News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ben Bredeson has not be specifically asked to train at center

Started by MightyGiants, March 27, 2023, 01:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 27, 2023, 01:27:17 PMSo the draft will be about finding a starting center.

I can't see Schoen shopping hungry.  I have to think some veteran will be added.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I suspect two things:

(1) Schoen and his team like a number of OCs available in this draft and feel completely confident that they'll get one of the ones on their list

(2) Schoen and his team feel there are going to be vets and camp cutdown types floating around who are at minimum equal to Feliciano/Gates (and probably better).

My guess is the Giants will indeed draft a center, and they'll also sign a vet who is at least as good as Feliciano.

Ed Vette

Center is not the position you want to start 3rd round talent no matter where you pick him in the draft. BB has had a total of 30 snaps at Center his entire career and all in 2022. Is there a trade or FA out there?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ViewFromSection129

Schoen and staff may like a lot of centers, but I would hate to have to reach to get one.  I don't want them to be in the third round, for example, and have a great player they like, but feel they have to draft a C before it gets too late in the draft.  I am with Rich in that we cannot draft hungry.  We all know we can't fill every need as we might want in 2023, but we can ensure we at least have competency at all positions going into the draft.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 27, 2023, 02:51:04 PMCenter is not the position you want to start 3rd round talent no matter where you pick him in the draft. BB has had a total of 30 snaps at Center his entire career and all in 2022. Is there a trade or FA out there?

The two best FAs are

Connor McGovern, C/G, Jets. Age: 30
Ben Jones, C, Titans. Age: 34

There are some suggesting Colts starting center Ryan Kelly (29) is available via trade
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Ben Jones on the back nine would be a good one-year placeholder. McGovern is also an upgrade.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

True Blue

What if pick 25, or 57 rolls around, and a Center is the top player on Schoens draft board? Does anyone not in favor of it just hate the pick by default? We may be able to find one later on for sure, I'm a big fan of Scruggs and Patterson who are most likely Day 2 or 3 picks by some teams. But the need around the league for centers, and the limited vet options, are gonna cause at least a few to go sooner than expected. I think Schmitz and Tippmann are long gone by 57.

I would argue, that those saying draft a C in Round X, X being whatever round suggested in a given post, is shopping "hungrier", as in those examples the pick forces a certain position at a certain time regardless of what may or may not be available, which is not something most of these examples are accounting for.

Either way, Schoen has proven to be thorough and savvy, I expect him to execute whatever he has to the best of his ability. I also do not expect him to reach on his board, but if he suprises someone and takes one early. That doesn't necessarily make it a reach because espn or whoever else mocked one at a certain spot.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ViewFromSection129 on March 27, 2023, 02:53:46 PMSchoen and staff may like a lot of centers, but I would hate to have to reach to get one.  I don't want them to be in the third round, for example, and have a great player they like, but feel they have to draft a C before it gets too late in the draft.  I am with Rich in that we cannot draft hungry.  We all know we can't fill every need as we might want in 2023, but we can ensure we at least have competency at all positions going into the draft.

Schoen has already put his nimbleness on display in the draft. Let's not forget this is the guy who did two trade-down in his inaugural draft as GM. I fully believe he will trade up or down if needed to get the right value on a guy of his choosing.

If you like 3-4 OCs in a class and think they are all capable of starting as rookies, and you take one of them, to me that's not "shopping hungry." It is if you take one in the first round that you have a third round grade on, but I doubt Schoen will do that.

Also, people seem very rattled by the fact that we got rid of Feliciano. This guy was borderline serviceable but he wasn't some valuable player. I have no doubt Schoen will be more than capable of finding someone who is just as good and probably better in the August scrap-heap if not sooner. Our need for an OC didn't really go up that much after we didn't sign him. We needed one badly before that. He was never the answer. Neither was Gates.

nb587

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 27, 2023, 03:33:36 PMSchoen has already put his nimbleness on display in the draft. Let's not forget this is the guy who did two trade-down in his inaugural draft as GM. I fully believe he will trade up or down if needed to get the right value on a guy of his choosing.

If you like 3-4 OCs in a class and think they are all capable of starting as rookies, and you take one of them, to me that's not "shopping hungry." It is if you take one in the first round that you have a third round grade on, but I doubt Schoen will do that.

Also, people seem very rattled by the fact that we got rid of Feliciano. This guy was borderline serviceable but he wasn't some valuable player. I have no doubt Schoen will be more than capable of finding someone who is just as good and probably better in the August scrap-heap if not sooner. Our need for an OC didn't really go up that much after we didn't sign him. We needed one badly before that. He was never the answer. Neither was Gates.
100% agree.  People are reacting like we had an all pro at center.  I am fairly certain that a 7th round pick would buy a veteran center at least as good as Feliciano maybe better.

Jclayton92

I just hate investing another high pick on the line with so many holes.

Bob In PA

Notwithstanding the original post, we have this from Schoen earlier today...

We had contingency plans in place," Schoen said. "We claimed Jack Anderson; he was with us in Buffalo. He does good work at center. Ben Bredeson is a guy that we feel very comfortable with playing center. And then Shane Lemieux was playing it as well last year before the (toe) injury.

"So, we'll have some guys in there that will battle it out as well. We still have the draft. We still have some sufficient guys on the street that we can consider as well. We don't play until September. We're in camp until August. Guy may be cut post-camp. There could be cap casualties. So, we'll be patient. We'll continue to look. We have confidence in Jack Anderson, Ben Bredeson and Shane that they can snap the ball and play center for us."

I believe he's sincere. IMO at least one of the 3 guys named from the roster is or will be better than Feliciano.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 27, 2023, 10:47:23 PMNotwithstanding the original post, we have this from Schoen earlier today...

We had contingency plans in place," Schoen said. "We claimed Jack Anderson; he was with us in Buffalo. He does good work at center. Ben Bredeson is a guy that we feel very comfortable with playing center. And then Shane Lemieux was playing it as well last year before the (toe) injury.

"So, we'll have some guys in there that will battle it out as well. We still have the draft. We still have some sufficient guys on the street that we can consider as well. We don't play until September. We're in camp until August. Guy may be cut post-camp. There could be cap casualties. So, we'll be patient. We'll continue to look. We have confidence in Jack Anderson, Ben Bredeson and Shane that they can snap the ball and play center for us."

I believe he's sincere. IMO at least one of the 3 guys named from the roster is or will be better than Feliciano.

Bob
He basically said he doesn't put great value on the position. Like snapping the ball is the only value.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 28, 2023, 08:52:12 AMHe basically said he doesn't put great value on the position. Like snapping the ball is the only value.

OR is he creating that impression so as not to tip off their intentions moving forward?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE