News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jarrad Davis underwent an undisclosed surgery this summer and is expected to be

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2023, 06:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

QuoteGiants middle linebacker Jarrad Davis underwent an undisclosed surgery this summer and is expected to be out long-term, league sources told the Daily News.

Davis, 28, was manning the middle of Wink Martindale's first-string defense this spring alongside pricey weakside signing Bobby Okereke.

In his absence, second-year pros Micah McFadden and Darrian Beavers are the next men up on Brian Daboll and Joe Schoen's roster.

more

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-davis-surgery-20230711-ar4wythfondnxdaoaslazpy32q-story.html
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Pretty amazing this can happen under the radar these days.

DaveBrown74

Not a total disaster, but not the best news either. We're incredibly weak at this position outside of one player, and this guy, while obviously not particularly great, is a veteran ILB with NFL experience.

We may need to sign someone.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 11, 2023, 06:28:53 PMNot a total disaster, but not the best news either. We're incredibly weak at this position outside of one player, and this guy, while obviously not particularly great, is a veteran ILB with NFL experience.

We may need to sign someone.

Last year's starting ILB is still a free agent.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 11, 2023, 06:55:30 PMLast year's starting ILB is still a free agent.

I'd like to think (or hope) we can do better than that between now and final cut-downs.

Jclayton92

I'll throw my remote if I have to see Micah McFadden start because Schoen wouldn't sign a vet min to Kwon Alexander, Zach Cunningham, Myles Jack, or Deion Jones who are all still free agents.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 11, 2023, 09:19:03 PMI'll throw my remote if I have to see Micah McFadden start because Schoen wouldn't sign a vet min to Kwon Alexander, Zach Cunningham, Myles Jack, or Deion Jones who are all still free agents.

Agreed. It's a non-premium position. We have managed to be awful at it for a while, but it's not that difficult to find a quasi-serviceable ILB2 for a reasonable price. My hope is that Beavers will end up being the guy. He might have been anyways, even if this Jarrad Davis thing never happened. I think that's what everyone was hoping. Obviously you need depth no matter what, so they'll almost certainly need to add someone, but replacing Jarrad Davis should not be exceedingly difficult.

Trench

Not sure why they would keep this a secret. Not a good look.

Let's hope we go get Deion Jones

madbadger

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 11, 2023, 06:28:53 PMWe may need to sign someone.

DB:... especially true inasmuch as Beavers is coming off a serious injury. 

The "key man" to watch is Micah McFadden.  He certainly has the "smarts" and effort.

I like him a lot in general but question whether he has enough speed to be a 3-down player. 

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Here is the ILB depth chart (per Ourlads)

WLB   58   Okereke, Bobby U/Ind   41   McFadden, Micah 22/5   47   Brown, Cam 20/6   46   Brown, Troy CF23      

MLB   57   Davis, Jarrad P/Det   43   Beavers, Darrian 22/6   52   Coughlin, Carter 20/7   54   Johnson, Dyontae CF23

The Giants hosted former Falcons' linebacker Deion Jones in April, and he remains available.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

More intel

QuoteGiants general manager Joe Schoen declined to get into the details of what's going on with Davis during a text exchange and said "I'm not sure how long (Davis) will be out."

The New York Post reported that Davis underwent knee surgery.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2023/07/giants-starting-linebacker-expected-to-be-out-for-start-of-training-camp-with-undisclosed-injury.html

The most common type of knee surgery would be an ACL (in which case they would know he is out for the season), or perhaps it involved the meniscus which has recovery times ranging from 6 weeks to 3 months.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

It really may be a rough break for Davis who might have gotten a good chance to prove he belongs in the lineup regularly. 

I think the signing of Okereke softens the blow a bit for the team. I doubt whoever is slotted for that position would be playing 3 downs given the amount of sub packages teams use.  It's really a situational role that really depends on down and distance.

Jclayton92

I'd likely take the over that Dyontae Johnson or Troy Brown makes the roster now.

True Blue

Good opportunity for Troy Brown. I'd be on board for Kwon or Jack though.