News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Day 7 Camp Reports

Started by Ed Vette, August 03, 2023, 10:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloryDays

Quote from: Philosophers on August 03, 2023, 03:19:03 PMNow that we have Waller at 6'6" who runs like a WR does that make Hodgins 6'4" frame less necessary as oppose to more speed on the outside?  Just a question.

I think if we have two or even 3 very tall capable targets, our red zone offense becomes that much more potent since defenses do not have enough tall DBs to defend them.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: GloryDays on August 03, 2023, 07:40:22 PMI think if we have two or even 3 very tall capable targets, our red zone offense becomes that much more potent since defenses do not have enough tall DBs to defend them.

And these are improvements in a Red Zone offense that already was top 5 last year - a real strength.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

gregf

I'm loving the early returns on Waller and Hyatt. We might see the qb I envisioned from Jones rookie year.  The early deep ball looks great so far!

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Trench on August 03, 2023, 04:48:40 PMI don't believe so. In fact if we closely look at Jones, his tendency is to throw a high ball so the bigger WR are a benefit to his game

Yeah, I really don't see any chance of Hodgins being overshadowed or the odd man out. His performance last year was maybe a hair shy of A+. He was DJ's most reliable and most productive receiver for a good chunk of a critical development year for our young QB.

That type of bond is not going to be cast aside because of an inconsistent Slayton and fragile Campbell. Hodgins is the clear #2 on this team behind Waller, and I don't see anyone particularly close to him.

Dgoodmantrublu

I think Hyatt and Shep both could certainly threaten the playing time of Hodgins. Campbell is the clear number 1 slot with Beasley behind him.

Jclayton92

I know we are all pumped for the offense but statistically we were horrible against the run and pass last season defensively and to have a great season we need the D to take a bigger leap than the offense in my opinion.

Dgoodmantrublu

I don't think the Giants were bad against the pass last year. The ability to get off the field on third downs demonstrated that. Run defense was one of the worst I can ever remember. But I do think they took steps to fix that.

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 04, 2023, 08:27:30 AMI know we are all pumped for the offense but statistically we were horrible against the run and pass last season defensively and to have a great season we need the D to take a bigger leap than the offense in my opinion.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 05, 2023, 02:22:51 PMI don't think the Giants were bad against the pass last year. The ability to get off the field on third downs demonstrated that. Run defense was one of the worst I can ever remember. But I do think they took steps to fix that.

The Giants' pass defense was 18th in yards allowed, and 20th in net yards per attempt which was bottom 3rd in the league.