News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I respect John Mara

Started by MightyGiants, March 30, 2023, 08:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

That may be, but I was under the impression that the board frowned upon labelling people as haters.  And I don't recall Mara's critics here complaining about his league work, we complain about his Giants work.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 30, 2023, 09:07:00 PMThat may be, but I was under the impression that the board frowned upon labelling people as haters.  And I don't recall Mara's critics here complaining about his league work, we complain about his Giants work.
Agreed, I'd have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Mara if he just stopped talking to the media. Do what Tisch does, you can be an owner and avoid the mic, or at minimum say pass to some questions that might undermine you GM. It just seems like time and time again he puts his foot in his mouth.

Just_jimmy

Maras biggest issue is that he's a fan with power and he cares too much.

It's hard to be objective when you're that close.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Stringer Bell

kartanoman

Quote from: Just_jimmy on March 31, 2023, 03:15:29 AMMaras biggest issue is that he's a fan with power and he cares too much.

It's hard to be objective when you're that close.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

There is some truth to this, and it can be suggested it led to history repeating itself (i.e. "The Wilderness Years, the Original and Sequel").

I don't believe anyone would suggest he doesn't care about the fans of the Giants. After all, he had a front seat watching his father's frustration in failing his team's fans, yet his dad took the time to respond to every letter a fan would write him. Think about that, for a moment.

John Mara is deeply involved in multiple NFL committees which continue to shape and evolve the game into the modern age. Competition and player safety are but a few. That is someone who is dedicated to serving for what he feels is making the Giants, and NFL, the best they can be. But sometimes, his NFL duties preclude the ability to take care of his Giants business and I would imagine he does a lot of delegation of authority on his Giants duties. In some cases, what are the chances a bad decision was made not by his hand, but by his delegates? Perhaps this is why Joe Schoen, and the authority he carries, has made John's life a little bit easier these days.

John Mara is a good man. He is tremendously resource constrained and may spend more time in NFL League matters, than he cares to, than with his beloved Giants. For several years, his staff let him down and made him look very bad. He found the right man to run the Giants operation and things are ticking along again. This happens in the corporate world all the time, and you see it in government as well.

John Mara must answer to the customer. If you have season tickets, NFL Game Pass, Season Ticket or the new Sunday Ticket service debuting on YouTube this coming fall, you are a customer. You are entitled to express to him how he is doing with his product on the field, on the TV and all the "Giants stuff" available from NFL Properties or other licensed distributors.

To say you hate the guy, after:
- he publicly admitted he screwed up his QB
- went out and conducted a real search for the best GM candidate, and found and hired him
-let that GM build the operation according to the vision and mission statement he sold Mara
- partnered with the Jets and NJSEA, with input from the NFLPA and his players, to pull the old turf and select the latest best in class turf with the intention of reducing non-contact injuries to joints
- tirelessly serves on NFL committees dedicated to fair competition, and player safety, in addition to his role with the Giants

I, for one, admire such an individual who gives much of himself for so many important causes within the game, and I haven't even begun discussing the many wonderful things he does in terms of philanthropy outside of Football.

If this is a person you hate, so be it. Mike Styvik is a meat head, I'm pretty sure John Mara isn't (sorry, Slugsy!).

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 31, 2023, 07:18:02 AM"I don't care about the haters" is such a lazy and juvenile construct. Reminds me of the former president.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

"Haters"

That's funny!!!

I have never seen anyone say they hate Mara!

I call him Meathead when he runs his mouth where he should say less and not more and just defer to his GM instead but doesn't mean I hate the man!  Being critical doesn't = hate.

You can not approve of the man's actions and words in how he runs the Giants, doesn't mean you hate the man.  So I think the title of this topics is poorly worded and inflammatory.

I agree with other posts here, I thought this kind of topics and accusations wasn't permitted here. And the mods should have the title changed if we are going to follow the rules here for all.

Or is it "Rules for thee but not for me" here too.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on March 31, 2023, 07:57:47 AM"Haters"

That's funny!!!

I have never seen anyone say they hate Mara!

I call him Meathead when he runs his mouth where he should say less and not more and just defer to his GM instead but doesn't mean I hate the man!  Being critical doesn't = hate.

You can not approve of the man's actions and words in how he runs the Giants, doesn't mean you hate the man.  So I think the title of this topics is poorly worded and inflammatory.

I agree with other posts here, I thought this kind of topics and accusations wasn't permitted here. And the mods should have the title changed if we are going to follow the rules here for all.

Or is it "Rules for thee but not for me" here too.

Speaking of rules, did you ever bother to read this one?

QuoteCivility and Respect for each other, the players, Coaches, the Organization, the Officials and the League. Treat others with the respect you expect to be treated and never say something to someone you wouldn't say to their face." 

So do you think calling the owner of the Giants the man who fights for you (when you certainly don't deserve it) as a fan a meathead would be following the part of the rule I posted (it's tacked up on the top of the forum)?

You readily admit to repeatedly breaking the forum's rules, but suddenly you are up in arms because the term "haters" was used, and you assumed that must apply to you.  I think, much like the term haters are going to hate; your comments say more about you than it does about your intended target.

WHAT DOES HATERS GONNA HATE MEAN?

Haters gonna hate is an informal way to express consolation, voice encouragement, or dismiss criticism. The phrase implies that criticism says more about the critic, or "hater," than the person being criticized,

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/haters-gonna-hate/#:~:text=Haters%20gonna%20hate%20is%20an,jealousy%20or%20their%20own%20negativity.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

To the people who are pissed off by what I said, I am a man who believes strongly in loyalty.  That is a trait I control, and I value it greatly.  If John Mara is going to fight for me, I will have his back; he can count on it.  Sorry if that offends you.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimc

Folks this is a business and we are pseudo "shareholders".  I believe the owner can say and do whatever he wishes with his business.  We as the stockholders can do and say what we wish and even complain when the owner isn't running the business like the shareholders wish.  But, in the end if we don't agree, we can just divest our shares.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimc on March 31, 2023, 08:19:58 AMFolks this is a business and we are pseudo "shareholders".  I believe the owner can say and do whatever he wishes with his business.  We as the stockholders can do and say what we wish and even complain when the owner isn't running the business like the shareholders wish.  But, in the end if we don't agree, we can just divest our shares.

A good man can make mistakes.   My issue is when you decide to demonize the man instead of just addressing the actions.   Say what you will about some of Mara's decisions, but John Mara the man is a good man.  A man who cares about his team and about the fans, of that, I have no question.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Another day of "whatabouts" in 2023 America.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin