News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jalin Hyatt explains why his 40 time wasn't as fast as some expected at the NFL

Started by MightyGiants, April 29, 2023, 07:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

One of Hyatt's biggest strengths is his speed. The former four-star recruit would routinely blow by defenders last season on his way to the end zone.

So it was a bit of a surprise when Hyatt only ran a 4.40 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Draft combine in early March.

The expectation was that Hyatt would run in the 4.3 range. Some folks even thought he had a shot to run a 4.29.

Hyatt didn't finish his workouts at the combine after running the 40 due to hamstring tightness.

On Thursday, at Tennessee's Pro Day, Hyatt explained that his hamstring tightened up before his first attempt at running the 40.

"My hamstring, it got a little tight before I ran the 40-yard dash and the routes," said Hyatt on Thursday. "I think it got tight after the vertical we did, and I felt it. But at the combine, I felt like I did pretty good. There were some times I wish I had a better time on some things. But that's just what it is. That's just how it is."

Hyatt didn't run the 40 at Tennessee's Pro Day on Thursday due to the positive feedback he's received from some NFL teams. But the former Vol said he felt he would run in the 4.3 range if he had to run it again.

"I felt like if I had to run, it would definitely be in the 4.3s," said Hyatt. "I felt good today. Hamstring, no issue. Felt loose. Felt very good. I was thinking about running it (the 40) to be honest. I was thinking about just going out there and running the 40, but just from the feedback I've been hearing from GMs and coaches, they're ok with my 40 so we're on to the next thing."

https://atozsports.com/nashville/jalin-hyatt-vols-40-time-dash-nfl-draft-combine-pro-day/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I'm happy they got Hyatt, but if you're going to make excuses as to why your time wasn't faster at the combine, then you shouldn't decline to run it in your pro day (unless you were fibbing at the combine and have something to hide). Either save the excuses and then don't run it again, or go out at your pro day in the comforts of home and show everyone you can be a 4.3 guy.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 29, 2023, 08:11:38 AMI'm happy they got Hyatt, but if you're going to make excuses as to why your time wasn't faster at the combine, then you shouldn't decline to run it in your pro day (unless you were fibbing at the combine and have something to hide). Either save the excuses and then don't run it again, or go out at your pro day in the comforts of home and show everyone you can be a 4.3 guy.

Fair point, although I have to think JH listened to his agent
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Frankly, he put his speed on tape all season in the toughest conference.  No reason to worry about it.  He's a great deep threat

bamagiantfan

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 29, 2023, 08:19:21 AMFrankly, he put his speed on tape all season in the toughest conference.  No reason to worry about it.  He's a great deep threat
I truly is amazing that any person would get caught up with his 40 times at the combine. My question for every one of them would be, "Did you see him play?" I watched him single-handedly (okay, Hendon Hooker helped out more than a little) rip open the back end of an Alabama secondary, three of whom have already been drafted, for 200+ yards and 5 TDs.

....but he fell to the 3rd Round because his 40-time was slow.  :what:
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 29, 2023, 08:29:06 AMI truly is amazing that any person would get caught up with his 40 times at the combine. My question for every one of them would be, "Did you see him play?" I watched him single-handedly (okay, Hendon Hooker helped out more than a little) rip open the back end of an Alabama secondary, three of whom have already been drafted, for 200+ yards and 5 TDs.

40 times are pretty important for WRs (and CBs).   That said, the Combine is more confirmation than anything else.  Professional scouts can do a good job estimating a 40-time just by watching tape.   As many a former scout and GM will tell you, the only time a Combine time matters is if it's much worse or better than expected.  That drives teams to go back and review the tapes. 

In Hyatt's case, a 4.4 is hardly "bad", just not the elite time his play suggests.   Still, I doubt any team changed their views based on that time (although maybe some did since he lasted longer than expected).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2023, 08:14:46 AMFair point, although I have to think JH listened to his agent

Well if he did, that looks like it may have been a mistake on his part, because he seems to have ended up going much later than many thought.

That's good news for us though obviously.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 29, 2023, 08:29:06 AMI truly is amazing that any person would get caught up with his 40 times at the combine. My question for every one of them would be, "Did you see him play?" I watched him single-handedly (okay, Hendon Hooker helped out more than a little) rip open the back end of an Alabama secondary, three of whom have already been drafted, for 200+ yards and 5 TDs.

I watched a number of Tennessee games this year (at least 4, and I think more than that), and I was consistently impressed with Hyatt. As I said in my first post of this thread, I am very happy they got him. I was only speaking to the stuff about the 40 time and his explanations around it and subsequent inaction at the pro day. It doesn't bother me, but it looks like it may have played a role in his falling.

Bob In PA

bama: As we know, he fell because he didn't play in a pro offense.

In his interview, he noted that he's played in pro offenses and knows all the routes and assignments.

At Tennessee he never had to fight off a CB to get into his routes, both because he played a lot from the slot and because when he did flank out, they almost always put another receiver out there with him so he (Hyatt) could usually then get a free release off the line of scrimmage.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 29, 2023, 09:02:27 AMbama: As we know, he fell because he didn't play in a pro offense.

In his interview, he noted that he's played in pro offenses and knows all the routes and assignments.

At Tennessee he never had to fight off a CB to get into his routes, both because he played a lot from the slot and because when he did flank out, they almost always put another receiver out there with him so he (Hyatt) could usually then get a free release off the line of scrimmage.

Bob

In the NFL it's not that difficult to scheme a WR so they still don't have to face press
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 29, 2023, 08:42:44 AMI watched a number of Tennessee games this year (at least 4, and I think more than that), and I was consistently impressed with Hyatt. As I said in my first post of this thread, I am very happy they got him. I was only speaking to the stuff about the 40 time and his explanations around it and subsequent inaction at the pro day. It doesn't bother me, but it looks like it may have played a role in his falling.

Just FYI, I wasn't criticizing you directly, more the over-weighted reliance some seem to have on the combine.  :ok:
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

killarich

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 29, 2023, 08:11:38 AMI'm happy they got Hyatt, but if you're going to make excuses as to why your time wasn't faster at the combine, then you shouldn't decline to run it in your pro day (unless you were fibbing at the combine and have something to hide). Either save the excuses and then don't run it again, or go out at your pro day in the comforts of home and show everyone you can be a 4.3 guy.

I agree

But if he already has the tape to prove his speed I wouldn't risk the hammy

It benefitted us ...if he runs a 4.3 he probably gets drafted before 73

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2023, 07:41:37 AMOne of Hyatt's biggest strengths is his speed. The former four-star recruit would routinely blow by defenders last season on his way to the end zone.

So it was a bit of a surprise when Hyatt only ran a 4.40 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Draft combine in early March.

The expectation was that Hyatt would run in the 4.3 range. Some folks even thought he had a shot to run a 4.29.

Hyatt didn't finish his workouts at the combine after running the 40 due to hamstring tightness.

On Thursday, at Tennessee's Pro Day, Hyatt explained that his hamstring tightened up before his first attempt at running the 40.

"My hamstring, it got a little tight before I ran the 40-yard dash and the routes," said Hyatt on Thursday. "I think it got tight after the vertical we did, and I felt it. But at the combine, I felt like I did pretty good. There were some times I wish I had a better time on some things. But that's just what it is. That's just how it is."

Hyatt didn't run the 40 at Tennessee's Pro Day on Thursday due to the positive feedback he's received from some NFL teams. But the former Vol said he felt he would run in the 4.3 range if he had to run it again.

"I felt like if I had to run, it would definitely be in the 4.3s," said Hyatt. "I felt good today. Hamstring, no issue. Felt loose. Felt very good. I was thinking about running it (the 40) to be honest. I was thinking about just going out there and running the 40, but just from the feedback I've been hearing from GMs and coaches, they're ok with my 40 so we're on to the next thing."

https://atozsports.com/nashville/jalin-hyatt-vols-40-time-dash-nfl-draft-combine-pro-day/

to me the bigger concern there is the fact he admits to hamstring issues
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

Can he run at that top speed when he has to cut and make breaks in his routes?  That is my biggest question about him otherwise I like the pick.

Zay Flowers seemed to be able to run his speed in all phases of pass routes which is why I liked him more but Hyatt may be able to as well.  I just did not see it.  Hyatt seemed to line up outside and run many near straight line routes.