News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

inaugural Players’ All-Pro Team, via the NFL Players Association

Started by MightyGiants, January 11, 2023, 11:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

I am glad to see Dexter there. But how is nose tackle different than Interior DL?

uconnjack8

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on January 11, 2023, 11:43:14 AMI am glad to see Dexter there. But how is nose tackle different than Interior DL?

Its an interesting distinction for this version of the all-pro team.  Perhaps the players feel the goals of 0-technique versus a 3-technique differ enough to warrant a separate mention. 

uconnjack8

No surprise that 3 of the OL are in the NFC East.  I bet there was almost a 4th at LT. 

Painter

The Nose Tackle designation would suggest a purposeful distinction which, as currently applied to Dex, pleases me.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

It would be interesting to see their PFF grades along side their names.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on January 11, 2023, 11:43:14 AMI am glad to see Dexter there. But how is nose tackle different than Interior DL?

Defensive linemen are often identified by the number they lineup at.  Here are the alignment numbers

A nose tackle aligns directly over the center or slightly offset (0 or 1 technique).   The other interior D-line position is the 3 technique that aligns over the outside shoulder of the guard. 

In general, the nose tackle is often double-teamed, and his job is to consume blocks and hold his ground.  The 3-tech is the interior pass rush position.   

Dexter Lawerence is so impressive he is generating pass rush numbers that are typical of a quality 3 tech from the NT position.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE