News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I respect John Mara

Started by MightyGiants, March 30, 2023, 08:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Jim

If the Thursday night flex goes through, Mara can apologize to Giants fans with a free Pepsi on Thursday nights.

Trench

Quote from: kartanoman on March 31, 2023, 07:34:58 AMThere is some truth to this, and it can be suggested it led to history repeating itself (i.e. "The Wilderness Years, the Original and Sequel").

I don't believe anyone would suggest he doesn't care about the fans of the Giants. After all, he had a front seat watching his father's frustration in failing his team's fans, yet his dad took the time to respond to every letter a fan would write him. Think about that, for a moment.

John Mara is deeply involved in multiple NFL committees which continue to shape and evolve the game into the modern age. Competition and player safety are but a few. That is someone who is dedicated to serving for what he feels is making the Giants, and NFL, the best they can be. But sometimes, his NFL duties preclude the ability to take care of his Giants business and I would imagine he does a lot of delegation of authority on his Giants duties. In some cases, what are the chances a bad decision was made not by his hand, but by his delegates? Perhaps this is why Joe Schoen, and the authority he carries, has made John's life a little bit easier these days.

John Mara is a good man. He is tremendously resource constrained and may spend more time in NFL League matters, than he cares to, than with his beloved Giants. For several years, his staff let him down and made him look very bad. He found the right man to run the Giants operation and things are ticking along again. This happens in the corporate world all the time, and you see it in government as well.

John Mara must answer to the customer. If you have season tickets, NFL Game Pass, Season Ticket or the new Sunday Ticket service debuting on YouTube this coming fall, you are a customer. You are entitled to express to him how he is doing with his product on the field, on the TV and all the "Giants stuff" available from NFL Properties or other licensed distributors.

To say you hate the guy, after:
- he publicly admitted he screwed up his QB
- went out and conducted a real search for the best GM candidate, and found and hired him
-let that GM build the operation according to the vision and mission statement he sold Mara
- partnered with the Jets and NJSEA, with input from the NFLPA and his players, to pull the old turf and select the latest best in class turf with the intention of reducing non-contact injuries to joints
- tirelessly serves on NFL committees dedicated to fair competition, and player safety, in addition to his role with the Giants

I, for one, admire such an individual who gives much of himself for so many important causes within the game, and I haven't even begun discussing the many wonderful things he does in terms of philanthropy outside of Football.

If this is a person you hate, so be it. Mike Styvik is a meat head, I'm pretty sure John Mara isn't (sorry, Slugsy!).

Peace!

Well said

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 31, 2023, 08:12:28 AMTo the people who are pissed off by what I said, I am a man who believes strongly in loyalty.  That is a trait I control, and I value it greatly.  If John Mara is going to fight for me, I will have his back; he can count on it.  Sorry if that offends you.

You can have have his back without calling names.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 31, 2023, 12:15:51 PMYou can have have his back without calling names.

So you're okay when Mara is called a "meathead," but you are up in arms when the term "haters" is floated out there, directed at no one in particular?   That seems somewhat selective.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 31, 2023, 12:19:53 PMSo you're okay when Mara is called a "meathead," but you are up in arms when the term "haters" is floated out there, directed at no one in particular?   That seems somewhat selective.

No, as I think as Slugsy will confirm I confronted him about that.  But there is the additional fact that you are on the leadership of the board and love to preach at us about board decorum.  Leading by example is far more effective than leading by preaching.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Greenzone

We are extremely fortunate to have John Mara as an owner of our favorite team. But fans are in no way shareholders, unless, perhaps if you have a PSL, which gives a tiny say in matters of the team.

Regardless, John was brought up right by his amazing dad, who I met once and got to shake his hand. Amazing aura around him.

But I do wish that John would speak up more against the infiltration of political wokeness that Goodell has injected into the game (perhaps he done that privately). Keep football away from the pressures of politics of the day or pressure to be politically correct.

It's an escape and has some real life lessons that come from the athletes (who do have every right to speak politically, as even an owner does, but speaking for themselves).

But John is a faith, family and football kind of guy, the bedrock of a solid organization.

Bob In PA

A good man.  IMO this particular "Mr. Mara" has at last (IMO) grown into his role as head of the team.

In his youthful years, passion for the team and his players occasionally got in the way of objective judgment.

IMO he has learned how to make his opinion known w/out infringing on his GM's ability to do the job unencumbered.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Rambo89

Quote from: jimc on March 31, 2023, 08:19:58 AMFolks this is a business and we are pseudo "shareholders".  I believe the owner can say and do whatever he wishes with his business.  We as the stockholders can do and say what we wish and even complain when the owner isn't running the business like the shareholders wish.  But, in the end if we don't agree, we can just divest our shares.

This is true and when he built that Tin Can in the Meadowlands with the Jets he basically told fans that cares little about them and more about his businesses profits.  Which is his right as an owner running a business.  Still doesn't make him someone who cares about his fans.

On the football side of things when John Mara finally takes a step back and is as visible and vocal as Steve Tisch is when I will begin to respect him. Until then I just see him as another wealthy guy who inherited his Dad's business.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

I don't think people hate John Mara or think he's a bad guy. I think many fans get frustrated with him because he runs his mouth a lot and has also made a ton of really poor decisions that directly contributed to this team being the disaster it was for nearly a decade under his watch. I don't get the sense that people here (apart from perhaps one or two) have a big problem with the guy on a personal level. I think many lack respect for him as an NFL owner but not as a human being.

And I would also add that many who have been highly critical of him as an owner have noted for a good year now that they feel he is finally showing some common sense and doing real due diligence around hiring (instead of just asking Ernie Accorsi or Charlie Casserly whom he should hire next and not interviewing anyone else).

jimc

Quote from: Rambo89 on March 31, 2023, 05:13:09 PMThis is true and when he built that Tin Can in the Meadowlands with the Jets he basically told fans that cares little about them and more about his businesses profits.  Which is his right as an owner running a business.  Still doesn't make him someone who cares about his fans.

Curious, as to how you drew that conclusion?  If his business profits somewhat depends on the fans, then if he cares about his business, by default he cares about the fans. Your premise seems to lack logic.  That said, it is certainly your right to have your opinion.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

TONKA56

Quote from: jimc on April 01, 2023, 03:36:30 PMCurious, as to how you drew that conclusion?  If his business profits somewhat depends on the fans, then if he cares about his business, by default he cares about the fans. Your premise seems to lack logic.  That said, it is certainly your right to have your opinion.

I believe it has been suggested that as long as butts are in the seats the quality of the product on the field is not a concern.