News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I wouldn't count Daniel Jones out, his obituary was written before

Started by MightyGiants, April 30, 2024, 09:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

In the 2022 offseason, most considered Daniel Jones a dead man walking.   

Consider:

1) The Giants passed on exercising DJ's 5th-year option

2) The Giants signed Tyrod Taylor who many fans claimed was as good or better than Jones (he did have a Pro Bowl to his resume)

3) Jones had injury issues and needed to prove he could stay healthy

4) Worst of all, Jones was going to have to prove himself behind a mediocre, at best, O-line with no significant receiving targets.  He would get a bit of a tangential boost from Barkley (who already lost something after his major knee injury)

Everyone was writing Daniel Jones off, there was much talk about the QBs in the draft. Only Daniel Jones decided he wasn't ready to be dead and buried.  He dragged his under-talented team to the playoffs and beat the 13-4 Vikings in the hostile Minnesota stadium.  He earned himself a solid contract.

From Daniel's perspective, this is just deja vue all over again.   I am not suggesting that Jones will stay healthy and knock it out of the park.  I am just suggesting we shouldn't be shocked if Jones plays like a franchise QB and takes the team to the playoffs again while at least staying healthy enough.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

If we are being honest he responded in 2022 by putting up the same production as Davis Mills, Matt Ryan, and Russell Wilson in what was considered the worst seasons of their career.

Let's just hope the running games and defense can carry him again.

I just don't understand the need to pump Jones up when everyone knows what he us at this point. A middling Qb that refuses to throw the ball deep and now he can't run.

If anything hope he sits on the bench and Lock starts so that we at least get the ball thrown down field and don't have to risk Jones getting injured again and his contract being guaranteed in 2025.

This is the Carolina preseason game all over again. How many times does Jones have to let you down for you to finally realize he's not it? Genuinely curious because we are past half a decade at this point and it's meh.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 30, 2024, 10:01:08 AMIf we are being honest he responded in 2022 by putting up the same production as Davis Mills, Matt Ryan, and Russell Wilson in what was considered the worst seasons of their career.

Let's just hope the running games and defense can carry him again.

I just don't understand the need to pump Jones up when everyone knows what he us at this point. A middling Qb that refuses to throw the ball deep and now he can't run.

If anything hope he sits on the bench and Lock starts so that we at least get the ball thrown down field and don't have to risk Jones getting injured again and his contract being guaranteed in 2025.

This is the Carolina preseason game all over again. How many times does Jones have to let you down for you to finally realize he's not it? Genuinely curious because we are past half a decade at this point and it's meh.

Yeah, I'm all for being behind him for this year, pieces are in places and broadly everyone is out of excuses (despite the fact that ought to be the case last year).

There are no excuses. He's cut or re-worked at the end of year. If he's Davis Mills productive then we know which way it's gonna be.

And frankly, I reckon the vast majority of this knows which way it goes.

I am convinced that all Giants fans will root for Jones to succeed but the leash is shorter than my forearm, in my opinion.

Edit - the health next year isn't enough. He's proven to stay healthy once. He needs the numbers in his games that don't pad out his performance. He won't have Barkley to run to a 6-1 start - this is all on him. Let's see what he's got

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on April 30, 2024, 10:08:54 AMeveryone is out of excuses (despite the fact that ought to be the case last year).

The Giants had the worst offensive line in the league last year

Jones was pressured more frequently and quickly than any QB

Jones had no receiving threat of note

I am not sure what you define as excuses, but for those of us who try to be fair in our evaluations (we don't use charged language like "excuses"), Jones was put in a terrible situation for a QB to do well.  It's not to suggest that Jones doesn't need to step up his game, but I am not sure any QB could have done well in DJ's situation last year.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 30, 2024, 10:01:08 AMThis is the Carolina preseason game all over again. How many times does Jones have to let you down for you to finally realize he's not it?

Jess,

You were one of those who had written DJ's obituary before, only to discover you were premature.  Why do you think you are correct this time?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Hadron

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 10:15:30 AMJess,

You were one of those who had written DJ's obituary before, only to discover you were premature.  Why do you think you are correct this time?

Unfortunately, Jones doesn't get to play the AFC South (the Big 12 of the NFL) every year.

The AFC South and NFC North were pretty atrocious that year if I'm remembering correctly. Minnesota had some freakish streak of one-score differential wins that year.

Jolly Blue Giant

Here is my daily prayer: "Dear Lord, please let our message board be something other than more discussions about Daniel Jones that have been discussed with the exact same points more than ten thousand times ad nauseam, by naysayers who are too obsessed with the subject to let it go and move on and cheer our glorious team...the horse is not only dead, but it has been beaten into dust and even the dust no longer exists as it has blown away with the wind. Please don't let it keep coming back...Amen"

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

H-Town G-Fan

Giants tried to pay a ton to draft his replacement just a week ago. If not for the Patriots missing a chip-shot field goal and the Giants' defense pulling out some wins in the second half of the season with Devito at the helm, Drake Maye (or possibly Jayden Daniels) would already be on the roster. Giants were aware of the OL play in 2023--they still tried to replace Jones. Giants were aware of the state of the 2023 receiving corps (though advanced metrics love Wan'Dale and Hyatt was a well regarded pick)--they still tried to replace Jones. These were not mysteries or unforeseen circumstances and, importantly, they did not in any way affect the Giants determination that they would replace Jones with the #3 QB in the draft (and pay a premium for the privilege of so doing).

I don't see a realistic scenario where he is the Giants' long-term solution at QB. And I don't consider Jones magically playing like an MVP-caliber candidate to be realistic. It's possible he replicates 2022--maybe even marginally exceeds it--but that won't be good enough as the deal he got was premised on growth, not stagnation. The Giants gave themselves an out in his contract, as many of us identified at the time, for this precise scenario. I foresee them taking it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 30, 2024, 10:53:05 AMI don't see a realistic scenario where he is the Giants' long-term solution at QB. And I don't consider Jones magically playing like an MVP-caliber candidate to be realistic. It's possible he replicates 2022--maybe even marginally exceeds it--but that won't be good enough as the deal he got was premised on growth, not stagnation. The Giants gave themselves an out in his contract, as many of us identified at the time, for this precise scenario. I foresee them taking it.

To clarify, you don't see an MVP season from Jones; I don't think anyone has suggested that, and I would agree that it would be shocking to see an MVP-like season.  On the other hand, you seem to suggest DJ can't improve his 2022 performance.   That strikes at the point I was making with this thread.  It's far from certain that he will improve on 2022, but I would suggest it wouldn't be surprising if Jones had that growth.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 11:04:08 AMTo clarify, you don't see an MVP season from Jones; I don't think anyone has suggested that, and I would agree that it would be shocking to see an MVP-like season.  On the other hand, you seem to suggest DJ can't improve his 2022 performance.   That strikes at the point I was making with this thread.  It's far from certain that he will improve in 2022, but I would suggest it wouldn't be surprising if Jones had that growth.   

Pretty sure I acknowledged that he could improve upon his 2022 play. That is within the realm of possibility. I'm saying that still won't be enough for him to be the Giants' long-term solution, as I don't see as realistic the level of play necessary in 2024 to sway the Giants from moving on from Jones. To wit, if they thought that was a reasonable scenario, they likely don't fight to pay a premium to draft Maye.

TONKA56

Based on his class and work ethic, Jones is an easy guy to root for, but I have a hard time picturing him at quarterback after 2026 for a myriad of reasons.

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 09:37:43 AMIn the 2022 offseason, most considered Daniel Jones a dead man walking. 

Consider:

1) The Giants passed on exercising DJ's 5th-year option

2) The Giants signed Tyrod Taylor who many fans claimed was as good or better than Jones (he did have a Pro Bowl to his resume)

3) Jones had injury issues and needed to prove he could stay healthy

4) Worst of all, Jones was going to have to prove himself behind a mediocre, at best, O-line with no significant receiving targets.  He would get a bit of a tangential boost from Barkley (who already lost something after his major knee injury)

Everyone was writing Daniel Jones off, there was much talk about the QBs in the draft. Only Daniel Jones decided he wasn't ready to be dead and buried.  He dragged his under-talented team to the playoffs and beat the 13-4 Vikings in the hostile Minnesota stadium.  He earned himself a solid contract.

