News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Day 3 Camp Report

Started by Ed Vette, July 28, 2023, 04:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

It's a hot one and far fewer fans. In the meantime we play.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

KT training the undrafted rookie
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Sills having a good day. Also had his time with the ones.

Hyatt strong day with the ones.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Strong day for the Offense
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 28, 2023, 06:11:46 PMHyatt strong day with the ones.

Great to hear. What types of routes was he running?

Trench

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 28, 2023, 06:31:07 PMGreat to hear. What types of routes was he running?
He caught comebacks, a slant and curls. He ran several Go Routes that went to other Receivers.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Here is my report

I noticed that KT is now the alpha dog when it comes to the edge drills, KT is the first to run them

Jones had a couple of bad throws, but overall his throws were very good.  Jones really seems to have taken a big step forward.

I was really impressed with a great catch from Slayton.  Slayton waited until the last possible second to look back and raise his hands, making it much harder for the defense to defend (lack of warning)

I studied Neil quite a bit and I think he looks much better than last season,  I noticed Neil was even getting snaps with the 2s (half anyway) as well as the ones

Hyatt was quite busy taking snaps with all strings and making a few catches.

I thought Peart looks bigger than I remember him

Banks is having some rookie growing pains

Brederson was the starting center today (Ezeudu was the LG)

I saw McFadden taking some snaps with the ones

I seriously doubt DeVito is going to be an NFL QB

S Gervarrius Owens (sore) and WR Cole Beasley (quad) didn't practice today.
Nunez-Roches remains out.

For years I remember everyone (myself included talking about the defense being ahead of the offense).   That doesn't seem to be the case this year.

That said, Wink did scheme up some blitzes that got home

https://twitter.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1685070191770718208

Bobby McCain's day as 1st-team S
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I was sitting next to Bobby Skinner again and he was paying close attention to Evan Neal, so as a result I was focusing more on Neal too. He was on our side of the field today. Watching how he handled Ojulari and Thibs was very encouraging. He even had extended snaps with the Twos. He's doing much better getting that third step in and it's made a difference in protection and maintaining control of the outside rush. We know he lost weight and converted to muscle. We know he had an extensive Off-Season program. All this seems to have paid off. The key to me is how he handles Defenders with multiple moves and moves to the inside and how he handles Blitz packages. He certainly has the tenacity as evidenced in him taking on I believe 6-6, 276 LB Ryder Anderson to the ground and he stood his ground as they jawed at it.

Last year if you asked me after three sessions if Jones looked like the dominant starting QB, I would have said and I probably did, that there didn't seem to be much separation between Jones and Tyrod Taylor. I remember it took a while for Webb to get up to speed, which is where I see Tommy DiVito, strong arm but indecisive and inaccurate. Circling back to Danial Jones...I was his original detractor before it became fashionable. I have to say that in that one year, he has grown and developed and I think you all are going to be much happier with him behind Center. Last year I remember that even without pads there were multiple run simulations early on and we haven't seen much of that so far. A bit more today as the Players were in Shorts and Shells. The main focus has been the passing game...

We are seeing multiple players get snaps with the Ones. We know the starting guys are Waller, Hodgins, Slayton, and Campbell but Hyatt, Sills, Bellinger, Pimpleton, BFW, and Mickens all had some opportunity with the first and second teams. It's a shame that Robinson and Shepard are sidelined but it's also good because it's giving more snaps to Waller, Campbell, and Hyatt that they wouldn't have gotten. We can see that DJ is comfortable with Waller and he's a game changer for DJ. He also has a great rapport with Slayton as Rich mentioned on that deep sideline pass. DJ has Slayton, TT has Cager and DeVito has Sills as their comfort player. It's been clear to me that Hyatt in three days has elevated himself in the eyes of the Coaching Staff and they definitely are going to get him involved and develop his skills.

Other than a few blitz packages, the Offense clearly dominated today. Let's see what happens when the pads go on.

Not a lot to see on Special Teams but the Hammer did do some non-directional punting. The ball sailed as there was a tailwind which made the punts hard to field. I'm somewhat dismayed that there has been a lack of focus on Special teams. Far from the school of Bill Parcells. Hopefully, it's getting more focus next week. Punt and Kickoff Coverage is extremely important.

One other thing... don't ever ask me to hold your high profile five seats during a Full House, while you go galavanting away for 30 minutes, leaving me to deal with the consequences. Nuff said.

Finally a shout out to Bobby Skinner and Justin Penik from Talkin' Giants, who are so gracious to every person that approached them to shake hands, get an autograph, take a picture, or just chat briefly. Their knowledge of the game goes without saying and we all know that but their appreciation to their fan base is admirable and refreshing. It was enjoyable to witness.     

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jaime

Great stuff Ed & Rich =D>
Miss being at Camp with you two.
Keep those  Reports coming :Chestram:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 28, 2023, 07:55:56 PMHe caught comebacks, a slant and curls. He ran several Go Routes that went to other Receivers.

Still showing the good hands?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 29, 2023, 01:26:32 AMStill showing the good hands?
So far. I recall one drop earlier in the week.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 29, 2023, 01:26:32 AMStill showing the good hands?

Yes, it seemed to me his hands are a strength
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Anyone get eyes on Eric Gray? I assume he's not practicing with the 1s at all.