think the average is like 14 guys per year get this 5th year option.  So this seems like the draft class is within a normal range for this.   

President Rick

so on average more than half of each year's number 1 picks are, based on what their own teams are doing with them,  - for lack of a better word - busts.  not that some won't stay around, but these are the #1 picks of each team.  quite a stat.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

uconnjack8

Quote from: President Rick on May 04, 2024, 08:34:55 AMso on average more than half of each year's number 1 picks are, based on what their own teams are doing with them,  - for lack of a better word - busts.  not that some won't stay around, but these are the #1 picks of each team.  quite a stat.

Not sure if they are busts or teams dont want to guarantee the money a year prior especially since it allbhots the cap