News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Top 4 QB's

Started by LennG, March 28, 2024, 09:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Out of the top 4 QBs, who is the one you would NOT like the Giants to draft?

I know there has been a big difference of opinion here. I am not a college guy so all I know about any of these guys is what I read here and acknowledge the wealth of info I receive from all the posters.
So who would you not want the Giants to draft out of the top 4 guys?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Gmo11

Drake Maye and it's an easy answer for me.  I think Williams and Daniels are the top QBs followed by JJ though he isn't on their level.  And then the rest of them get lumped in.  I just don't see much difference between Maye and guys like Penix and Nix and maybe even Rattler as far as NFL prospects go.  Maybe he impresses in the meetings or in the class room but on the field I'm not seeing top 5 pick.

DaveBrown74

Probably McCarthy for me, but I could be wrong. I'm not down on McCarthy but I really like the ceilings of the other three.

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

madbadger

McCarthy, but I think the real big four is Williams, Daniels, McCarthy and Nix. Maye has serious flaws that are going to take a while to fix. He's much closer to Baker Mayfield than he is to CJ Stroud.

Philosophers

Caleb Williams
Drake Maye

MightyGiants

Caleb Williams-  Diva combined with helicopter dad has disaster written all over it, no matter how much talent he has

Jayden Daniels-  We are trying to move on from an injury-prone QB, and I think Daniels is going to be injured often and seriously in the NFL.  He was 210 at his Pro Day after refusing to be weighed at the Combine; I suspect his real weight is closer to 200 (maybe less).  Worse, not only is he light, he has a reckless running style that allows defenders to hit him hard.  He got away with that in college, but NFL players are bigger and faster.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 29, 2024, 07:16:17 AMCaleb Williams-  Diva combined with helicopter dad has disaster written all over it, no matter how much talent he has

Jayden Daniels-  We are trying to move on from an injury-prone QB, and I think Daniels is going to be injured often and seriously in the NFL.  He was 210 at his Pro Day after refusing to be weighed at the Combine; I suspect his real weight is closer to 200 (maybe less).  Worse, not only is he light, he has a reckless running style that allows defenders to hit him hard.  He got away with that in college, but NFL players are bigger and faster.
You might be right, you might be wrong. Despite his size, Jones's running style is abysmal. So size doesn't matter if you don't know how to slide and protect your body. I don't know enough about Daniels to say if he does or doesn't have a good running style. That he hasn't been injured, even in big time college play, is a good sign and doesn't mean he will get pummeled in the NFL.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on March 29, 2024, 07:32:35 AMYou might be right, you might be wrong. Despite his size, Jones's running style is abysmal. So size doesn't matter if you don't know how to slide and protect your body. I don't know enough about Daniels to say if he does or doesn't have a good running style. That he hasn't been injured, even in big time college play, is a good sign and doesn't mean he will get pummeled in the NFL.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2024, 09:51:08 PMProbably McCarthy for me, but I could be wrong. I'm not down on McCarthy but I really like the ceilings of the other three.

Why wouldn't you think that the youngest quarterback who has improved each of his college seasons doesn't have a high ceiling?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I never thought about Daniels and his running style and size versus getting injured.  He runs with an attitude of he will beat you or fake you. Wr need longevity out of our QB

Gmo11

Quote from: Philosophers on March 29, 2024, 09:22:31 AMI never thought about Daniels and his running style and size versus getting injured.  He runs with an attitude of he will beat you or fake you. Wr need longevity out of our QB

A lot of the same things were said about Lamar Jackson when he was coming out.  Too slight of a build, too much running, going to be injured all the time, not accurate. etc.  And what happened was Lamar was just the best athlete on the field even at the NFL level and has won 2 MVP awards.  I'd certainly take that from a Giants QB!  Not saying Daniels is going to be as good as Lamar but I wouldn't write him off just based on that. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on March 29, 2024, 09:49:14 AMA lot of the same things were said about Lamar Jackson when he was coming out.  Too slight of a build, too much running, going to be injured all the time, not accurate. etc.  And what happened was Lamar was just the best athlete on the field even at the NFL level and has won 2 MVP awards.  I'd certainly take that from a Giants QB!  Not saying Daniels is going to be as good as Lamar but I wouldn't write him off just based on that. 

Jackon has been able to complete only one full season out of 6, and he didn't have the wreckless running style of Daniels.

Plus, with Jackson, do you measure your team's success by your quarterback's awards and stats or by the team's success in the playoffs?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

It isn't really hard to emphasize telling a guy like Daniels that he should avoid big hits in the open field. I think it's really a non issue. I'd rather draft a guy who I can tell that he needs to slide earlier than he wants to than to draft a guy who can't escape the pocket in the first place. Then again all of the top five or six guys in the draft are athletic enough to escape an NFL pocket with regularity.

Painter

Quarterback- as it would be premature and, in most cases, too costly. More particularly, however, it's McCarthy for sure. As the Draft is at best a stochastic process, I can't really see McCarthy as providing a more favorable risk/reward than Daniel Jones given the lack of pass protecting/pass receiving support that still exists and which must be given top priority for improvement in this Draft and perhaps next year's as well.

Although, Quarterback is certainly the most important position on the team, success at the position is as much a matter of good fortune as it is the talent and ability of both the chooser and the chosen as was so even with the Chiefs and Mahomes. Not to mention that good fortune is not yet something we can attach to Our Heroes.

Of course, I will support whatever they do, happily or not. And by not, I mean in rationalizing rash or engaging in irrelevant comparisons.

Cheers!