News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jordan Raanan's thoughts for the game

Started by MightyGiants, September 10, 2023, 08:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Some thoughts on the #Giants as they head into their season opener Sunday night vs. the #Cowboys:

— The Giants settled on two guards. It's going to be Ben Bredeson at LG, Mark Glowinski at RG, per source. Not a surprise. Same as last year. That is what was listed on their "unofficial" depth chart for Week 1.

— Really big game for Giants to show they've leveled up this offseason. They've lost 11 of 12 to Dallas after getting swept last year.

— WR rotation will be interesting. It's Darius Slayton and Isaiah Hodgins on outside. Parris Campbell in slot. Jalin Hyatt and Sterling Shepard will be sprinkled in to some degree. Wan'Dale Robinson probably back next week off ACL.

— Expecting to see newly acquired Isaiah Simmons plenty this week and moving forward. Plenty of snaps for him as a sub-package LB. Primarily as pass rusher from different spots.

— Rookie Eric Gray as the punt returner is a big risk. He's looked shaky catching the ball throughout the summer. Not a natural. Think it's a mistake that will bite them not having a true returner.

— Giants crossing fingers RT Evan Neal shows major improvement. If not, Cowboys pass rush will ruin the game. Combined with interior of OL, it's the biggest question for this Giants team this season.
8:01 AM · Sep 10, 2023
·
 Views

https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/1700842035496866092?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Interesting thoughts on Grey returning punts, especially if the weather is bad.

Trench

I actually thought Gray looked sure handed in preseason.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on September 10, 2023, 08:24:33 AMInteresting thoughts on Grey returning punts, especially if the weather is bad.

The Commanders claimed Crowder when the Giants cut him.  They elevated him from the PS to presumably return punts.  It will be interesting if the Giants keeping injured Beasley instead of Crowder could prove to be a mistake.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Trench on September 10, 2023, 08:42:40 AMI actually thought Gray looked sure handed in preseason.
Trench: I admit Ranaan probably saw more of Gray catching punts than I did, but from what I saw I agree w/you. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 10, 2023, 09:03:57 AMTrench: I admit Ranaan probably saw more of Gray catching punts than I did, but from what I saw I agree w/you. Bob
I thought he looked shaky too. Taiwan Smith elevated.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 10, 2023, 08:53:47 AMThe Commanders claimed Crowder when the Giants cut him.  They elevated him from the PS to presumably return punts.  It will be interesting if the Giants keeping injured Beasley instead of Crowder could prove to be a mistake.

Agreed.

My guess (and this is purely a guess and not anything I have heard Schoen or Daboll say) is that they view the PS as first and foremost a developmental entity designed to improve players who they feel have a shot of becoming NFL caliber players, but as a secondary function it might also make sense to keep an older vet or two there for whom they don't have immediate room on the roster but who plays a position where their primary guys are injury prone or otherwise uncertain players. I think it's fair to say that both Wan'Dale and Shep fall into this category.

As for deciding on Beasley over Crowder specifically, I suspect it came down to going with someone they felt was much more familiar with the system than the other and whom they could more implicitly trust in a pinch.

I would say if Wan'Dale does not have a season in which he takes a leap forward (including if the reason is injuries), the Giants could be looking for a new slot man in the 2024 offseason.

4 Aces

Bisignano reported the same RE: Gray on Giants Insider.

I'm not sure why, but the Giants just don't take the PR position seriously. It's almost like they intentionally sabotage themselves.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: 4 Aces on September 10, 2023, 09:23:19 AMBisignano reported the same RE: Gray on Giants Insider.

I'm not sure why, but the Giants just don't take the PR position seriously. It's almost like they intentionally sabotage themselves.

I don't get it either and it bugs me. There is A LOT more to specials than just having a dependable kicker.

Jclayton92

The thing that irks me is that they rotated the interior all camp when we all knew what the lineup was going to be. Why not give those guys time to sync with JMS and have unity instead of a constant rotation.

MightyGiants

Connor Hughes
@Connor_J_Hughes
#Giants vs #Cowboys on #SNF. A few thoughts + my pick for the game.

- Darren Waller's availability is huge. He's the focal point of this passing attack and, when healthy, maybe the NFL's most physically gifted tight end. He absolutely dominated throughout the summer. He and Daniel Jones have impressive chemistry, evident by their lone series together in the preseason. They need him for their passing attack to meet a new level.

- I don't know if the Giants, Waller are completely through it yet, tho. Hamstrings are scary. Both because of how easy they are to worsen, but also their tendency to linger & nag. Add in Waller's history with them and .. not ideal. There will be some breath holding tonight, even though he'll play.

- I'm fascinated to see the rotation at receiver. The #NYG have a number of players who can contribute. How will Brian Daboll & Mike Kafka deploy them? The one I'm most excited to see: Jalin Hyatt. He's not going to see the lion's share of reps, but you can't coach his speed so you know the Giants will take a few shots in his direction.

- The pass protection absolutely has to hold up. I'm not overly concerned with Andrew Thomas. Evan Neal is another story. He didn't have an inspiring summer. The Giants can't survive 2023 if he doesn't take a major step toward.

- Kayvon Thibodeaux said he doesn't love prime time — prime time loves him. That was certainly the case in the second game against the #Commanders last year. KT was everywhere. The Giants could use a similar performance against  Dallas to pull the upset.

- He's not going to be an every-down player, but I get the sense you'll need to know where Isaiah Simmons is whenever he's on the field. Wink Martindale gave him the highest grade of any player coming out that year. Time for him to show why.

- Joe Schoen set the tone for the offseason right after the Giants lost to the Eagles — close the gap. Now it's time to see how far they've come. Prime time, at home, improved roster, against a team you've lost 11 of the last 12 to. Beat Dallas.

- My pick: NYG +3.5. I don't know if the Giants pull the upset, but I do see this as a close one either way.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

For the last few years Dallas has used a lot of stunts and twists in their pass rush.  Hope this OL is better prepared than we have seen over the last few years.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 10, 2023, 09:49:18 AMThe thing that irks me is that they rotated the interior all camp when we all knew what the lineup was going to be. Why not give those guys time to sync with JMS and have unity instead of a constant rotation.

I think they were getting guys reps to play multiple positions and gain experience as a number are still developing as players.

They also gave everyone a chance to win the position!

We have a good HC and OLINE coach it seems.  Gotta entrust their methods I guess.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 10, 2023, 10:01:37 AMFor the last few years Dallas has used a lot of stunts and twists in their pass rush.  Hope this OL is better prepared than we have seen over the last few years.

This is where our rookie C is going to have to show up huge!  This is a big test for him!  He passes it and it could be a huge step forward for this OLINE!

If Neal is improved and the C is improved Glow should have less to worry about and play should improve.

GMenRF

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 10, 2023, 08:53:47 AMThe Commanders claimed Crowder when the Giants cut him.  They elevated him from the PS to presumably return punts.  It will be interesting if the Giants keeping injured Beasley instead of Crowder could prove to be a mistake.

Hence the signing of Taiwan Jones.  Not going to be surprised if hes returning kicks by week 2