From Daniel's perspective, this is just deja vue all over again.  I am not suggesting that Jones will stay healthy and knock it out of the park.  I am just suggesting we shouldn't be shocked if Jones plays like a franchise QB and takes the team to the playoffs again while at least staying healthy enough.

It's definitely a deja vu situation. The schedule is roughly comparable, and the off-season moves have been made to improve his supporting cast. So, for all intent and purpose, it's a one-year "prove-it" deal for him.

I agree that this is about as good a situation that he will have as a New York Giant and so now it is time to be as objective as possible, without mitigating circumstances, to fairly evaluate his performance (i.e. not Super Bowl QB or bust, but an honest QB assessment).

Peace!

(Edit to add)

When I wrote "prove-it," I wasn't referring to the New York Football Giants, or the Giants' fans. I agree with the rest here the Giants' brass have a Long-Range Business Plan which, highly likely, does not include Jones in that plan. Jones, by and large, is auditioning for the rest of the league right now.

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 10:15:30 AMJess,

virtually every major Nfl analyst and fan has acknowledged how horrible signing Jones was, so how was I premature?

There might be a handful of people including yourself that believe that the 2022 season was something other than a great mirage hiding Jones warts.

At one point is it Jones? Honestly what is it going to take because it is absurd at this point given his play.

That's how desperate this franchise has become for competent qb play that the fans are ok holding onto a backup qb for half a decade while other teams shed their bad mistakes immediately. Trubisky, Lance, Darnold, Wilson, fields etc teams shed them immediately and at this point I'd rather have most of those guys over Jones.

Jolly Blue Giant

Not to drag this never-ending discussion out, but let me tell you a story about Terry Bradshaw. The first overall pick in 1970. In the first five years of his career, he threw 77 interceptions. His average QB rating was in the mid-50s, with a low of 34 and a high point of 64.1 (the only time he had a QB rating in the 60s). He was ridiculed by fans and analysts alike. He was called a bust and a rural hick that would never adjust to the sophistication of the NFL

After 5 years of hell, he only was a 4× Super Bowl champion (IX, X, XIII, XIV); 2× Super Bowl MVP (XIII, XIV); NFL Most Valuable Player (1978); First-team All-Pro (1978); 3× Pro Bowl (1975, 1978, 1979); 2× NFL passing touchdowns leader (1978, 1982); NFL 1970s All-Decade Team; and is enshrined in the Football Hall of Fame

The list is endless of QBs who had a tough going from the start (especially when going to a bad team and a revolving door of coaches and schemes), but patience sometimes pays off. As a note: DJ has been immensely better than Bradshaw in his first 5 years, who threw 40 interceptions (for which he was taken to the wood shed by everyone with a keyboard), and has had QB ratings of 87.7 (2019), followed by 80.4, 84.8, 92.5, and 70.5...and he has done so working behind the worst rated OL in the NFL and no star receivers. Let that sink in

Can't we all just get behind our QB and watch to see what happens. No one is going to change their opinion on DJ because a person brings up the exact same argument every day (often more than that, every day) for two years. No one is changing their minds after 1,356 posts with the same argument because the person repeated it 1,357 times and it finally "clicked". If a point in an argument is valid and obvious, it only has to be said once, otherwise, it's just an opinion stuck on repeat, like a broken record
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 30, 2024, 11:29:18 AMAt one point is it Jones?

In Jones' career has he ever had a top receiving threat to throw to?

In Jones' career has he ever been protected by a top 16 O-line (with most years being protected by a bottom 5)

Jones has had 3 HCs and 4 OCs in his 5 years.

Are you totally ruling out the possibility that the Oline is at least middle of the pack and the receivers prove to be actual NFL-caliber weapons; Combined with pretty good coaching, is it possible that Daniel Jones can have a pretty good season?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE