News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Barkley rejected 2nd Contract Offer Worth up to $14M

Started by brownelvis54, May 13, 2023, 01:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: brownelvis54 on May 13, 2023, 08:08:19 PMIt would not surprise me if they trade Barkley for draft picks next year. We roll with gray, Brita, and brightwell
We would have to get another back as Breida is simply a gimmick back and Brightwell is strictly a special teams player, unless Corbin the UDFA surprises in year 2 but doubtful.

kingm56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 13, 2023, 08:32:50 PMWe would have to get another back as Breida is simply a gimmick back and Brightwell is strictly a special teams player, unless Corbin the UDFA surprises in year 2 but doubtful.

It would also have to be a team that's a real contender, with the cap room to absorb $12M, and are comfortable with a one year rental...that market is REALLY sparse, if it even exist.

Jclayton92

Quote from: kingm56 on May 13, 2023, 08:45:04 PMIt would also have to be a team that's a real contender, with the cap room to absorb $12M, and are comfortable with a one year rental...that market is REALLY sparse, if it even exist.
Schoen had multiple teams offer at least a day 2 pick last year and turned them away. Could have been day 2 ++++ but yeah he should have jumped.

Painter

It seems clear that the Giants are trying to keep Barkley beyond this year with what seems to be very generous offer. So, if he's not going to accept it, he's either going to play for a lot less under the tag, or not at all which means he'll have that much more to make up in a market  which we believe is already overpriced at the position.

Then again, we may be guessing wrong when we see not one but two RBs taken in Round 1 this year: Bijan Robinson at 10 and Jahmyr Gibbs at 12. Even so, those are RBs on first contract money ($5 million) not someone looking for McCaffrey money after just 3 of 5 productive years.

Cheers!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Philosophers

They will sign him.  For his leadership and ability, they'll find a way to make it work.

Gmo11

It's pretty wild that he turned down that last deal. I'm not sure what he's going to end up taking at the end of this season but even if he puts up a vintage Adrian Peterson year it'll be less than that offer. There's just no way to justify spending that much on a RB especially if your QB isn't on a rookie deal anymore.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on May 14, 2023, 08:34:39 AMIt's pretty wild that he turned down that last deal. I'm not sure what he's going to end up taking at the end of this season but even if he puts up a vintage Adrian Peterson year it'll be less than that offer. There's just no way to justify spending that much on a RB especially if your QB isn't on a rookie deal anymore.

I have to think his agent knows there is someone else out there who will pay the $16mm/yr that they want.

While the difference between $14m and $16m may seem a bit trifle to have a huge stand-off over, I can understand him wanting to max out on this contract and get as much as he possibly can. It's not like RBs play for that long. He is thinking about the rest of his life with this money, not just the next few years.

I'm surprised Schoen is willing to pay even $14m/per for more than a year. Barkley is a great talent, but he exhibited signs of decline last year, and we all know the track record of second RB contracts in general is not a good one at all.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 13, 2023, 08:32:50 PMWe would have to get another back as Breida is simply a gimmick back and Brightwell is strictly a special teams player, unless Corbin the UDFA surprises in year 2 but doubtful.
Jclay
This is the 2nd time I've read where you refer to Brightwell as "strictly a special teams player"
I'm curious why you believe that.

Do you not see him as a capable between the tackles RB? Is he a horrific blocker? Is he a poor receiver?

Or is it because he hasn't really been given enough of a look in any of these areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jclayton92

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on May 14, 2023, 08:48:51 AMJclay
This is the 2nd time I've read where you refer to Brightwell as "strictly a special teams player"
I'm curious why you believe that.

Do you not see him as a capable between the tackles RB? Is he a horrific blocker? Is he a poor receiver?

Or is it because he hasn't really been given enough of a look in any of these areas?

When he was taken out of college it was seen as strictly a specials pick. He played at Arizona for 4 years and didn't start until his senior year and when he finally got to start only put up 390 yards.

It's more than that though, his vision is absolutely horrible to the point that he can't take advantage of openings or lanes. He also has a tendency to get blown up by defenders because he doesn't understand leverage. For a RB his Ras score was absolutely horrible in the 4s. Especially concerning his agility, speed, or general athleticism.

Nothing about him screams starting or even backup running back in his tape. At best he's a Practice squad RB and a starter on specials. There just isn't anything there that warrants any faith that he could even be a number 2. The Corbin kid on our practice squad has significantly better college and preseason tape as a runner than Brightwell and it's not really even close.

Special teams is an important position, but I think he doesn't even make the roster this season because it just isn't there.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 14, 2023, 10:10:26 AMWhen he was taken out of college it was seen as strictly a specials pick. He played at Arizona for 4 years and didn't start until his senior year and when he finally got to start only put up 390 yards.

It's more than that though, his vision is absolutely horrible to the point that he can't take advantage of openings or lanes. He also has a tendency to get blown up by defenders because he doesn't understand leverage. For a RB his Ras score was absolutely horrible in the 4s. Especially concerning his agility, speed, or general athleticism.

Nothing about him screams starting or even backup running back in his tape. At best he's a Practice squad RB and a starter on specials. There just isn't anything there that warrants any faith that he could even be a number 2. The Corbin kid on our practice squad has significantly better college and preseason tape as a runner than Brightwell and it's not really even close.

Special teams is an important position, but I think he doesn't even make the roster this season because it just isn't there.

Agreed, and I haven't minded Brightwell given where we got him, but I don't view him as an RB who is going to be effective in the NFL getting meaningful snaps. I see him as more of a deep depth back and a special teams guy.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 14, 2023, 10:20:04 AMAgreed, and I haven't minded Brightwell given where we got him, but I don't view him as an RB who is going to be effective in the NFL getting meaningful snaps. I see him as more of a deep depth back and a special teams guy.
Here's a list of 5th-7th round running backs that have been taken day 3 from 2011 to 2021 that have had success.

Alfred Morris
• Devonta Freeman
• Jordan Howard
• Aaron Jones
• Chris Carson
• Jay Ajayi
• Lamar Miller
• Spencer Ware
• Latavius Murray
• James White
• Marlon Mack
• Tarik Cohen
• Alex Collins
• Zac Stacy
• Dion Lewis
• Bilal Powell
• Elijah Mitchell
• Tony Pollard
• Andre Ellington
• Roy Helu
• Mike Davis

He isn't even close to those guys sadly. They did this thing were they judged the common dominator of late round running backs that hit and found this.

That they are 5'10
Typically 210 lbs+
Have a Speed Score in the 60+ percentile
Had a college target share of 60+
Had a 60+ college dominator ranking
ANd from Small School more than likely

Brightwell is none of that, in fact the only one he got was the weight.

https://fffaceoff.com/diamonds-in-the-rough-late-round-rookie-running-backs/

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 14, 2023, 10:10:26 AMWhen he was taken out of college it was seen as strictly a specials pick. He played at Arizona for 4 years and didn't start until his senior year and when he finally got to start only put up 390 yards.

Very insightful observations. Thanks for your answer.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Painter

More than any other position, especially when your'e a one-man-show rushing/receiving: 5 years, 60 games, 1200 touches, not counting snaps blocking and faking, you are a huge risk.

Unfortunately, for the Giants, Barkley represents a disproportionate amount of their needed and anticipated reward. I can't say I blame him or his agent when they have seen the Niners about to pay McCaffrey $17.2 million (36.3 guaranteed) for having played just 11 games for them last season which was only a little more than he did for Carolina in his previous 3 years combined which is why after 6 years they were happy to trade him.

And I suspect that it hasn't gone unnoticed that they just signed Darren Waller for $7 Million. Of course, it might have been more had he played more than 75 games in the past 7 years.

Cheers!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Painter on May 14, 2023, 02:36:14 PMMore than any other position, especially when your'e a one-man-show rushing/receiving: 5 years, 60 games, 1200 touches, not counting snaps blocking and faking, you are a huge risk.

Unfortunately, for the Giants, Barkley represents a disproportionate amount of their needed and anticipated reward. I can't say I blame him or his agent when they have seen the Niners about to pay McCaffrey $17.2 million (36.3 guaranteed) for having played just 11 games for them last season which was only a little more than he did for Carolina in his previous 3 years combined which is why after 6 years they were happy to trade him.

And I suspect that it hasn't gone unnoticed that they just signed Darren Waller for $7 Million. Of course, it might have been more had he played more than 75 games in the past 7 years.

Cheers!

Solid points

coggs

I would have to see (and we likely never will) exactly how the offer was structured.  Was it HEAVY incentive based with little guaranteed money?  Or, was it good guaranteed money and some reasonably obtainable incentives?  Simply saying, "...up to $14MM per year...." is nowhere near enough info for me to say, "Barkley can eff off if he won't accept that...."